The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Deep Space Nine (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Was anybody surprised by Dukat striking a deal with the Dominion? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=208273)

JediKnightButler April 4 2013 01:19 AM

Was anybody surprised by Dukat striking a deal with the Dominion?

Did anybody like that it seemed to come out of nowhere? I mean, in retrospect, it seems like something that an opportunist like Dukat would do under the right circumstances- and the events of S4, specifically, the overthrow of the Central Command, the Klingon invasion of Cardassia, his demotion to freighter captain, his disillusionment about his government's weakness against the Klingons certainly laid the groundwork for his desire for Cardassia to join with the Dominion to make it "strong" and "proud" again- but would it have been interesting in seeing Dukat meet with the Dominion or were we better off not knowing before it actually happened? It does make you wonder how he contacted the Dominion and began his "negotiations"?

R. Star April 4 2013 01:26 AM

Re: Was anybody surprised by Dukat striking a deal with the Dominion?

It surprised me at the time. Season 4 Dukat was pretty much one of the good guys for example. Sure in hindsight he was just serving his own interests that just happened to be aligned with the good guys, but... the knife in your back is always a surprise.

It wasn't out of character at all. Dukat always was one to land on his feet, regardless if it requires walking softly or stepping on others.

JediKnightButler April 4 2013 01:34 AM

Quote:

R. Star wrote: (Post 7895500)
It surprised me at the time. Season 4 Dukat was pretty much one of the good guys for example. Sure in hindsight he was just serving his own interests that just happened to be aligned with the good guys, but... the knife in your back is always a surprise.

It wasn't out of character at all. Dukat always was one to land on his feet, regardless if it requires walking softly or stepping on others.

Yeah and he was even willing to see his daughter killed along with the others when the Bashir changeling was going to blow everybody in and around DS9 to pieces. I loved Sisko's confrontation with the Dukat at the end of BIL. He had Dukat pegged correctly......

ryan123450 April 4 2013 02:10 AM

I was surprised at the time. That was one of those big "Wow that was an awesome episode!" moments. Deep Space Nine was full of those episodes far moreso than any other Trek series.

indolover April 4 2013 02:30 AM

To some extent, since in the early seasons he got on (for the most part) with Sisko and even considered him a friend (though of course the feeling was never mutual). It seemed odd that in Apocalypse Rising Sisko and Dukat were at least cordial, then when Cardassia joined the Dominion they became total enemies lol...

That said, Dukat was a complex character, and perhaps the opportunity of joining the Dominion gave him the chance to express his true nature.

Saito S April 4 2013 02:33 AM

I was surprised - in that I didn't see it coming, but I don't think it was at all unbelievable given everything that had happened with the Dukat character up to that point. I definitely think hiding it from the audience until the moment it was dropped on our heroes was the way to go. It stands out as one of the great "holy &%#$!" moments, in a show that - as ryan123450 alludes to - was full of such moments.

RyuRoots April 4 2013 02:39 AM

It was the great kind of shock wherein they don't telegraph it yet it seems entirely natural and makes perfect sense when you think about it. Far too many surprise moments in episodes of television in general use them at the expense of logic, but this was definitely one of the good ones.

JediKnightButler April 5 2013 01:46 AM

Quote:

RyuRoots wrote: (Post 7895842)
It was the great kind of shock wherein they don't telegraph it yet it seems entirely natural and makes perfect sense when you think about it. Far too many surprise moments in episodes of television in general use them at the expense of logic, but this was definitely one of the good ones.

100% Agreed!

Melakon April 5 2013 02:20 AM

It wasn't that surprising for me, as it seemed inevitable given his ego. Dukat was obsessed with power, and always wanted to be number one, though he was really a number two.

Sorry, couldn't resist plumbing for bathroom humor.

Gil T.Azell April 5 2013 03:00 AM

No.

JirinPanthosa April 5 2013 03:04 AM

It was surprising at the time because up to that point it seemed like they were making him into a protagonist.

But out of character, no. Remember this man was a conquerer who never expressed an ounce of regret about the Occupation, unless of course you count the times he was trying to glorify himself as a reformer who had to fight Central Command not to make the Occupation even worse.

TheRoyalFamily April 5 2013 10:25 PM

It probably would have been surprising, if I had remembered that the Founders declared Cardassia dead at the end of S4. (And if I had watched the show in order.)

JarodRussell April 7 2013 12:45 AM

Dukat is hands down one of the best villains ever written, not only in Trek, but in televion in general.

JediKnightButler April 7 2013 02:02 AM

Quote:

TheRoyalFamily wrote: (Post 7903798)
It probably would have been surprising, if I had remembered that the Founders declared Cardassia dead at the end of S4. (And if I had watched the show in order.)

That really ended up being quite prophetic but not in the way that Garak expected.

JediKnightButler April 7 2013 02:06 AM

Quote:

JarodRussell wrote: (Post 7907878)
Dukat is hands down one of the best villains ever written, not only in Trek, but in televion in general.

I agree that he was a very well-written villain, at least up through "Waltz", when he seemingly went insane and the writers made him more of a one-dimensional "evil" character. He was a swarmy b*****d and a meglomaniac and a tyrant but even I occasionally broke down and enjoyed his character. He was definitely a real "love to hate" character. Marc Alaimo did a great job with him IMHO!