The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Lost as an one-season miniseries (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=210022)

Joe Washington April 21 2013 02:29 AM

Lost as an one-season miniseries
 
If Lost was reduced to one season instead of six, which elements of the show would you keep and which would you cut out for the sake of brevity?

Mr Light April 21 2013 02:47 AM

Re: Lost as an one-season miniseries
 
I can't even imagine it in a single season. Four or five years, maybe.

Obviously the first thing to do is drastically cut down the supporting cast. No Boone and Shannon, no Jin and Sun, no Charlie and Claire, no Hurley, no Desmond...

Emh April 21 2013 03:27 AM

Re: Lost as an one-season miniseries
 
Eliminating Boone and Shannon, Fine. Jin and Sun? I can see an argument for that (but I wouldn't like it). But no Charlie, Claire, Hurley, and Desmond? That's ridiculous. They're all core characters.

That being said, I can't see the show being one season anyways. Sure, there's a lot of filler and side adventures that can be cut down, but a lot of the substance of the show would be lost (no pun intended), particularly the flashbacks.

Dream April 21 2013 04:23 AM

Re: Lost as an one-season miniseries
 
One of the best things about LOST was its huge cast. It would be much less interesting series to me if Ben, Desmond, Juliet, Richard never existed.

The series wouldn't have the time to breathe and develop much of a mythology.

DonIago April 21 2013 04:34 AM

Re: Lost as an one-season miniseries
 
Not to mention how much the characterization would likely suffer.

Morpheus 02 April 21 2013 04:38 AM

Re: Lost as an one-season miniseries
 
I wouldn't want to shrink it...but rather expand on the Dharma thing...maybe as video game? With all this multimedia interactivity..it could make that aspect of the LOST universe really interesting..

Gaith April 21 2013 05:03 AM

Re: Lost as an one-season miniseries
 
If Lost was reduced to one season instead of six..

I might actually watch it.

M'rk, son of Mogh April 21 2013 06:08 AM

Re: Lost as an one-season miniseries
 
Quote:

Gaith wrote: (Post 7977232)
If Lost was reduced to one season instead of six..

I might actually watch it.

ZING!

Take THAT, television show!

Venardhi April 21 2013 09:29 AM

Re: Lost as an one-season miniseries
 
The problem with LOST wasn't that it went on too long, but that the story we are introduced to at the beginning of the show is not the actual story. Every season or so they would have some big reveal that basically said "everything up until now was bullshit, HERE is the real story." When all was said and done, the final reveal was that, yet again, it was all bullshit.

Relayer1 April 21 2013 11:31 AM

Re: Lost as an one-season miniseries
 
Quote:

Venardhi wrote: (Post 7977652)
The problem with LOST wasn't that it went on too long, but that the story we are introduced to at the beginning of the show is not the actual story. Every season or so they would have some big reveal that basically said "everything up until now was bullshit, HERE is the real story." When all was said and done, the final reveal was that, yet again, it was all bullshit.

No matter how good the character pieces were, no matter how interesting the flashbacks were, no matter how well any of it was done, the promised resolution was never going to be good enough. From about half way through I thought the end would be pants (I couldn't think of any way they could pull it off) and yes, it was pants.

The ride was great, but the destination was never going to live up to it. Shortening it would have reduced the amount of time I wasted on it, but not improved it...

Mr Light April 21 2013 12:42 PM

Re: Lost as an one-season miniseries
 
Obviously they wouldn't have time to do the whole "they left the Island... then years later they came back" or "some of them lived in the 1970s for three years" :lol:

Ancient Mariner April 21 2013 04:10 PM

Re: Lost as an one-season miniseries
 
Except for its needlessly labyrinthine plot and excessive characters, Lost was a flawless television masterpiece.

jayceee April 21 2013 04:17 PM

Re: Lost as an one-season miniseries
 
Would a LOST miniseries resemble a modern take of "Mysterious Island" tv series from the mid-1990's or older movies?

theenglish April 21 2013 04:26 PM

Re: Lost as an one-season miniseries
 
Quote:

Relayer1 wrote: (Post 7977787)
Quote:

Venardhi wrote: (Post 7977652)
The problem with LOST wasn't that it went on too long, but that the story we are introduced to at the beginning of the show is not the actual story. Every season or so they would have some big reveal that basically said "everything up until now was bullshit, HERE is the real story." When all was said and done, the final reveal was that, yet again, it was all bullshit.

No matter how good the character pieces were, no matter how interesting the flashbacks were, no matter how well any of it was done, the promised resolution was never going to be good enough. From about half way through I thought the end would be pants (I couldn't think of any way they could pull it off) and yes, it was pants.

The ride was great, but the destination was never going to live up to it. Shortening it would have reduced the amount of time I wasted on it, but not improved it...

I agree with this. I wasn't really disappointed in the ending because I never built up unrealistic expectations about it. What many people fail to catch is that the ONLY "purgatory" scenes are the flashbacks in the final season. Cut those out and the rest of the story actually happened in the context of the plot. I really liked the resolution and sense of closure for most of the characters, especially Ben and Hurley.

I do think the original poster is somewhat on the right track though. In the interest of milking the cash cow, the show went on way too long. Four full seasons would have been more than enough to tell the story well and completely.

RoJoHen April 22 2013 05:51 PM

Re: Lost as an one-season miniseries
 
Quote:

Mr Light wrote: (Post 7977904)
Obviously they wouldn't have time to do the whole "they left the Island... then years later they came back" or "some of them lived in the 1970s for three years" :lol:

And we wouldn't have gotten bearded alcoholic Jack.

"WE HAVE TO GO BACK, KATE!"


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.