The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Why is DC so far behind Marvel in terms of movies? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=208732)

The Overlord April 9 2013 07:01 AM

Why is DC so far behind Marvel in terms of movies?

It seems like in the last decade, Marvel has greatly surpassed DC in terms of success in the movie industry. There have been several Marvel franchises launched in the last decade, DC has made some great Batman movies, but that is it. Jonah Hex, Superman Returns, Green Lantern and Catwoman all failed to launch a successful film franchise in this past decade.

Why is DC so far behind Marvel in terms of movies?

The Lensman April 9 2013 07:37 AM

Re: Why is DC so far behind Marvel in terms of movies?

Because DC is owned by Warner Brothers and has zero say in what movies of their properties get made. Warner Brothers is a movie studio, not a "make DC comics into movies" studio. To them, the comic book movies are a small part of their overall movie business, whereas Marvel Studios was created to do nothing more than make movies of Marvel comic books. It sucks, but that's just the way it is.

Turtletrekker April 9 2013 07:45 AM

Marvel has a plan. WB/DC doesn't

Nightowl1701 April 9 2013 10:57 AM

It's also pretty clear the WB executives (and the filmmakers they hire to handle the characters, except for Christopher Nolan) don't have a clue what made the DC superheroes successful in the first place and aren't particularly interested in learning. (In fact, their general contempt for comic books is palpable.) This hasn't stopped them from blatantly meddling not only in the film adaptations but in the comics themselves, trying to recast the whole pantheon in the image of Nolan's Batman and in turn rendering the DC superheroes all but unrecognizable. Disney, on the other hand, has been mostly hands off with its Marvel properties: "You know these guys, we don't. We trust you. Just make us the best movies possible."

Relayer1 April 9 2013 11:04 AM

The above posts are pretty bang on, but I also think that DC have less top flight characters. Admittedly Superman and Batman are as big as it gets, but after that they are very much 2nd division.

Wonder Woman may be an exception, but no-one has a clue what to do with her...

Guy Gardener April 9 2013 11:12 AM

I wrote a Wonder Woman script.

Well half a page.

But I meant to finish it.

It started with President Luthor Hanging Jimmy Olsen with Diana's golden lariat on the white house lawn.

Tosk April 9 2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

Relayer1 wrote: (Post 7919491)
The above posts are pretty bang on, but I also think that DC have less top flight characters.

I don't think that's much of an excuse though. Part of Marvel's success has been taking second-tier heroes (by necessity, seeing as almost all of Marvel's headliners were already taken by various studios) and making them household names. Nerds knew Iron Man, but he sure wasn't particularly well known before his movie. Or Thor.

Can you believe we'll be seeing an Ant-Man movie before too long? And D̶̶C̶ WB can't even get a Wonder Woman movie off the ground.

Edit: No, you're right. I was thinking purely the 'Marvel Cinematic Universe', but the OP talks about all the other franchises too, so apologies for that. All that typing just to make myself look foolish. :)

Guy Gardener April 9 2013 12:21 PM

It just seems weird to me that regular people wouldn't know who Iron Man or Thor were.

I mean you try to explain Moon Knight and they just go blank, that's off on the fringe, but Iron Man has had several Saturday Morning Cartoons.

The only reason any one knew who Spider-Man was before the Rami movie was becuae of the Electric Company. That fucker taught me how to read and write.

The Overlord April 9 2013 02:32 PM

Quote:

The Lensman wrote: (Post 7919191)
Because DC is owned by Warner Brothers and has zero say in what movies of their properties get made. Warner Brothers is a movie studio, not a "make DC comics into movies" studio. To them, the comic book movies are a small part of their overall movie business, whereas Marvel Studios was created to do nothing more than make movies of Marvel comic books. It sucks, but that's just the way it is.

I wonder why WB can't give DC their own studio, sure that is expensive, but considering how much money Marvel studios has made for Disney, it might be a good investment.

Disney payed 4 billion dollars for Marvel and that investment seems to have payed off. It just seems Disney/Marvel are more willing to take risks, while DC/WB are just playing catch up, that is why a lot of the Green Lantern film feels like a poor man's Iron Man and why WB is only making an JLA movie now, after Avengers made a billion dollars at the box office.

Gaith April 9 2013 03:00 PM

1) Marvel's characters are just plain better. Cue a pointed dissent from Christopher in 3... 2... 1..., but it's true. ;)

2) Gotham aside (it gets a pass on grimdarkness), fictional cities are passť. Places like Metropolis and Star City were probably a lot more interesting and felt more real to suburban and rural kids around the country before decades of on-location movies and TV shows made real cities, and New York in particular, far more relatable than Generic Superhero Town #4. Indeed, the non-relatability of anonymous cities was superbly exploited in the Matrix films.

jayceee April 9 2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Guy Gardener wrote: (Post 7919563)
The only reason any one knew who Spider-Man was before the Rami movie was becuae of the Electric Company. That fucker taught me how to read and write.

I grew up watching the first Spiderman cartoon from the late 1960's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-...7_TV_series%29

Gaith April 9 2013 03:03 PM

^ Guy was joking.

Quote:

The Overlord wrote: (Post 7919869)
DC/WB are just playing catch up, that is why a lot of the Green Lantern film feels like a poor man's Iron Man and why WB is only making an JLA movie now, after Avengers made a billion dollars at the box office.

The Overlord, The Overlord... WB is not making a JLA movie. ;)

RoJoHen April 9 2013 04:51 PM

Quote:

Guy Gardener wrote: (Post 7919563)
It just seems weird to me that regular people wouldn't know who Iron Man or Thor were.

Well, I think regular people may have heard of them, but there isn't any reason for them to know anything about them. Unlike Batman, Superman, Spider-Man, the X-Men, etc...Iron Man and Thor didn't really have much exposure outside of the comics.

I grew up watching Batman, X-Men, and Spider-Man cartoons in the 90s. The Hulk and Wonder Woman TV shows were before my time, and those character haven't really gotten a ton of exposure since then.

And maybe it's just me, but there is something inherently unrelatable about Superman and Wonder Woman. Any time I try, I just can't seem to care about them. In fact, the only DC character I've ever had any interest in is Batman.

Savage Dragon April 9 2013 04:54 PM

I started feeling old when my friend's wife told me everything she new about the X-Men came from the 90s cartoon when she was a kid. I was in my 20s when that cartoon first aired and I have never seen a single episode.

RoJoHen April 9 2013 04:56 PM

Whereas I have only ever read one single issue of any comic book ever. Something about Juggernaut and Jean Grey wandering around a sewer and Onslaught coming back (and me going, "who the heck is Onslaught?").