The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Ringworld and Childhood's End mini-series coming to Syfy (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=208882)

RAMA April 10 2013 11:58 PM

Ringworld and Childhood's End mini-series coming to Syfy

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/04/10/ringworld-syfy/

They will be announced officially today

This would be great if done properly. So much for the death of scifi.

RAMA

Klaus April 11 2013 12:34 AM

Re: Ringworld and Childhood's End mini-series coming to Syfy

A channel devoted to sf decides to adapt true stone-cold classics... too bad the prospect fills me with terror.

RAMA April 11 2013 12:36 AM

Quote:

Klaus wrote: (Post 7927030)
A channel devoted to sf decides to adapt true stone-cold classics... too bad the prospect fills me with terror.

Honestly the execs must be on crack..too much real scifi happening here...

Gotham Central April 11 2013 12:41 AM

Quote:

I'm not sure why? While the channel has not always been the best at scifi tv, it's mini series have usually been top notch.

T J April 11 2013 12:55 AM

Interesting... But can we trust the syfy channel to do real justice to Nessus and Speaker to Animals? ...or even Louie for that matter. Teela should be easy I suppose, any Cali girl should do.

Temis the Vorta April 11 2013 01:23 AM

Quote:

RAMA wrote: (Post 7927045)
Quote:

Honestly the execs must be on crack..too much real scifi happening here...

My theory: a transporter accident has replaced the SyFy honchos with their Mirror Universe counterparts, where the SyFy channel isn't frightened of anything approximating science fiction.

Emh April 11 2013 02:17 AM

I'm both excited and terrified by this news. Sci-Fi (back when it had the sensible name) had plans to make a Ringworld mini-series nine years ago (I remember being very excited back then) but it never came to fruition. Now Syfy wants to do this. I've been waiting for a Ringworld adaptation for so long that I'm happy that it's finally happening (theoretically), but Syfy's track record isn't very good.

Mr. Adventure April 11 2013 02:20 AM

Maybe there's a point of diminishing returns in sharks, disasters and reality TV?

Klaus April 11 2013 03:28 AM

Mega-Puppeteer vs. Kzinti-don?

I've actually not watched anything other than BSG on Siffy in a decade or more... the reports about the Riverworld atrocity kept me away from their Dune ones, though I've heard OK things about those.

Shawnster April 11 2013 01:02 PM

I preferred the SiFi (er, SyFy) Dune miniseries over the David Lynch theatrical release. It's obvious their budget was much more limited, but I though the story was far more true to the source material.

Sindatur April 11 2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Shawnster wrote: (Post 7929184)
I preferred the SiFi (er, SyFy) Dune miniseries over the David Lynch theatrical release. It's obvious their budget was much more limited, but I though the story was far more true to the source material.

I don't know the Source Material, but, I definitely found SyFy Dune Miniseries better than Lynch's

Matter of fact, I believe their Mini-Series overall have a great reputation, the only ones I've heard bad things about were the EarthSea and the RiverWorld ones. I didn't particularly care for their Wizard of Oz one, but, it was well received, so, it seems in this case, the problem was me, not the MiniSeries

RAMA April 11 2013 07:16 PM

Ringworld may have more impact. Childhood's End visuals have been borrowed over and over again by other SF movies and series for years. Ringworld has had few peers in visual fiction.

Forbin April 11 2013 07:33 PM

Some test footage of Speaker To animals:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3019289.html

xortex April 11 2013 08:06 PM

Lynch's 'Dune' was way better than the trite Sy-fy put out. It was boring. Sci-fi should never be boring. I didn't like the lead nearly as much as KM. 'Dune' is a classic movie. Makes Trek look like bland soup.

Spider April 12 2013 05:55 AM

SyFy original movies are just gawd awful. They're worse than just bad. But they have put out some very good mini series. That channel is a mixed bag to say the least.