The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Fan Productions (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Are there any TNG-era or later fan-films that use physical sets? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=209968)

DCR April 20 2013 05:04 AM

Are there any TNG-era or later fan-films that use physical sets?
 
One thing I've noticed is that while there are a lot of TOS-era films in various levels of production that are going so far as to build full-scale bridge (and other) sets, most of the TNG-era films such as Hidden Frontier seem to rely on green-screens rather than physical sets.

I was just wondering if anyone knows of a group doing later-era stuff with physical sets or if it's all green-screen work?

captainkirk April 20 2013 08:12 AM

Re: Are there any TNG-era or later fan-films that use physical sets?
 
Intrepid (24th century) uses physical sets for smaller locations and greenscreen for bigger rooms like the bridge.
Phoenix (25th century) Has only made one episode so far and hasn't featured the bridge yet but they also seem to be going for a mixture.
Those are the only ones I can think of right now.

King Daniel Into Darkness April 20 2013 12:26 PM

Re: Are there any TNG-era or later fan-films that use physical sets?
 
Star Trek: Renegades will use a combination of sets and greenscreen. IIRC, the hero ship bridge will be redress of Gary Mitchell's ubership from Of Gods and Men.

scifib5st April 20 2013 04:24 PM

Re: Are there any TNG-era or later fan-films that use physical sets?
 
Starship Phoenix .made an episode a year or two ago. They used both standing sets and some green screen work. You can view it on line.

Melakon April 20 2013 07:51 PM

Re: Are there any TNG-era or later fan-films that use physical sets?
 
I can see where recreating a TNG or VOY bridge could be beyond the resources of a fan film. But what about a smaller bridge, like Sisko's Defiant? Would that be more economical as a full scale set? It could likely serve for a variety of less famous ship classes.

Barbreader April 20 2013 08:05 PM

Re: Are there any TNG-era or later fan-films that use physical sets?
 
I believe that a student project in the UK that was never finished... Star Trek Hyperion, listed as under (BS) here: http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/2009/06/210.html (the letter 'numbering' system is not a commentary, it's just a 26 digit numbering system, A is 1, Z is 26, AA is 27, AZ is 52, BA is 53, and BS is 71. Projects numbered after BA, or 53, are on long term hold or abandon. Projects listed as AA to AZ, or 27 to 52, are on short term hold or proceeding very slowly. Projects listed A to Z or 1 through 9, (the 1 through 9 was added due to the large number of current projects) are projects which are under active development which have not been under development for such a long time that I have moved them down to AA to AZ.)

USS Intrepid April 20 2013 08:27 PM

Re: Are there any TNG-era or later fan-films that use physical sets?
 
Hyperion's sets were trashed after filming, as far as I know.

Tom April 21 2013 02:32 AM

Re: Are there any TNG-era or later fan-films that use physical sets?
 
Quote:

King Daniel wrote: (Post 7973557)
Star Trek: Renegades will use a combination of sets and greenscreen. IIRC, the hero ship bridge will be redress of Gary Mitchell's ubership from Of Gods and Men.

We plan to build a new set for the bridge.

King Daniel Into Darkness April 21 2013 03:23 PM

Re: Are there any TNG-era or later fan-films that use physical sets?
 
Cool. Can't wait to see it! :techman:

oswater April 22 2013 03:07 AM

Re: Are there any TNG-era or later fan-films that use physical sets?
 
Quote:

DCR wrote: (Post 7972894)
One thing I've noticed is that while there are a lot of TOS-era films in various levels of production that are going so far as to build full-scale bridge (and other) sets, most of the TNG-era films such as Hidden Frontier seem to rely on green-screens rather than physical sets.

I was just wondering if anyone knows of a group doing later-era stuff with physical sets or if it's all green-screen work?

We made more of a strange TNG era parody than a strict fan film(thread located: http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=202534 ) with a bridge set.
Video link here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jydQRvd8QVs
Word of warning, many people found it offensive though.

DCR April 22 2013 03:59 AM

Re: Are there any TNG-era or later fan-films that use physical sets?
 
Quote:

oswater wrote: (Post 7981048)
We made more of a strange TNG era parody than a strict fan film(thread located: http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=202534 ) with a bridge set.
Video link here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jydQRvd8QVs
Word of warning, many people found it offensive though.

I'm sorry, but while I'll give you points for the physical set, that's not exactly what I was looking for. I was more wondering if anyone was using an accurate or near-accurate physical representation of any TNG-era bridge sets, and that set was very clearly a parody and not intended to be in any way accurate.

Maurice April 22 2013 10:37 AM

Re: Are there any TNG-era or later fan-films that use physical sets?
 
Quote:

DCR wrote: (Post 7981393)
I was more wondering if anyone was using an accurate or near-accurate physical representation of any TNG-era bridge sets...

That's not what you said at the top of the thread, though.

USS Intrepid April 22 2013 10:48 AM

Re: Are there any TNG-era or later fan-films that use physical sets?
 
So far I think the people who would like to build such sets, simply don't have the resources.

Picard Alpha April 22 2013 03:23 PM

Re: Are there any TNG-era or later fan-films that use physical sets?
 
I can't imagine the cost to built a set like this, thousands... http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=132451

That's why we always used chroma!

DCR April 22 2013 10:18 PM

Re: Are there any TNG-era or later fan-films that use physical sets?
 
Quote:

Maurice wrote: (Post 7982470)
Quote:

DCR wrote: (Post 7981393)
I was more wondering if anyone was using an accurate or near-accurate physical representation of any TNG-era bridge sets...

That's not what you said at the top of the thread, though.

Fair enough, though I'd like to think I implied it; especially with the reference to full-scale bridge sets. Worst case, it provided an opportunity for clarification on my part.

Quote:

USS Intrepid wrote: (Post 7982491)
So far I think the people who would like to build such sets, simply don't have the resources.

That sounds logical, I wouldn't be surprised if the demographic most interested in later eras lack the resources of some of the TOS era fans, and that the sets themselves would be even more expensive.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.