The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Fan Fiction (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Writing my first little book (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=210085)

Astroboy April 21 2013 10:27 PM

Writing my first little book
 
Hey so I am writing my first book and I am wondering if you think my concept is cool. So its about a experimental starship that is made to carry many starships inside of it. The idea is that this one ship is capable of transwarp speeds and can carry vessels that are not able to go transwarp to places far away. It is also to be the most heavly armed ship ever built by the federation.

So what do you think?

CeJay April 21 2013 10:52 PM

Re: Writing my first little book
 
I like the idea of a starship transporter. But it would have to make sense within the logic of your story. For example, why could you fit the transporter ship with transwarp but not the smaller ships?

I would stay away from the super-ship concept though. The idea of the best armed starship in the fleet is an old cliche and probably limits your story-telling opportunities. Cargo ships aren't usually heavily armed and it would be much more interesting to follow the story of a ship which may get outgunned instead of one that can easily best any enemy it encounters.

Astroboy April 21 2013 11:01 PM

Re: Writing my first little book
 
Quote:

CeJay wrote: (Post 7980175)
I like the idea of a starship transporter. But it would have to make sense within the logic of your story. For example, why could you fit the transporter ship with transwarp but not the smaller ships?

I would stay away from the super-ship concept though. The idea of the best armed starship in the fleet is an old cliche and probably limits your story-telling opportunities. Cargo ships aren't usually heavily armed and it would be much more interesting to follow the story of a ship which may get outgunned instead of one that can easily best any enemy it encounters.

well thats part of the idea. I can spin off and follow any one of the ships it brings with it for up to 6 or 7 chapters, including a cargo ship. The other part (Your going to hate me) is I am going cross universe and Astroboy will make an appearance in the story at some point

Sandoval April 30 2013 09:57 AM

Re: Writing my first little book
 
Astroboy?

So what's the deal here? You're twelve years old or something?

I'm asking as a courtesy because I don't like berating children (much).

Angry Fanboy May 6 2013 06:32 PM

Angry Fanboy
 
Quote:

Sandoval wrote: (Post 8022835)
Astroboy?

So what's the deal here? You're twelve years old or something?

I'm asking as a courtesy because I don't like berating children (much).

I think I was about sixteen when I started.

Sixteen and sat in my bedroom writing Star Trek fan fiction... :rolleyes:

Admiral2 May 6 2013 07:54 PM

Re: Writing my first little book
 
Quote:

Astroboy wrote: (Post 7980055)
Hey so I am writing my first book and I am wondering if you think my concept is cool. So its about a experimental starship that is made to carry many starships inside of it. The idea is that this one ship is capable of transwarp speeds and can carry vessels that are not able to go transwarp to places far away. It is also to be the most heavly armed ship ever built by the federation.

So what do you think?

I loved it when I thought of it five years ago...

Sandoval May 6 2013 08:59 PM

Re: Writing my first little book
 
Quote:

Admiral2 wrote: (Post 8050552)
I loved it when I thought of it five years ago...

I call bullshit on that.

Transplanting the aircraft-carrier concept into Star Trek? Like that hasn't been thought of a thousand times by a thousand different people.

As if 'a big fast ship carrying smaller ships' is some unique, ground-breaking concept and anyone with a similar idea could only have conceived it by plagiarising something you posted five years ago.

Get real.

Sandoval May 6 2013 09:08 PM

Re: Writing my first little book
 
Quote:

Admiral2 wrote: (Post 8050552)
I loved it when I thought of it five years ago...

And while we're on the subject your concept is nothing but one massive fanboy cliché from beginning to end, what with all the mammoth ships crewed by thousands of 'sentients' fast enough to 'hop' between galaxies in search of the centre of the cosmos, so I wouldn't be quite so eager to lay claim to it if I were you.

Admiral2 May 7 2013 12:08 AM

Re: Writing my first little book
 
Quote:

Sandoval wrote: (Post 8050936)
I call bullshit on that.

Transplanting the aircraft-carrier concept into Star Trek? Like that hasn't been thought of a thousand times by a thousand different people.

As if 'a big fast ship carrying smaller ships' is some unique, ground-breaking concept and anyone with a similar idea could only have conceived it by plagiarising something you posted five years ago.

Get real.

And while we're on the subject your concept is nothing but one massive fanboy cliché from beginning to end, what with all the mammoth ships crewed by thousands of 'sentients' fast enough to 'hop' between galaxies in search of the centre of the cosmos, so I wouldn't be quite so eager to lay claim to it if I were you.


Did I piss on your fish or something in a past life there, Sandy? First you jump down Astroboy's throat for nothing more than his choice of user name, then you jump down my throat in his defense.

One might suspect your were some kind of troll.

You wouldn't be one of those, wouldja?

Count Zero May 7 2013 12:29 AM

Re: Writing my first little book
 
Please don't accuse other posters of trolling, Admiral2. If you find a post objectionable hit the notify Mod button on it instead.
Sandoval, please try to be a bit less provocative in your wording when you offer critique to writers here. People usually invest plenty of time and passion into their writing without anything material in return and while a lot of fan fiction (overall, generally speaking) isn't very good it would be wise to keep that in mind when giving feedback.

Let's get back on topic.

Angry Fanboy May 7 2013 08:54 AM

Angry Fanboy
 
It does seem a little deluded to imagine that a person posting a 'starship carrier' concept could only have stolen it from a story outline posted in another forum five years ago. :lol:

I've seen it multiple times in different Star Trek fan fictions, it's hardly unique.

Count Zero May 7 2013 01:27 PM

Re: Writing my first little book
 
Then again, Admiral2 didn't accuse anyone of having stolen it. He just posted a link to a similar idea he had a while ago. He'd have to clarify what he meant by it.

Sandoval May 8 2013 04:32 PM

Re: Writing my first little book
 
Quote:

Count Zero wrote: (Post 8053663)
Then again, Admiral2 didn't accuse anyone of having stolen it. He just posted a link to a similar idea he had a while ago.

He didn't say "here's my link to a SIMILAR idea", he said "when I thought of it."

The intent was as clear as day to anyone with eyes, however much you may wish to deny it.

I simply called him on it, and subsequently called him on his staggeringly fanboyish concept.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:26 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.