The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Censorship and War (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=208831)

starsailorjane April 10 2013 02:27 PM

Censorship and War

Since after the Vietnam War, the main stream media has shied away from showing graphic images of war. A lot of this has moved to the internet, where the option to view is available. However, most people tend to avoid this and they do not get exposed to the graphic images that those during the Vietnam era were exposed to. Even some of the so called liberal message boards ban graphic images of this kind.

Is this a positive?

I think so. I ultimately think war should be viewed from as aseptic a point of view as possible. Soldiers are ultimately pawns in the global chessboard of geopolitics. Sometimes the widespread deaths of soldiers is necessary for the greater good. The more suffering and death that can be desensitized with the general public, the the more a leader can maintain public support for a bloody war. The more abstract these concepts become to the general public, the better it is for national security and the human psyche. Otherwise, you increase the likelihood of public discontent with the war, like what happened with Vietnam. We could've still won that war.

BillJ April 10 2013 02:32 PM

Re: Censorship and War

Odd sub-forum for such a thread...

R. Star April 10 2013 03:29 PM

So you're saying Picard should've led us during the Vietnam war?

T'Girl April 10 2013 06:23 PM

Both LBJ and Nixon watched "A Private Little War" and quietly nodded their heads.

:)

Ensign_Redshirt April 10 2013 06:31 PM

Quote:

BillJ wrote: (Post 7924309)
Odd sub-forum for such a thread...

Not to mention that it makes a pretty bizarre thread on itself...

Rhaven April 10 2013 06:33 PM

Quote:

starsailorjane wrote: (Post 7924297)
Since after the Vietnam War, the main stream media has shied away from showing graphic images of war. A lot of this has moved to the internet, where the option to view is available. However, most people tend to avoid this and they do not get exposed to the graphic images that those during the Vietnam era were exposed to. Even some of the so called liberal message boards ban graphic images of this kind.

Is this a positive?

I think so. I ultimately think war should be viewed from as aseptic a point of view as possible. Soldiers are ultimately pawns in the global chessboard of geopolitics. Sometimes the widespread deaths of soldiers is necessary for the greater good. The more suffering and death that can be desensitized with the general public, the the more a leader can maintain public support for a bloody war. The more abstract these concepts become to the general public, the better it is for national security and the human psyche. Otherwise, you increase the likelihood of public discontent with the war, like what happened with Vietnam. We could've still won that war.

"Sometimes the widespread deaths of soldiers is necessary for the greater good"
Which side are you speaking of? Our soldiers? Theirs?
Speaking as the mother of a deployed soldier, one loss is one too many.

BillJ April 10 2013 06:39 PM

Quote:

Rhaven wrote: (Post 7925212)
...one loss is one too many.

This. :techman:

Use of Time April 10 2013 07:13 PM

Quote:

starsailorjane wrote: (Post 7924297)

Is this a positive?

Saying phrases like "sometimes the widespread deaths of Soldiers is necessary for the greater good" and "we could have won the Vietnam War" in the same paragraph would be hilariously ironic if it weren't so God damned sad.

sonak April 10 2013 07:17 PM

er, so you're saying that in the TNG era, Starfleet should censor images and reports of war?

R. Star April 10 2013 07:26 PM

Quote:

sonak wrote: (Post 7925425)
er, so you're saying that in the TNG era, Starfleet should censor images and reports of war?

"What about freedom of the press?"
"Please tell me you're not that naive."

matthunter April 10 2013 08:22 PM

The OP is a sockpuppet account that has been banned twice now from TNZ for starting political troll threads. I'm assuming from their level of cunning displayed thus far that they simply got the wrong subforum, along with forgetting to tie their shoelaces.

R. Star April 10 2013 08:24 PM

Considering the level of hateful posting as the norm in TNZ... I'm almost morbidly curious what you have to do there to get banned. :p

matthunter April 10 2013 08:35 PM

Quote:

R. Star wrote: (Post 7925839)
Considering the level of hateful posting as the norm in TNZ... I'm almost morbidly curious what you have to do there to get banned. :p

Be so blatantly trolling as to have posted the exact same topic, just phrased from different sides of political aisle, on multiple boards including one devoted to rape fetishism (known to us due to another poster's patronage of said site which has - quite aside from his utter lack of wit, charm or indeed evidence of basic synaptic function - earned him almost universal derision).

Avon April 10 2013 08:37 PM

well the OP started another Admiral Cain thread in BSG, agreeing with the last crazy thread, so i cant imagine they'll last long

Rhaven April 10 2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

matthunter wrote: (Post 7925917)
Quote:

R. Star wrote: (Post 7925839)

Be so blatantly trolling as to have posted the exact same topic, just phrased from different sides of political aisle, on multiple boards including one devoted to rape fetishism (known to us due to another poster's patronage of said site which has - quite aside from his utter lack of wit, charm or indeed evidence of basic synaptic function - earned him almost universal derision).

Good to know. Thanks.