The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   U.S. air show cancels plans to reenact atomic bombing of Japan (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=209977)

brian577 April 20 2013 09:56 AM

U.S. air show cancels plans to reenact atomic bombing of Japan

Who thought this was a good idea?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3107944.html

Haggis and tatties April 20 2013 02:02 PM

Re: U.S. air show cancels plans to reenact atomic bombing of Japan

At least somebody realised and cancelled it before they staged such a insensitve show.

But yeah, who would have thought this was a good idea.

R. Star April 20 2013 02:12 PM

Reading that topic I thought this had to be a joke. At least yeah... they were called on it and backed down before they did it.

What's next, re-enacting the Trail of Tears on Andrew Jackson's birthday?

Tora Ziyal April 20 2013 02:36 PM

Wow, I assumed it was a joke, too! I wish I'd been right.

Gov Kodos April 20 2013 03:15 PM

Quote:

Haggis and tatties wrote: (Post 7973743)
At least somebody realised and cancelled it before they staged such a insensitve show.

But yeah, who would have thought this was a good idea.

The same kind of idiots as those in Japan who visit Yasakuni Shrine to honor the war dead, like Tojo buried there, every year. It was a stupid idea, but no worse than the Japanese trying to paint themselves as victims of that war. MacArthur and the subsequent occupation command allowed the Japanese to soft-peddle their history in that war in a way that was never allowed to Germany.

bigdaddy April 20 2013 03:59 PM

It's not as stupid of an idea as it sounds, and it is part of our history. I don't think they should do it, but people need to understand that the Japanese were pure evil. It's not like "Americans are bad, Japanese didn't deserve it", they deserved it, we saved millions of lives from not having to invade and killing everything that moves on Japan's main island.

OdoWanKenobi April 20 2013 03:59 PM

I came in here expecting to see that someone had taken an Onion article seriously. Sometimes the truth is stupider than fiction.

J.T.B. April 20 2013 04:41 PM

Quote:

bigdaddy wrote: (Post 7974085)
It's not as stupid of an idea as it sounds, and it is part of our history. I don't think they should do it, but people need to understand that the Japanese were pure evil. It's not like "Americans are bad, Japanese didn't deserve it", they deserved it, we saved millions of lives from not having to invade and killing everything that moves on Japan's main island.

No nation of millions is "pure evil." That's the kind of absolutist rhetoric we were fighting against. I'm on record here as supporting the a-bombings, but it is not something to celebrate.

Tora Ziyal April 20 2013 04:44 PM

Quote:

J.T.B. wrote: (Post 7974229)
No nation of millions is "pure evil." That's the kind of absolutist rhetoric we were fighting against.

Amen! And I love your avatar.

J.T.B. April 20 2013 05:03 PM

Quote:

Tora Ziyal wrote: (Post 7974241)
Quote:

J.T.B. wrote: (Post 7974229)
No nation of millions is "pure evil." That's the kind of absolutist rhetoric we were fighting against.

Amen! And I love your avatar.

Well thanks, it's not much but I can't express enough my respect for the men and women who put themselves at risk securing that situation.

ThunderAeroI April 20 2013 05:07 PM

Many airshows are cancelling all across the country. Fargo, ND recently cancelled theirs, a few in WI recently cancelled and I'd say it will get worse. Funding an airshow is risky and without good headliners it can be impossible to make a profit.

sojourner April 20 2013 05:39 PM

^missing the point.

Kelthaz April 20 2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

bigdaddy wrote: (Post 7974085)

Wow.

M'Sharak April 20 2013 06:15 PM

Quote:

ThunderAeroI wrote: (Post 7974331)
Many airshows are cancelling all across the country. Fargo, ND recently cancelled theirs, a few in WI recently cancelled and I'd say it will get worse. Funding an airshow is risky and without good headliners it can be impossible to make a profit.

The article states that the show has not been cancelled. In fact, neither has the "Great Wall of Fire" pyrotechnic display, but the B-29's place in the show will now be entirely separate in the schedule of events.

Avon April 20 2013 07:39 PM

was everyone going to sing along to 'enola gay' by OMD?