The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek - Original Series (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Airplane II Enterprise Footage (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=208588)

Kamdan April 8 2013 04:22 AM

Airplane II Enterprise Footage

Does anyone know what episode the footage of the Enterprise was lifted from in Airplane II?

sbk1234 April 8 2013 04:36 AM

Re: Airplane II Enterprise Footage

I think it was simply stock footage used in just about every episode of Star Trek.

Cap'n Claus April 8 2013 04:54 AM

Pretty sure it was the piece used at the start of Operation -- Annihilate! It was only used one more time, in The Tholian Web (unless I missed an occurrence).

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/File...Airplane_2.jpg

ZapBrannigan April 8 2013 05:37 AM

Did anyone see it on the big screen? I wonder if they cropped the starfield to fit the wide screen, and how did the resolution hold up at such magnification.

Grant April 8 2013 09:44 PM

Quote:

ZapBrannigan wrote: (Post 7913362)
Did anyone see it on the big screen? I wonder if they cropped the starfield to fit the wide screen, and how did the resolution hold up at such magnification.

I did see it on the big screen and just can't remember that far back and of course, i probably wasn't thinking of those things during the movie. Now I would though--too late.

Metryq April 9 2013 12:14 AM

I have just the Murdock scenes from AIRPLANE II in my archives. The video is from DVD, and it is cropped to a 16:9 aspect. The footage has an obvious grain difference from the rest of the movie.

That "video wall" gag was the funniest bit (which is why I didn't keep the rest of the movie).

ZapBrannigan April 9 2013 12:51 AM

Quote:

Metryq wrote: (Post 7917589)
I have just the Murdock scenes from AIRPLANE II in my archives. The video is from DVD, and it is cropped to a 16:9 aspect. The footage has an obvious grain difference from the rest of the movie.

That "video wall" gag was the funniest bit (which is why I didn't keep the rest of the movie).

Grain or no grain, the Enterprise was the best looking piece of hardware in that film by a long way. It would be a nice little clip to have... :techman:

Amasov April 10 2013 06:56 PM

Over Macho Grande? :D

Also from IMDB.

"The machine whose purpose William Shatner's staff cannot fathom is a prop from the Regula 1 Space Station set of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan."

Say what you want, Airplane II, while not as good as the first, was still incredibly funny.

Admiral Buzzkill April 10 2013 07:08 PM

Most of the props from Regula 1 were rental pieces used in a variety of movies at that time, so the set decorators of Airplane II may or may not have been aware of their Trek connection - no, it would not have been "too great a coincidence."

Garrovick April 10 2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Amasov wrote: (Post 7925293)
Over Macho Grande? :D

Also from IMDB.

"The machine whose purpose William Shatner's staff cannot fathom is a prop from the Regula 1 Space Station set of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan."

Say what you want, Airplane II, while not as good as the first, was still incredibly funny.

Elaine, this is faster than man has ever traveled before...

OOOOOOHHHHHH WOOOOOOOW :lol:

But yeah, the shot of the Enterprise was from Operation Annihilate - the only other time they used the shot in The Tholian Web, they were going through interphase and there were no stars in the background. It's a great shot, wonder why they didn't use it more often.

Dale Sams April 12 2013 02:52 AM

"What's your impression"
"I'm sorry, I don't do impressions. My profession is psychiatry"

Keith1701 April 12 2013 04:31 AM

Quote:

ZapBrannigan wrote: (Post 7917790)
Quote:

Metryq wrote: (Post 7917589)

Grain or no grain, the Enterprise was the best looking piece of hardware in that film by a long way. It would be a nice little clip to have... :techman:

This was a very funny movie for sure.

publiusr April 14 2013 10:24 PM

That looked very clean--the best that flyby has looked. The only time the Datin model was seen on the big screen

Hambone April 19 2013 07:52 PM

Quote:

Amasov wrote: (Post 7925293)
Over Macho Grande?

I don't think I'll ever get over Macho Grande.

Mark_Nguyen April 19 2013 11:25 PM

Those wounds... Run pretty deep.

Mark