The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Reports of explosions at 2013 Boston Marathon (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=209500)

JoeZhang April 15 2013 08:10 PM

Reports of explosions at 2013 Boston Marathon

Not really clear what is happening at the moment, via twitter, sources like the Boston Global are reporting multiple explosions at the finish line:

Quote:

Reuters is reporting that the headquarters at the Boston Marathon have been locked down after an explosion was reported near the finish line Monday afternoon. Here's a Twitter image of the current scene there
http://www.theatlanticwire.com/natio...ns-live/64246/

Yuletide Caroler April 15 2013 08:15 PM

Re: Reports of explosions at 2013 Boston Marathon

Just came across my feed, too. Hopes and thoughts to all.

cultcross April 15 2013 08:20 PM

Just seen this on BBC page - here's hoping the injuries are minimal :s

gturner April 15 2013 08:21 PM

They can't lock down the finish line. It'll screw up everybody's times.

Yuletide Caroler April 15 2013 08:25 PM

Quote:

gturner wrote: (Post 7948261)

If this was an attempt at humor, it's in very poor taste. If it was sincere, then I strongly disagree with its priorities.

jmc247 April 15 2013 08:27 PM

The pictures I am looking at of the scene are pretty ugly.

Quote:

Two huge blasts rock Boston Marathon finish line

Two huge explosions rocked the Boston Marathon finish line at Copley Square just before 3 p.m. today, apparently causing numerous casualties.

“I saw two explosions. The first one was beyond the finish line. I heard a loud bang and I saw smoke rising,” said Herald reporter Chris Cassidy, who was running in the marathon.“I kept running and I heard behind me a loud bang. It looked like it was in a trash can or something. That one was in front of Abe and Louie’s. There are people who have been hit with debris, people with bloody foreheads.”

“There are at least a dozen that seem to be injured in some way,” Cassidy said.

http://bostonherald.com/news_opinion...on_finish_line

Pete Schweddy April 15 2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

Too soon.

gturner April 15 2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

Samuel Walters wrote: (Post 7948291)
Quote:

If this was an attempt at humor, it's in very poor taste. If it was sincere, then I strongly disagree with its priorities.

No, seriously. Tens of thousands of people train all year to get ready and the finish line is where they mark their times. Hopefully someone quickly measured off an equivalent distance to another stopping point on some other block.

It's Boston. If a bunch of people got injured in a car wreck along the route, most of the people in the race would just jog on past while authorities handled it.

Pete Schweddy April 15 2013 08:37 PM

The race is cancelled, per the Boston Police. When potentially dozens of people have been injured, at least 3 reported fatalities, and images showing victims with limbs blown off, there are more important priorities.

So what if they trained for years. The finish line was targeted with bombs. The prudent thing to do is to assume there are more somewhere else and cancel the race and deal with the injured and dying.

Yuletide Caroler April 15 2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

gturner wrote: (Post 7948363)
Quote:

Quote:

No, seriously. Tens of thousands of people train all year to get ready and the finish line is where they mark their times. Hopefully someone quickly measured off an equivalent distance to another stopping point on some other block.

It's Boston. If a bunch of people got injured in a car wreck along the route, most of the people in the race would just jog on past while authorities handled it.

Graphic content:

http://deadspin.com/explosions-repor...thon-473008941

gturner April 15 2013 08:41 PM

Ooo... The potential for more bombs would definitely require immediate cancellation. I hadn't thought of that. That's a long, long route that has to be cleared and searched, too.

Tom Servo April 15 2013 08:46 PM

Quote:

gturner wrote: (Post 7948363)
Quote:

Quote:

As not a native Bostonian, but as a person born and raised in MA, and who had to text their friends at the marathon to make sure they're okay, kindly just shut the fuck up. You're not helping yourself at this point.

bigdaddy April 15 2013 08:47 PM

I live 80 miles to the west and just heard the news.

Cookies and Cake April 15 2013 08:54 PM

Horrible.

Jinglekitty April 15 2013 08:57 PM

I can hear sirens. We're watching the footage from a TV in the waiting room. Prayers for the injured.