The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Deep Space Nine (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Worf & Dax’s Descendants in the Episode Children of Time (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=208774)

Ro_Laren April 9 2013 09:40 PM

Worf & Dax’s Descendants in the Episode Children of Time
 
In the fifth season Children of Time, the Defiant gets stuck in orbit around a planet called Gaia in the Gamma Quadrant. When the crew beams down to meet the planet’s inhabitants below, they meet their own descendants. Their descendants say that when the Defiant tries to leave orbit, it will meet a temporal anomaly and be sent 200 years into the past when they will settle down on the planet.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i6...ps8498d03b.png

When we meet the descendant with the Dax host, named Yedrin Dax, he tells Jadzia Dax that her and Worf will get married a couple years after the crash. However, when we see the Klingons on the planet, they do not appear to have any spots. And, when we see the Trills on the planet, they do not have any ridges. You could say in theory that the distinctive Trill and Klingon markings are being “breed out” because there are more Humans than any other race amongst the Defiant crew. You can see that even the Klingons do not have prominent ridges (if any at all) and the Trill do not have as many spots as Jadzia Dax.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i6...ps559d0454.jpg

What is your theory? Did we just see a bad sampling on the show (i.e. there are lots of people with spots and ridges on the planet, but we didn’t see them on screen)? Did Worf and Jadzia divorce and then have kids with humans? Is it a weird genetic anomaly? Were the ridges and spots “breed out” of Worf and Jadzia’s descendants?

R. Star April 9 2013 09:43 PM

Re: Worf & Dax’s Descendants in the Episode Children of Time
 
Doctor Bashir probably came out with some mumbo jumbo about them needing to have babies with different mates to create a larger gene pool. Valid point, but you know he just wanted to get into Dax's pants.

Pondwater April 9 2013 11:45 PM

Re: Worf & Dax’s Descendants in the Episode Children of Time
 
The Spots could have been a recessive trait, like blue eyes.

Ro_Laren April 10 2013 01:50 AM

Re: Worf & Dax’s Descendants in the Episode Children of Time
 
^ & you think the ridges are too? Look at the ridge-less Yedrin.

JirinPanthosa April 10 2013 04:19 AM

Re: Worf & Dax’s Descendants in the Episode Children of Time
 
Trills and Klingons can't have children without genetic manipulation which would not have been available on the planet.

Tosk April 10 2013 05:02 AM

Re: Worf & Dax’s Descendants in the Episode Children of Time
 
The original question is answered in the episode. It's not as though the Dax/Worf descendants could breed amongst themselves, they had to mix with other species.

Dax "I like your spots."
Lisa "Most people don't have them because our ancestors were mostly human. My mom says they make me special."
Molly "It's just genetics, Lisa. Like Torvin's ridges."

od0_ital April 10 2013 10:14 AM

Re: Worf & Dax’s Descendants in the Episode Children of Time
 
Quote:

JirinPanthosa wrote: (Post 7922968)
Trills and Klingons can't have children without genetic manipulation which would not have been available on the planet.

This.

With resources at the station, Bashir could help Jadzia & Worf have children (see 'Tears of the Prophets'), but not on the planet.

And we know that Klingons can breed with humans (see TNG 'The Emissary' and Star Trek: Voyager). Klingons and Klingon/human hybrids can even continue to have children (see TNG 'Reunion').

So, obviously, Jadzia & Worf had an open marriage. They loved each other but had sex with human members of the crew to keep the colony goin'.

R. Star April 10 2013 07:29 PM

Re: Worf & Dax’s Descendants in the Episode Children of Time
 
Quote:

od0_ital wrote: (Post 7923679)
Quote:

JirinPanthosa wrote: (Post 7922968)
Trills and Klingons can't have children without genetic manipulation which would not have been available on the planet.

This.

With resources at the station, Bashir could help Jadzia & Worf have children (see 'Tears of the Prophets'), but not on the planet.

And we know that Klingons can breed with humans (see TNG 'The Emissary' and Star Trek: Voyager). Klingons and Klingon/human hybrids can even continue to have children (see TNG 'Reunion').

So, obviously, Jadzia & Worf had an open marriage. They loved each other but had sex with human members of the crew to keep the colony goin'.

