The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Future of Trek (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Were there any people having open relationships in Trek? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=211024)

Lt. Cheka Wey April 29 2013 05:59 AM

Were there any people having open relationships in Trek?
 
If not, should there be in the future?

DonIago April 29 2013 06:52 AM

Re: Were there any people having open relationships in Trek?
 
Why not? How is it anyone's business other than the people in the relationship?

Melakon April 29 2013 07:08 AM

Re: Were there any people having open relationships in Trek?
 
Quote:

Lt. Cheka Wey wrote: (Post 8017432)
If not, should there be in the future?

What do you think?

It's sort of odd to ask a question like this, but not state your opinion on it first. Looks sort of like you're lighting a firecracker and waiting for the excitement to start.

As to the first question, I'm not sure if it was ever made clear. As to the second, there are people in such relationships now, so why wouldn't there be some in the future?

Timelord Victorious April 29 2013 09:50 AM

Re: Were there any people having open relationships in Trek?
 
Are you asking for specific cases shown on screen?

Jadzia was implied to date that freighter captain with the transparent skull which didn't seem to be exclusive.

T'Girl April 29 2013 10:09 AM

Re: Were there any people having open relationships in Trek?
 
Kind of a oxymoron really. If you have a "open relationship" you don't actual have a relationship.

I can't right off hand think of anyone in any of the series engaging is such a pretense.


:)

Bry_Sinclair April 29 2013 10:18 AM

Re: Were there any people having open relationships in Trek?
 
Kirk definatelty was :)

Dream April 29 2013 12:44 PM

Re: Were there any people having open relationships in Trek?
 
Quote:

Bry_Sinclair wrote: (Post 8017831)
Kirk definatelty was :)

That's not being in an open relationship, it was being a slut.

DonIago April 29 2013 03:48 PM

Re: Were there any people having open relationships in Trek?
 
Quote:

T'Girl wrote: (Post 8017822)
Kind of a oxymoron really. If you have a "open relationship" you don't actual have a relationship.

I can't right off hand think of anyone in any of the series engaging is such a pretense.


:)

I have to disagree that an open relationship isn't a relationship. It's quite possible to be committed primarily to one or more people (not all relationships involve only two people) but have an arrangement whereby you're allowed to be intimate with others as long as it remains secondary to the existing relationship. Sometimes this may mean the other parties have to consent to one's choice of external partner, other times it may mean an external partner may only be brought in when everyone in the existing relationship is present (or chooses not to be).

In any case, I really don't care what the parameters of others' relationships are as long as nobody's being harmed.

Bry_Sinclair April 29 2013 03:56 PM

Re: Were there any people having open relationships in Trek?
 
Quote:

Dream wrote: (Post 8018065)
Quote:

Bry_Sinclair wrote: (Post 8017831)
Kirk definatelty was :)

That's not being in an open relationship, it was being a slut.

Very true.

horatio83 April 29 2013 04:00 PM

Re: Were there any people having open relationships in Trek?
 
Quote:

T'Girl wrote: (Post 8017822)
Kind of a oxymoron really. If you have a "open relationship" you don't actual have a relationship.

I can't right off hand think of anyone in any of the series engaging is such a pretense.


:)

Sartre and Beauvoir. It is not pretense just because you are unable to imagine that there are people who wanna be together but don't mind it if their partner has sex with other people. For most people sexual fidelity and the commitment of a relationship go hand in hand but for some the latter is possible without the former.

Lt. Cheka Wey April 29 2013 04:36 PM

Re: Were there any people having open relationships in Trek?
 
Quote:

Melakon wrote: (Post 8017561)
Quote:

Lt. Cheka Wey wrote: (Post 8017432)
If not, should there be in the future?

What do you think?

It's sort of odd to ask a question like this, but not state your opinion on it first. Looks sort of like you're lighting a firecracker and waiting for the excitement to start.

As to the first question, I'm not sure if it was ever made clear. As to the second, there are people in such relationships now, so why wouldn't there be some in the future?

I would have no problem withcharacters having open relationships. Some would fail and some would succed.

R. Star April 29 2013 10:21 PM

Re: Were there any people having open relationships in Trek?
 
Troi and Riker maybe? Troi kept the home fires burning for Riker even while he pranced around with every alien chick of the week.

Dream April 29 2013 10:34 PM

Re: Were there any people having open relationships in Trek?
 
Quote:

R. Star wrote: (Post 8020594)
Troi and Riker maybe? Troi kept the home fires burning for Riker even while he pranced around with every alien chick of the week.

Well, it's not like Trio didn't date other people. What about the guy in "The Price" and Worf later on in the series?

Riker and Troi's romantic relationship was pretty much over at that point. I guess the feelings they had for each other were never truly gone, since the radiation from the planet in "Insurrection" was able to bring those feelings back to the surface.

Melakon April 30 2013 02:33 AM

Re: Were there any people having open relationships in Trek?
 
Phlox on Enterprise is probably the closest example. He has 3 wives, who each have 3 husbands, who in turn have 3 wives... apparently into infinity, and says he has several dozen possible partners in this arrangement. And he seems to consider Ensign Cutler's suggestion of an extramarital relationship.

Shaka Zulu April 30 2013 06:47 PM

Re: Were there any people having open relationships in Trek?
 
Quote:

Dream wrote: (Post 8018065)
Quote:

Bry_Sinclair wrote: (Post 8017831)
Kirk definatelty was :)

That's not being in an open relationship, it was being a slut.

Just like this real life guy used to be when he was married to Rita Hayworth. :rommie:


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.