The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   TV & Media (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   "The Lion King" and "Lady and the Tramp" going back in vault in April (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=210928)

Dream April 28 2013 10:06 AM

"The Lion King" and "Lady and the Tramp" going back in vault in April

"The Lion King" and "Lady and the Tramp" are going back into the Disney vault starting on April 30th. Get the Blu-Rays before they triple in price.

wissaboo April 28 2013 03:19 PM

Re: "The Lion King" and "Lady and the Tramp" going back in vault in Ap

you know, that whole "in the vault" marketing ploy is why I stopped buying disney movies.

ATimson April 28 2013 04:57 PM

Quote:

wissaboo wrote: (Post 8014195)
you know, that whole "in the vault" marketing ploy is why I stopped buying disney movies.

Other companies will happily let their DVDs go out of print. Disney is just one of the few to warn you ahead of time. :p

Mr. Laser Beam April 28 2013 09:38 PM

Does this also apply to the iTunes Store? Will these films get yanked from there as well?

Emh April 28 2013 10:43 PM

I've always thought this was an incredibly stupid marketing ploy, even more so in this day and age of the internet. Disney is practically encouraging people to illegally download their movies.

Brolan April 28 2013 11:32 PM

With Amazon's used sellers and Ebay there is rarely a problem getting a movie.

Alidar Jarok April 29 2013 12:40 AM

Quote:

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: (Post 8015614)
Does this also apply to the iTunes Store? Will these films get yanked from there as well?

I'm curious about Netflix now that they have a contract with Disney.

J. Allen April 29 2013 05:42 AM

Quote:

Brolan wrote: (Post 8016046)
With Amazon's used sellers and Ebay there is rarely a problem getting a movie.

True, but you'll pay anywhere from 3 to 10 times the price. I remember when Titanic DVDs were going for $75 each on Amazon.com Marketplace. This was less than two years ago.

Mr. Laser Beam April 29 2013 03:34 PM

Quote:

Emh wrote: (Post 8015848)
I've always thought this was an incredibly stupid marketing ploy, even more so in this day and age of the internet. Disney is practically encouraging people to illegally download their movies.

This is probably aimed at families who may not know how to get movies any way other than 100% legal.

tighr April 29 2013 05:31 PM

Quote:

Emh wrote: (Post 8015848)

The vault works the other way, too. It's keeping people from buying their products that HAVEN'T been released yet. I've been waiting for Aladdin on Blu-Ray (it is my favorite Disney animated feature), but it's been stuck in the vault. It was supposed to get released this year, but was cancelled. There's a region-free version on Amazon, but it's got no bonus features, and I'm not sure if it's been remastered.

Sure, I could download a low quality rip, but I would prefer to have the highest quality transfer there is, as well as the Diamond Edition keepcase.

tomswift2002 April 29 2013 09:04 PM

Of course there are some movies that I wish Disney would put back in their vaults ("The Great Locomotive Chase") so that we could get a better remastered version (the DVD that's currently out for TGLC uses the letterbox version that was created for the Laserdisc back in the 80's, even though the menu is in anamorphic widescreen, and TGLC, because it was mostly shot outdoors, would be one of those gret films to showcase Blu-Ray's resolution.)

feek61 April 29 2013 11:09 PM

I think the "in the vault" thing is an outdated marketing ploy these days due to the internet. Back when these things would come out on video tape for a period of time and then go away; it was much more effective. These days, it's a outdated notion to say the least.

Keith1701 April 30 2013 04:15 AM

Quote:

Dream wrote: (Post 8013553)
"The Lion King" and "Lady and the Tramp" are going back into the Disney vault starting on April 30th. Get the Blu-Rays before they triple in price.

Lady and the Tramp is a great Disney show.