The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Doctor Who (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   7X07 The Rings of Akhenaten (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!) (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=208471)

Samurai8472 April 6 2013 06:16 PM

7X07 The Rings of Akhenaten (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

http://i.imgur.com/74rF5R8.jpg

Quote:

Clara wants to see something awesome, so the Doctor whisks her off to the inhabited rings of the planet Akhenaten , where the Festival of Offerings is in full swing. Clara meets the young Queen of Years as the pilgrims and natives ready for the ceremony. But something is stirring in the pyramid, and a sacrifice will be demanded
From the trailers it looks like a mix of "The End Of The World" and "Impossible Planet"

Timofnine April 6 2013 07:24 PM

Re: 7X07 The Rings of Akhenaten (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Now that one was a bit different.... lol. I enjoyed it though :)

Pindar April 6 2013 07:30 PM

It looks like they spent a fortune on that episode. The aliens were pretty well realised and there were a lot of them.

It had a lot of interesting ideas, even if the weren't wholly successful. I can see this dividing opinion, I give them full marks for trying something different but take one back for the resolution.

Good stuff with him sneaking back in time to check out Clara's past to try and figure her out and her starting to twig to it.

DalekJim April 6 2013 07:39 PM

I don't think there was enough story there and the concept was underdeveloped. Not big on it sadly.

Bob The Skutter April 6 2013 07:41 PM

Quote:

Pindar wrote: (Post 7906666)
It looks like they spent a fortune on that episode. The aliens were pretty well realised and there were a lot of them.

It had a lot of interesting ideas, even if the weren't wholly successful. I can see this dividing opinion, I give them full marks for trying something different but take one back for the resolution.

Good stuff with him sneaking back in time to check out Clara's past to try and figure her out and her starting to twig to it.

Really? I thought it looked like they'd badly stretched the budget, none of the aliens even had faces that moved. The sets really limited. There were some interesting stuff that didn't really seem to hit properly. And to be honest the whole thing with Clara is grating. What is it with Moffat and the obsession that the companion has to be special, and the Doctor will have known/seen them through various parts of their life? Amy, River (in a round about sort of way), Reinette, now Clara, it's annoying.

Personally I would say so far I'm enjoying it more than last series but there are some things that really are bugging me.

Pindar April 6 2013 07:47 PM

Quote:

Bob The Skutter wrote: (Post 7906699)
Really? I thought it looked like they'd badly stretched the budget, none of the aliens even had faces that moved. The sets really limited. There were some interesting stuff that didn't really seem to hit properly. And to be honest the whole thing with Clara is grating. What is it with Moffat and the obsession that the companion has to be special, and the Doctor will have known/seen them through various parts of their life? Amy, River (in a round about sort of way), Reinette, now Clara, it's annoying.

The sets were limited and the space scooter was made of wood, but then so is the TARDIS.

He's the doctor he can be choosy about his companions.

The Badger April 6 2013 07:52 PM

An enjoyable enough episode, but for me it didn't quite gel. Partly this was due to the incidental music making the dialogue indistinct. The scene where the Doctor tells Merry about her uniqueness was particularly guilty of this, with overly dramatic music almost drowning out his words. Something softer, more gentle, would have suited the mood of the speech better, too.

Or maybe I'm just getting old and need my ears syringed.

DalekJim April 6 2013 07:54 PM

No, Murray Gold just really is that shit.

Pindar April 6 2013 07:56 PM

I don't usually find the dialogue hard to make out but the music really was too loud this week.

Jax April 6 2013 08:05 PM

Quote:

Pindar wrote: (Post 7906780)
I don't usually find the dialogue hard to make out but the music really was too loud this week.

Old men the lot of you :p

Average episode but not the weakest episode of season 7 (that was Power of Three). Nice concept with some charming moments but it never got out of 2nd gear, though I loved Clara again :drool:

MickJo1701 April 6 2013 08:08 PM

Found myself staring at the clock wishing this episode would end so I could see the trail for next weeks one, not impressed at all.

DalekJim April 6 2013 08:09 PM

Quote:

Jax wrote: (Post 7906813)
Old men the lot of you :p

I'm only 24 and I thought it drowned a lot of lines out.

Quote:

Love Clara though :drool:
This is the correct opinion ;).

Bob The Skutter April 6 2013 08:12 PM

Quote:

Pindar wrote: (Post 7906717)
Quote:

Bob The Skutter wrote: (Post 7906699)

The sets were limited and the space scooter was made of wood, but then so is the TARDIS.

He's the doctor he can be choosy about his companions.

He can be choosy but I mean Amy "the girl who waited" and was special because there was this big mystery round her with the crack and the missing people and all that.
River, all the backwards timey wimey stuff.
Reinette, she manages to read his mind and know all about him, no one has ever done that.
Now Clara who is "impossible." It's all well them being special because they have characteristics that the Doctor likes or are clever or whatever but these big impossible, unique, specialness just seems needless and pointless.

Pindar April 6 2013 08:13 PM

Old? Definitely getting there, 43 I think, it gets hard to remember.

TommyR01D April 6 2013 08:50 PM

This was a catastrophically terrible episode! Perhaps not a Threshold level of actively trying to hurt the viewer, but it fell completely flat on every level, and I will probably forget it by next week.

One comment said it was like "...a poor man's The Beast Below", and that was hardly a high benchmark to start with. Yes, it had some amazing singing and atmospheric flair, but we never actually learned what any of it was about. There was very little attempt to explain the back-story of the aliens, so you couldn't really understand what was going on. The plot was incredibly weak and it's only a matter of time before someone pathetically tries to pass it off using the "art" excuse.

It was kind of like Star Trek 1: The Motionless Picture, except all tinted red instead of blue.