The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Voyager (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Voyager and MBTI (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=208543)

Ryva Brall April 7 2013 07:58 PM

Voyager and MBTI
 
Hi. First of all, I realize it's been a while. It's always a good idea to write down your password. And that's all I'll say on the subject. :whistle:

Anyway, I noticed that there no threads speculating the types of the Voyager characters, according to the Myers Briggs test. I realize it's not a completely accurate test, and that fictional characters are almost never easy to type, because they're not always written consistently. But I thought it might be fun.

So here are my best guesses on a few of the characters:

Janeway - ENTJ (with a strong F)
Chakotay - INFP
Tuvok - ISTP
Harry - INTP
Neelix - ENFP
Seven - INTJ
The Doctor - ENTP

One website typed the Doc as an ISFP, but I don't see that at all. He's not exactly humble or down-to-earth, and he's not an introvert. He was antisocial in the beginning of the series, but that was due to inexperience. (And being programmed as a grouch. :lol:) Once he developed his own personality, he was outgoing, ambitious, and enthusiastic.

Anyway, that's what I think. Not sure about the rest of the characters. How about you guys? Any ideas?

Melakon April 7 2013 08:21 PM

Re: Voyager and MBTI
 
I only took Intro to Psychology, and that was in 1969, so even after reading the Wiki article, I have no idea what any of this is about. Except for the password business.

Captain Kathryn April 7 2013 09:36 PM

Re: Voyager and MBTI
 
Quote:

Ryva Brall wrote: (Post 7910947)
Hi. First of all, I realize it's been a while. It's always a good idea to write down your password. And that's all I'll say on the subject. :whistle:

Anyway, I noticed that there no threads speculating the types of the Voyager characters, according to the Myers Briggs test. I realize it's not a completely accurate test, and that fictional characters are almost never easy to type, because they're not always written consistently. But I thought it might be fun.

So here are my best guesses on a few of the characters:

Janeway - ENTJ (with a strong F)
Chakotay - INFP
Tuvok - ISTP
Harry - INTP
Neelix - ENFP
Seven - INTJ
The Doctor - ENTP

One website typed the Doc as an ISFP, but I don't see that at all. He's not exactly humble or down-to-earth, and he's not an introvert. He was antisocial in the beginning of the series, but that was due to inexperience. (And being programmed as a grouch. :lol:) Once he developed his own personality, he was outgoing, ambitious, and enthusiastic.

Anyway, that's what I think. Not sure about the rest of the characters. How about you guys? Any ideas?


Ooo...fun! I know a pretty good deal about the Myers-Briggs personality types. Whenever I take the test, I am consistently shown as INFP.

For those who don't know, here's a map of what the types mean according to the official website:

Favorite world: Do you prefer to focus on the outer world or on your own inner world?
This is called Extraversion (E) or Introversion (I).

Information: Do you prefer to focus on the basic information you take in or do you prefer to interpret and add meaning?
This is called Sensing (S) or Intuition (N).

Decisions: When making decisions, do you prefer to first look at logic and consistency or first look at the people and special circumstances?
This is called Thinking (T) or Feeling (F).

Structure: In dealing with the outside world, do you prefer to get things decided or do you prefer to stay open to new information and options?
This is called Judging (J) or Perceiving (P).

Captain Kathryn April 7 2013 09:43 PM

Re: Voyager and MBTI
 
Here are my own guesses:

Janeway - ENFJ (slightly different from what you had...I think she let her feelings dictate her decisions more often than just looking at the logical action.)
Chakotay - INFP
Tuvok - ISTJ or INTP
Harry - ISFJ
Neelix - ESFP
Seven - ISTP
The Doctor - ENTP or ENTJ

teacake April 7 2013 10:13 PM

Re: Voyager and MBTI
 
The EMH is a classic ENTP in my opinion.

Captain Kathryn April 7 2013 10:15 PM

Re: Voyager and MBTI
 
Quote:

teacake wrote: (Post 7911526)
The EMH is a classic ENTP in my opinion.

What would you give Janeway?

teacake April 7 2013 10:22 PM

Re: Voyager and MBTI
 
I've always seen her as an S but it's hard to jig that into her also being Fe as she sure isn't an ESFJ. Fiction being not as easy to type as real people. The problem with making her an ENFJ is that would make her Fe dominant and I don't see that either. So I tend to think of her as an ESTJ with highly developed people skills. I could get sold on ENTJ though.

dub April 7 2013 10:23 PM

Re: Voyager and MBTI
 
My favorite was the ENTC, but I also like the ENTA and the movie ENT.

:p

teacake April 7 2013 10:28 PM

Re: Voyager and MBTI
 
I wish we had gotten a movie ENT.. but I wish we had gotten a movie VOY even more :D

Captain Kathryn April 7 2013 10:33 PM

Re: Voyager and MBTI
 
Quote:

teacake wrote: (Post 7911628)
I wish we had gotten a movie ENT.. but I wish we had gotten a movie VOY even more :D

They really should have made a movie for VOY. :weep:

teacake April 7 2013 10:35 PM

Re: Voyager and MBTI
 

Ryva Brall April 7 2013 11:05 PM

Re: Voyager and MBTI
 
Quote:

Captain Kathryn wrote: (Post 7911397)
Here are my own guesses:

Janeway - ENFJ (slightly different from what you had...I think she let her feelings dictate her decisions more often than just looking at the logical action.)
Chakotay - INFP
Tuvok - ISTJ or INTP
Harry - ISFJ
Neelix - ESFP
Seven - ISTP
The Doctor - ENTP or ENTJ

Just curious; why do you type Seven as an ISTP? Most people seem to think she's an INTJ, including myself. (Of course, that may be because I'm an INTJ, and I strongly identify with her.)

By the way, that was a great description of the Myers-Briggs type indicator. I was trying to think of a way to explain it without being too long-winded, but you did it splendidly.

teacake April 7 2013 11:10 PM

Re: Voyager and MBTI
 
I think she's quite S myself, she's very literal. But I also think she's very hard to type as her personality is trying to find itself amidst the Borg programming. Certainly agree with the ITJ.

Captain Kathryn April 7 2013 11:13 PM

Re: Voyager and MBTI
 
Quote:

Ryva Brall wrote: (Post 7911790)
Quote:

Captain Kathryn wrote: (Post 7911397)
Here are my own guesses:

Janeway - ENFJ (slightly different from what you had...I think she let her feelings dictate her decisions more often than just looking at the logical action.)
Chakotay - INFP
Tuvok - ISTJ or INTP
Harry - ISFJ
Neelix - ESFP
Seven - ISTP
The Doctor - ENTP or ENTJ

Just curious; why do you type Seven as an ISTP? Most people seem to think she's an INTJ, including myself. (Of course, that may be because I'm an INTJ, and I strongly identify with her.)

By the way, that was a great description of the Myers-Briggs type indicator. I was trying to think of a way to explain it without being too long-winded, but you did it splendidly.

Oh no, I didn't write it! Haha. It is a portion from the Myers Briggs website. :)

Hmm...about Seven...if not ISTP, than ISTJ.

I see her as more of the Sensing type, at least from this assessment:
http://www.myersbriggs.org/my-mbti-p...-intuition.asp

teacake April 7 2013 11:20 PM

Re: Voyager and MBTI
 
I would love to see 7 in 30 years time when she's spent more of her life as an individual than not. I wonder what she would be like.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.