The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Actor's that have not yet starred in a superhero movie or scifi movie (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=210751)

Samurai8472 April 26 2013 06:33 PM

Actor's that have not yet starred in a superhero movie or scifi movie

Which actors would you like to see in a scifi or superhero movie?

For superhero movies it's the latest trend sweeping Hollywood. Even veterans like Robert Redford are getting into it.

Someone brought up Matthew mcconaughey. He could be a good Gambit

Dicaprio was rumored to play Peter Parker before Maguire was cast. Dicaprio might have even tossed the role to Maguire. They're best friends

Jake Gyllenhaal could be a good Green Lantern

Has Meryl Streep ever done a scifi movie? or is that beneath her?

trekkiebaggio April 26 2013 06:36 PM

Re: Actor's that have not yet starred in a superhero movie or scifi mo

She did Death Becomes Her, that's kind of sci-fi/fantasy.

auntiehill April 26 2013 11:17 PM

ACTORS. No apostrophe needed.

Josh Holloway from LOST would be my choice for Gambit, btw.

Meryl Streep also did "Defending Your Life," the comedy/romance/fantasy set in the Afterlife way-station. She seems pretty down to earth (no pun intended), so I doubt she sees any role as "beneath her." Hell, if she can do a musical full of ABBA songs, she can probably stomach anything. :lol:

Colin Firth has done some fantasy--"Dorian Gray" and "Nanny McPhee"--but I wouldn't mind seeing him in more scifi types of roles. He can fit into just about anything.

Mcconaughey, of course, was in "Reign of Fire." I can see him in other scifi/apocalyptic-type movies.

Bradley Cooper would be good, too. I can see him in a scifi film easily. He's apparently been trying for some time to get Dan Simmons's "Hyperion" made into a movie

Rķu rķu, chķu April 26 2013 11:22 PM

Sam Waterston is one of my favorite actors. I know he's not exactly a young man, but there's gotta be some kind of scifi role for him to play.

When he's not selling Robot Attack Insurance, of course.

Greg Cox April 27 2013 12:26 AM

Quote:

auntiehill wrote: (Post 8007451)

Bradley Cooper would be good, too. I can see him in a scifi film easily. He's apparently been trying for some time to get Dan Simmons's "Hyperion" made into a movie

Wasn't he in some thriller about an intelligence-enhancing drug?

And, of course, ALIAS crossed over into scifi on occasion . . .

auntiehill April 27 2013 12:30 AM

Oh yes: Limitless. That had a really cool premise--very interesting plot. The ending was a bit cliched, but I really liked Bradley in that. I was thinking of that as more of a straight-up thriller but it certainly could be called science fiction.

Turtletrekker April 27 2013 12:42 AM

Captain America: The Winter Soldier will be Robert Redford's first.

Samurai8472 April 27 2013 01:45 AM

"Space Cowboy" wasn't really a scifi movie but imagine Clint Eastwood fighting off aliens.

Greg Cox April 27 2013 03:19 AM

Quote:

Samurai8472 wrote: (Post 8007973)
"Space Cowboy" wasn't really a scifi movie but imagine Clint Eastwood fighting off aliens.

Well, speaking of scifi, Eastwood did make his debut in Revenge of the Creature back in the 50's . . ..

And, of course, a young Robert Redford starred in a classic episode of The Twilight Zone.. . . playing Death no less!

Mike Farley April 27 2013 04:39 AM

Quote:

Mcconaughey, of course, was in "Reign of Fire." I can see him in other scifi/apocalyptic-type movies.

McConaughey was also in CONTACT.

Admiral_Young April 27 2013 04:52 AM

Daniel Day Lewis would be fantastic in "Doctor Strange" as Stephen Strange. Bradley Cooper has long been rumoured as Barry Allen in "The Flash" film. Kevin Smith wanted Jake Gyllenhall for Britt Reid in his abandoned "Green Hornet" script.

Mr. Adventure April 27 2013 04:53 AM

Quote:

I liked Firefox quite a bit as a kid but that's one of those borderline films where it's technically sci-fi but isn't usually thought of as such.

Quote:

Mike Farley wrote: (Post 8008609)
Quote:

McConaughey was also in CONTACT.

He's going to be in Nolan's Interstellar which I'm assuming is sci-fi.

Tosk April 27 2013 05:03 AM

Quote:

Greg Cox wrote: (Post 8008291)
Quote:

Well, speaking of scifi, Eastwood did make his debut in Revenge of the Creature back in the 50's . . .

He was in Tarantula too.

JoeZhang April 27 2013 09:41 AM

Re: Actors that have not yet starred in a superhero movie or scifi mo

Quote:

Samurai8472 wrote: (Post 8006422)

Dicaprio was rumored to play Peter Parker before Maguire was cast. Dicaprio might have even tossed the role to Maguire. They're best friends

Jake Gyllenhaal could be a good Green Lantern

Gyllenhaal and Dicaprio has been in at least two sci-fi films each.

Captaindemotion April 27 2013 07:27 PM

Quote:

Admiral_Young wrote: (Post 8008630)
Daniel Day Lewis would be fantastic in "Doctor Strange" as Stephen Strange. Bradley Cooper has long been rumoured as Barry Allen in "The Flash" film. Kevin Smith wanted Jake Gyllenhall for Britt Reid in his abandoned "Green Hornet" script.

Gylenhall was also supposed to have been lined up to replace Toby Maguire for Spider-man 2, when the latter had back problems/ wanted more money. He was also David Goyer's choice to play Bruce Wayne/Batman for Batman Begins, but Christopher Nolan preferred Bale.

And of course, Gylenhall replaced Vinnie Chase for Aquaman 2. ;)

Speaking of Begins, Day-Lewis was supposed to have been offered the role which his Gangs of New York co-star Liam Neeson played in it, but of course, being DDL he turned it down.