The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Deep Space Nine (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Would you trade Kira for Ro Laren? Or maybe put them both on DS9? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=209632)

lordbaltimore1 April 16 2013 08:41 PM

Would you trade Kira for Ro Laren? Or maybe put them both on DS9?

I must say, although I loved Nana Visitor as Kira in DS9, Michelle Forbes' performance as Ro Laren in TNG is utterly epic. Would DS9 have been a better show with her instead of Visitor?

Alternatively, do you think DS9 could have been improved by bringing in Ro Laren once or twice a season as a guest? I for one would have really enjoyed seeing Kira and Ro sharing screen time, and something tells me they would have had quite the rivalry. Perhaps Ro could have fallen under the influence of Kai Winn and become a "fundamentalist" or even turned to the Pah-Wraiths. She certainly would have been a darker character than Kira...

BillJ April 16 2013 09:30 PM

Re: Would you trade Kira for Ro Laren? Or maybe put them both on DS9?

I would've shot Visitor out of a cannon and into obscurity if it meant we would have gotten Forbes to play Ro Laren.

TheRoyalFamily April 16 2013 09:59 PM

Quote:

lordbaltimore1 wrote: (Post 7953940)
I must say, although I loved Nana Visitor as Kira in DS9, Michelle Forbes' performance as Ro Laren in TNG is utterly epic. Would DS9 have been a better show with her instead of Visitor?

No. We gained a lot by having a completely new character that wasn't Starfleet at all. Ro couldn't have had near the impact as Kira.

Quote:

Alternatively, do you think DS9 could have been improved by bringing in Ro Laren once or twice a season as a guest? I for one would have really enjoyed seeing Kira and Ro sharing screen time, and something tells me they would have had quite the rivalry. Perhaps Ro could have fallen under the influence of Kai Winn and become a "fundamentalist" or even turned to the Pah-Wraiths. She certainly would have been a darker character than Kira...
This, however, would have been pretty cool.

R. Star April 16 2013 10:06 PM

Yeah, I gotta agree with Kira being the better move than Ro as the DS9 first officer. Though it would've definitely been nice to have Ro show up during some of the Maquis episodes with Tom Riker or Eddington. Or even leading her own cell.

Tosk April 17 2013 05:03 AM

I'm happy with the way we got it. I wouldn't have been opposed to Ro guesting in an ep or two, but I'm glad we got Nerys.

Melakon April 17 2013 05:27 AM

If Ro was also in Starfleet, she couldn't have treated Sisko like Kira did. There would have been less conflict.

Third Nacelle April 17 2013 07:27 AM

I think maybe having Ro still in the Maquis but being and old friend of Kira's would have been cool. Sort of like Sisko & Cal Hudson.

But having her as a regular on the show replacing Kira would have been weird. We'd have an all-Starfleet (except Odo) senior staff on a Bajoran station!

scotcat April 17 2013 10:28 AM

While it would have been nice to have Ro in some of the Maquis centric episodes, I'm glad they went with a new character.

It was the right decision to go with a character that wasn't starfleet - it would have looked very odd if, on a Bajoran space station, there were no Bajorans in the command staff (unless you count Odo).

BillJ April 17 2013 01:00 PM

Quote:

scotcat wrote: (Post 7957186)
While it would have been nice to have Ro in some of the Maquis centric episodes, I'm glad they went with a new character.

It was the right decision to go with a character that wasn't starfleet - it would have looked very odd if, on a Bajoran space station, there were no Bajorans in the command staff (unless you count Odo).

Funny, I thought Ro was Bajoran? :p

R. Star April 17 2013 01:06 PM

I'm sure if Ro was casted for DS9, she'd have resigned from Starfleet and put on the Bajoran uniform the moment her people won their independence.

lordbaltimore1 April 17 2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

R. Star wrote: (Post 7957531)
I'm sure if Ro was casted for DS9, she'd have resigned from Starfleet and put on the Bajoran uniform the moment her people won their independence.

Totally agreed on that point. In fact, I would think the Federation would have insisted upon it to avoid a conflict of interest. Nevertheless, the writers could have used her ex-Starfleet status to play up the conflict with Kai Winn.

Ironically, I got the sense that Kira was less hostile to Starfleet than Ro was, even though she was a part of it. Ro had a pretty dark, bitter streak to her character, and she didn't seem to get along very well with most of the others in the Federation. They tried to do that with Kira but I never completely bought it.

Infern0 April 17 2013 02:07 PM

Yes.

Forbes is an immense actress and Visitor has an annoying voice.

Also in the DS9 relaunch, Ro is Bajoran millitia, although the timing is off it would have been possible to make it work.

dub April 17 2013 02:51 PM

Loved, loved, loved Kira. I'm glad everything worked out the way it did.

Quote:

lordbaltimore1 wrote: (Post 7953940)
Alternatively, do you think DS9 could have been improved by bringing in Ro Laren once or twice a season as a guest?

You know, I'm really surprised they never did this. Lord knows they brought in every other TNG character imaginable.

BruntFCA April 17 2013 06:14 PM

I never liked Ro so I'm glad we got Kira who was great.

The Mirrorball Man April 17 2013 06:27 PM

I would have loved it if Forbes had accepted to play the character for the first season. I think Avery Brooks and her would have been sensational together. Then she leaves or die at the end of season 1, and is replaced by another Bajoran officer who's even more intense than Ro, Major Kira.