The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Doctor Who (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Do we want to know the Doctor's secret? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=208939)

Candlelight April 11 2013 08:20 AM

Do we want to know the Doctor's secret?
 
http://m.nzherald.co.nz/entertainmen...ectid=10876436

His character is partly built on mystery. Do we really want the entire backstory told to us? Do we want to know his name?

Moffat's writing usually divides fandom so I'm a little worried what kind of history we have in store.

Starkers April 11 2013 08:38 AM

Re: Do we want to know the Doctor's secret?
 
The Doctor's biggest secret...

When he was 14 he was caught shoplifting in the Aldi on Gallifrey...

Captain_Amasov April 11 2013 01:30 PM

Re: Do we want to know the Doctor's secret?
 
It's clearly the recipe to unlimited rice pudding.

Starkers April 11 2013 01:38 PM

Re: Do we want to know the Doctor's secret?
 
My God...if the Daleks got a hold of that...

Mr Awe April 11 2013 02:47 PM

Re: Do we want to know the Doctor's secret?
 
Quote:

Candlelight wrote: (Post 7928662)
http://m.nzherald.co.nz/entertainmen...ectid=10876436

His character is partly built on mystery. Do we really want the entire backstory told to us? Do we want to know his name?

Moffat's writing usually divides fandom so I'm a little worried what kind of history we have in store.

Revealing the secret does NOT translate to "entire backstory." You can reveal a secret but not the entire backstory.

It is interesting to reveal bits of the Doctor's history at a time. There was a point we didn't even know what planet he was from and his species! Those are well accepted now but don't diminish the character.

I think it's good to reveal aspects of the character over time. I'm not a fan of mysteries that are never solved. But, it wouldn't be good, and I don't expect Moffat to do this, to reveal everything.

In other words, it's not something to worry about.

Mr Awe

RoJoHen April 11 2013 05:29 PM

Re: Do we want to know the Doctor's secret?
 
Yes. I want to know his big secret. I want to know mostly because I'm curious to see what Moffat thinks The Doctor's big secret is. This is one of those things that could be really, really awesome or really, really terrible, and I can't wait to find out.

Aldo April 11 2013 05:30 PM

Re: Do we want to know the Doctor's secret?
 
The big secret is that his name really is John Smith.

Admiral2 April 11 2013 05:37 PM

Re: Do we want to know the Doctor's secret?
 
Quote:

Candlelight wrote: (Post 7928662)
http://m.nzherald.co.nz/entertainmen...ectid=10876436

His character is partly built on mystery. Do we really want the entire backstory told to us? Do we want to know his name?

Moffat's writing usually divides fandom so I'm a little worried what kind of history we have in store.

Personally, I don't care what his secret is, and I miss the old days when I could watch Doctor Who and not care. nowadays it's like every fifth episode is like "OOOH, he's got a secret! OOOH It's a huge secret! OOOOOOH IT'S A TERRIBLE SECRET THAT WOULD SHATTER UNIVERSES!!!!!"

I don't care. Someone else can find out the huge secret...

The Mirrorball Man April 11 2013 06:00 PM

Re: Do we want to know the Doctor's secret?
 
Quote:

Admiral2 wrote: (Post 7930174)
Personally, I don't care what his secret is, and I miss the old days when I could watch Doctor Who and not care.

But you don't care, so what is there to miss?

Admiral2 April 11 2013 06:12 PM

Re: Do we want to know the Doctor's secret?
 
Quote:

The Mirrorball Man wrote: (Post 7930309)
Quote:

Admiral2 wrote: (Post 7930174)
Personally, I don't care what his secret is, and I miss the old days when I could watch Doctor Who and not care.

But you don't care, so what is there to miss?

A series where the dialogue doesn't run the phrase "Doctor? Doctor Who?" into the frigging ground.

He's the Doctor, period. I'm perfectly satisfied not knowing Doctor Who?, not wondering Doctor Who?, not caring Doctor Who? past that it's the title of the show. The current writers want to turn the "who" part into some kind of series-spanning uber-mystery that would make us run screaming and wet ourselves if it were ever revealed.

I'm already not crazy about Matt Smith. I don't need the annoyance compounded by trying to turn DW into "Lost."

The Mirrorball Man April 11 2013 06:14 PM

Re: Do we want to know the Doctor's secret?
 
Quote:

Admiral2 wrote: (Post 7930363)
The current writers want to turn the "who" part into some kind of series-spanning uber-mystery that would make us run screaming and wet ourselves if it were ever revealed.

It's the 50th anniversary, I think it's an appropriate idea. :shrug:

Sindatur April 11 2013 06:42 PM

Re: Do we want to know the Doctor's secret?
 
Quote:

Admiral2 wrote: (Post 7930363)
Quote:

The Mirrorball Man wrote: (Post 7930309)
Quote:

Admiral2 wrote: (Post 7930174)
Personally, I don't care what his secret is, and I miss the old days when I could watch Doctor Who and not care.

But you don't care, so what is there to miss?

A series where the dialogue doesn't run the phrase "Doctor? Doctor Who?" into the frigging ground.

He's the Doctor, period. I'm perfectly satisfied not knowing Doctor Who?, not wondering Doctor Who?, not caring Doctor Who? past that it's the title of the show. The current writers want to turn the "who" part into some kind of series-spanning uber-mystery that would make us run screaming and wet ourselves if it were ever revealed.

I'm already not crazy about Matt Smith. I don't need the annoyance compounded by trying to turn DW into "Lost."

You sound like you believe this is some new development brought in by Moffat? Did you not see the Sylvester McCoy Cartmel era, which itself, merely ran with the seeds sprinkled throughout the history of the show

lennier1 April 11 2013 07:13 PM

Re: Do we want to know the Doctor's secret?
 
Quote:

Aldo wrote: (Post 7930135)
The big secret is that his name really is John Smith.

More like the Gallifreyan version of that name. That means, he was telling us his real name all along. The Tardis simply translated it for us.

Green Lantern April 11 2013 08:00 PM

Re: Do we want to know the Doctor's secret?
 
NO!

Not until he dies at least.

Maybe we should learn a little about him in the 50th as it is the 50th anniversary of doctor who, but I don't want to know his name until he dies, maybe not then even. No, there are some secrets that must be kept. Otherwise all the wonder of doctor who will be gone.

RoJoHen April 11 2013 08:32 PM

Re: Do we want to know the Doctor's secret?
 
I very much doubt we'll learn his name. The question "Doctor who?" is likely more about the type of person he is or something he did in the past, something to do with the very nature of his character. At this point, giving him a name would just be odd.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:25 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.