Try as I might, I just can't picture Worf going for that. :p

od0_ital April 10 2013 09:34 PM

Re: Worf & Dax’s Descendants in the Episode Children of Time
 
Quote:

R. Star wrote: (Post 7925515)
Quote:

od0_ital wrote: (Post 7923679)
Quote:

JirinPanthosa wrote: (Post 7922968)
Trills and Klingons can't have children without genetic manipulation which would not have been available on the planet.

This.

With resources at the station, Bashir could help Jadzia & Worf have children (see 'Tears of the Prophets'), but not on the planet.

And we know that Klingons can breed with humans (see TNG 'The Emissary' and Star Trek: Voyager). Klingons and Klingon/human hybrids can even continue to have children (see TNG 'Reunion').

So, obviously, Jadzia & Worf had an open marriage. They loved each other but had sex with human members of the crew to keep the colony goin'.

Try as I might, I just can't picture Worf going for that. :p

Try harder, then, since he obviously did, or else there wouldn't have been any descenents with ridges or spots, but not both ridges and spots.

:klingon:

Dover April 10 2013 09:38 PM

Re: Worf & Dax’s Descendants in the Episode Children of Time
 
Jadzia would have to breed with someone in order to create more Trills for Dax to live on with. Of course the idea that someone with diluted Trill blood can support the symbiont is a little questionable, but necessary for the plot so I don't think too hard about it.

R. Star April 10 2013 10:29 PM

Re: Worf & Dax’s Descendants in the Episode Children of Time
 
Worf's the guy who got insanely jealous when Ezri had dinner with Captain Boday. Maybe the split up after their 'beautiful wedding."

od0_ital April 11 2013 06:20 AM

Re: Worf & Dax’s Descendants in the Episode Children of Time
 
^

Worf got jealous about Ezri's dinner because 1) jealousy was still an option in a large, ever changin' population aboard a space station and 2) because of his unresolved feelings over Jadzia's loss.

In 'Children of Time', there wouldn't have been an untimely death for Jadzia, she & Worf could have lived together quite awhile, and even if they boinked other people (which they totally did for the sake of the colony's gene pool), they would still be together as a couple and could have non-procreative sex.

R. Star April 11 2013 06:55 AM

Re: Worf & Dax’s Descendants in the Episode Children of Time
 
Quote:

od0_ital wrote: (Post 7928419)
^

Worf got jealous about Ezri's dinner because 1) jealousy was still an option in a large, ever changin' population aboard a space station and 2) because of his unresolved feelings over Jadzia's loss.

In 'Children of Time', there wouldn't have been an untimely death for Jadzia, she & Worf could have lived together quite awhile, and even if they boinked other people (which they totally did for the sake of the colony's gene pool), they would still be together as a couple and could have non-procreative sex.

I get that. I just don't see Mister Klingon honor, our souls and bodies are joined and our hearts beat for each other and each other alone going along with it no matter the circumstances. Worf's not exactly flexible and adaptable.

Deckerd April 11 2013 08:40 AM

Re: Worf & Dax’s Descendants in the Episode Children of Time
 
I'd say he's adaptable. First Klingon in Starfleet sounds adaptable to me. Also he, like all Klingons talks the talk but is a pragmatist at heart.

Ziz April 11 2013 08:43 AM

Re: Worf & Dax’s Descendants in the Episode Children of Time
 
Quote:

R. Star wrote: (Post 7928506)
Quote:

od0_ital wrote: (Post 7928419)
^

Worf got jealous about Ezri's dinner because 1) jealousy was still an option in a large, ever changin' population aboard a space station and 2) because of his unresolved feelings over Jadzia's loss.

In 'Children of Time', there wouldn't have been an untimely death for Jadzia, she & Worf could have lived together quite awhile, and even if they boinked other people (which they totally did for the sake of the colony's gene pool), they would still be together as a couple and could have non-procreative sex.

I get that. I just don't see Mister Klingon honor, our souls and bodies are joined and our hearts beat for each other and each other alone going along with it no matter the circumstances. Worf's not exactly flexible and adaptable.

Under normal "home" circumstances, yes, Worf would be strict about fidelity. But in this situation where they're basically isolated from the rest of human existence, it would get to the point where he wouldn't have a choice - he'd have to "spread the wealth".


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.