The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   General Trek Discussion (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Insects and transporters (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=210475)

Lt. Cheka Wey April 24 2013 01:59 PM

Insects and transporters

Do they make sure that there are no flying insects in the area before they beam somebody down to a planet?

It could be quite unpleasent if a fly would disrupt the process.

Timo April 24 2013 02:24 PM

Re: Insects and transporters

They have to make sure there's no air where they beam people into - having air bubbles inside you when you materialize would be quite deadly!

So, there must exist some way for the transporter beam to push aside whatever matter there is at the destination. If this mechanism can push away air, any flying insects will automatically be removed as well.

If the matter is too much of an obstacle, the transportee will apparently be "rearranged" so that he nicely fits the available space. People standing straight on a transporter platform will materialize with one leg raised if there's a rock under that leg (say, ST2 and Chekov and Terrell's beam-down). Conversely, people lying on uneven ground will materialize lying flat on the level floor of the transporter after beaming up. So, if there's a really big insect at the beam-down spot, Kirk will materialize with his arm around its shoulders, not inside them!

Timo Saloniemi

indolover April 24 2013 02:47 PM

I think this is why they literally say pattern lock.

So if Picard beams down to a planet, only his physical parameters will be beamed up and nothing else. If there were some pathogens and/or microorganisms on his body, then I think the transporter system would recognise them and kill them.

_C_ April 24 2013 05:13 PM

One should hope they watch out for bugs!

http://i.imgur.com/nBntPl6.jpg

T J April 24 2013 05:18 PM

"Welcome back ensign... AHHHHHHH! AHHHHHHH! AHHHHHHH! Kill it now!! :rofl:

Greg Cox April 24 2013 05:25 PM

As a kid, I lived in fear of a fly getting into the transporter beam.

"Help me . . .."

T'Girl April 24 2013 06:11 PM

Consider the episode Tuvix.

Tuvok, Neelix, one of Kes's lungs and a small plant all combine into a glop that walked and talked.

:)

horatio83 April 24 2013 07:22 PM

Quote:

Lt. Cheka Wey wrote: (Post 7994584)
Do they make sure that there are no flying insects in the area before they beam somebody down to a planet?

It could be quite unpleasent if a fly would disrupt the process.

Confinement beam. More often than not there is actually an idea behind tech speak.

LoneDragon April 24 2013 09:15 PM

Anyone ever consider that a transporter disentigrates you and creates an identical copy of you at the destination? Technically anyone who has ever used a transporter is dead...replaced by a line of clones...if it wasnt so, then how do you explain Thomas Riker?

foxhot April 24 2013 10:38 PM

If you've read James Blish's SPOCK MUST DIE, the opening chapter covers this exact transporter debate. McCoy's opinion is that he's been ''killed'' multiple times, while Scotty replies that a difference that makes no difference is no difference. But like the Kelvan belt devices, the transporter renders you temporarily nonexistent. If people have souls, which I believe, in both cases they have been stasised.

YellowSubmarine April 24 2013 10:42 PM

Quote:

T J wrote: (Post 7995454)

That's specieist. That insect that you were going to kill, she is my first officer.

Greg Cox April 24 2013 11:15 PM

Quote:

LoneDragon wrote: (Post 7996738)
Anyone ever consider that a transporter disentigrates you and creates an identical copy of you at the destination? Technically anyone who has ever used a transporter is dead...replaced by a line of clones...if it wasnt so, then how do you explain Thomas Riker?

I remember my college buddies and I staying up to 3 AM one night debating this! :)

Melakon April 24 2013 11:39 PM

Quote:

Greg Cox wrote: (Post 7995496)
As a kid, I lived in fear of a fly getting into the transporter beam.

"Help me . . .."

http://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/...pse4e8e688.jpg

T J April 25 2013 01:10 AM

Quote:

YellowSubmarine wrote: (Post 7997230)
Quote:

T J wrote: (Post 7995454)

That's specieist. That insect that you were going to kill, she is my first officer.

Buggy creatures gotta die! Remember, it's the homo sapiens only club. Can you imagine the women screaming throughout the ship? Most of the girls I know freak out worse when they see a spider! And don't go near the galley when it's eating... ewwwww! :ack: :barf::barf::barf:

T'Girl April 25 2013 02:33 AM

Quote:

LoneDragon wrote: (Post 7996738)
Anyone ever consider that a transporter disentigrates you and creates an identical copy of you at the destination?

Given the Federation's (supposed) highly ethical culture, routinely having people step into a device that ends their lives, makes no sense.

Regardless if a perfect copy is subsequently produce, the person who stepped in would be not just dead, but deliberately killed.

Riker and Pulaski didn't even want exact clones made of themselves when they would have continued to live.

:)