The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Fan Art (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   April Art Challenge - Flux Capacitor (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=209629)

Flux Capacitor April 16 2013 08:39 PM

April Art Challenge - Flux Capacitor
 
It has been a long, long time since I've done any Trek art, but I was intrigued by the theme this month. Since I don't have much in the way of 3D modeling or scene creation experience, I utilized some high quality Bridge Commander models and some composting work. I tried to give a look at a famous scene from a perspective we never saw. I was going for kind of a painted/faded film look.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...psf41d9dff.jpg

Kaiser April 17 2013 12:15 AM

Re: April Art Challenge - Flux Capacitor
 
Epic :)

Finn April 17 2013 12:54 AM

Re: April Art Challenge - Flux Capacitor
 
I'm not really getting the theme here (Yes, I can see why you did this)

Flux Capacitor April 17 2013 01:02 AM

Re: April Art Challenge - Flux Capacitor
 
Enterprise (beauty) vs. Reliant (the beast)

Finn April 17 2013 01:07 AM

Re: April Art Challenge - Flux Capacitor
 
Quote:

Flux Capacitor wrote: (Post 7955236)
Enterprise (beauty) vs. Reliant (the beast)

Quote:

Finn wrote: (Post 7955200)
I'm not really getting the theme here (Yes, I can see why you did this)

I don't think the Miranda Class is ugly or beastly.

I don't see any "Beauty and the Beast" imagery in yours. It's a nice picture...really.

Flux Capacitor April 17 2013 01:11 AM

Re: April Art Challenge - Flux Capacitor
 
Not so much in looks as in who was commanding her at the time.

Finn April 17 2013 01:14 AM

Re: April Art Challenge - Flux Capacitor
 
The beast wasn't a baddie soo ;)

Flux Capacitor April 17 2013 01:19 AM

Re: April Art Challenge - Flux Capacitor
 
Well, I'm open to suggestions. What imagery says "beauty and the beast" to you?

Finn April 17 2013 01:38 AM

Re: April Art Challenge - Flux Capacitor
 
Just enter it if you want. Don't change based on the opinion of one poster you don't actually know. Others might like it just fine (aside from Kaiser who thinks all art is epic or awesome).

largo April 17 2013 05:28 PM

Re: April Art Challenge - Flux Capacitor
 
reliant, with a distinctly redder cast of light, impulse and other red lighting visible, firing bright orange blasts from its phasers... clearly the beast, i think.

Admiral2 April 17 2013 05:42 PM

Re: April Art Challenge - Flux Capacitor
 
I'm with Finn on this one. It's just one Federation ship firing on another, and there's no context at all without knowing the history behind the image. Subtle lighting does not a beast make.

Albertese April 18 2013 07:19 AM

Re: April Art Challenge - Flux Capacitor
 
Quote:

Admiral2 wrote: (Post 7958455)
I'm with Finn on this one. It's just one Federation ship firing on another, and there's no context at all without knowing the history behind the image. Subtle lighting does not a beast make.

Hold on! are there any Star Trek fans on this board who don't get the context here?

This is like stumbling into a catholic church and seeing a sculpture of some lanky sad looking dude on a cross and asking for the context.

Really? We get it.

--Alex

Flux Capacitor April 18 2013 07:33 AM

Re: April Art Challenge - Flux Capacitor
 
Quote:

largo wrote: (Post 7958398)
reliant, with a distinctly redder cast of light, impulse and other red lighting visible, firing bright orange blasts from its phasers... clearly the beast, i think.

Exactly. The red lighting was inspired by the SFX guys in TWOk itself who gave the Reliant model some red lights in certain places to make it seem more "evil" to the viewer.

Quote:

Albertese wrote: (Post 7962421)
Quote:

Admiral2 wrote: (Post 7958455)
I'm with Finn on this one. It's just one Federation ship firing on another, and there's no context at all without knowing the history behind the image. Subtle lighting does not a beast make.

Hold on! are there any Star Trek fans on this board who don't get the context here?

This is like stumbling into a catholic church and seeing a sculpture of some lanky sad looking dude on a cross and asking for the context.

Really? We get it.

--Alex

Thank you. I was under the impression that I didn't need to spell out the context when it relates to one of the most storied films in the franchise this entire site is about. I would imagine that with the lighting and the fact that one ship is clearly attacking the other, even an uninitiated viewer could tell who the aggressor is.

CorporalCaptain April 18 2013 08:13 AM

Re: April Art Challenge - Flux Capacitor
 
I like it; the intention was obvious at first glance.

Finn April 18 2013 01:47 PM

Re: April Art Challenge - Flux Capacitor
 
Quote:

Albertese wrote: (Post 7962421)
Quote:

Admiral2 wrote: (Post 7958455)
I'm with Finn on this one. It's just one Federation ship firing on another, and there's no context at all without knowing the history behind the image. Subtle lighting does not a beast make.

Hold on! are there any Star Trek fans on this board who don't get the context here?

This is like stumbling into a catholic church and seeing a sculpture of some lanky sad looking dude on a cross and asking for the context.

Really? We get it.

--Alex

Bad analogy. I knew what Flux had in mind. I just didn't think the image was a good fit for the theme.

I'd go for an image that even a casual fan would get. The other entry would be understood even by some of those who don't follow Trek. I'm gonna bet many casual viewers who have seen several movies and watched some episodes once in a while won't get Flux's entry.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.