The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Doctor Who (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Clara and the colour red (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=208855)

Worf2DS9 April 10 2013 05:00 PM

Clara and the colour red

Since JLC's first appearance in "Asylum of the Daleks," I've noticed that the colour red has been a part of each version of the character. Whether there's anything deeper than just a cursory bit of continuity, I'm not sure, but it's kinda cool nonetheless.

Oswin Oswald: sexy red dress, red sneakers, red stripes on socks

Clara Oswin Oswald: first half of episode she wears a deep red dress

Clara Oswald: the most important leaf in the universe is red; she's wearing a red jacket when the Doc meets her as a kid; at her mum's funeral, she's wearing a red coat; when we first meet present day Clara, she's wearing a red/black top; she wears red leather gloves on the motorbike, her red satchel is a continuing accessory.

Is there something there or do I just have too much time on my hands? Maybe she just likes the colour red! :lol:

Klaus April 11 2013 03:31 AM

Re: Clara and the colour red

I don't think it's more than the cute-brunette-looks-good-in-red factor... :D

The Mirrorball Man April 11 2013 03:34 AM

I think it's a very deliberate choice by the costume department to give Clara her own visual signature, but I don't think there's any narrative reason for that choice.

Gep Malakai April 11 2013 03:40 AM

Of interest is that Clara has died (twice!) and doesn't know it; this puts me in mind of The Sixth Sense which also marked dead characters with the color red and used it to foreshadow the final twist. Perhaps it's a reference, or perhaps it is significant some way.

Psion April 11 2013 04:07 AM

Quote:

Gep Malakai wrote: (Post 7927870)
Of interest is that Clara has died (twice!) and doesn't know it; this puts me in mind of The Sixth Sense which also marked dead characters with the color red and used it to foreshadow the final twist. Perhaps it's a reference, or perhaps it is significant some way.

Or, for that matter, certain engineering and security officers from the Starship Enterprise. :biggrin:

Sindatur April 11 2013 04:46 AM

Quote:

Psion wrote: (Post 7927963)
Quote:

Or, for that matter, certain engineering and security officers from the Starship Enterprise. :biggrin:

I think that pretty much covers it :devil:

Gep Malakai April 11 2013 04:48 AM

Quote:

Psion wrote: (Post 7927963)
Quote:

Heh. Well, I think it's more significant that red was a hint that Bruce Willis was dead all along and didn't know it which is a situation much akin to the one that Clara finds herself in.

teacake April 11 2013 04:53 AM

She looks better in red than 99% of people, fabulous!

Gov Kodos April 11 2013 11:51 AM

And Amy had something red in most episodes, especially in her first season. It may just be a choice of the actress giving the character a favorite color rather than some deeper meaning.

Mr Awe April 11 2013 02:44 PM

I think they're just giving the character a color theme. That's not unusual to begin with but they may particularly want one for Clara in order to draw the connection between her separate selves. I wouldn't read too much into it though.

Mr Awe

The Mirrorball Man April 11 2013 04:41 PM

It's nice when people agree with me. :)

Psion April 12 2013 12:23 AM

Quote:

The Mirrorball Man wrote: (Post 7929940)

I beg to differ.

The Mirrorball Man April 12 2013 04:22 AM

Quote:

Psion wrote: (Post 7931887)
Quote:

I beg to differ.

You don't think it's nice?

Psion April 12 2013 04:25 AM

Quote:

The Mirrorball Man wrote: (Post 7932670)
Quote:

Psion wrote: (Post 7931887)
Quote:

I beg to differ.

You don't think it's nice?

I'm just being disagreeable.

Starkers April 12 2013 08:54 AM

Is it red? Looked Mauve to me...

Arghhh!! :eek: