The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek - Original Series (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Spock and T'Pring? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=207823)

ZapBrannigan March 31 2013 09:50 AM

Spock and T'Pring?
 
Suppose T'Pring's plan had backfired and Spock had moved to the suburbs with her after winning the kal-if-fee. What does this couple's body language tell us about their future together?
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps70e36836.jpg

It looks like he's trying to connect with her, but she's giving him the Vulcan finger, and he rolls his eyes. They're not off to a great start here.

Metryq March 31 2013 11:56 AM

Re: Spock and T'Pring?
 
But this never happened because in a deleted scene, Spock visited T'Pring's apartment before the ceremony. He noted her subscription to Vague magazine and knew she was all about appearances.

BillJ March 31 2013 12:57 PM

Re: Spock and T'Pring?
 
She would've been banging dudes all over Shi'Kahr and he would've worked himself to an early grave. Likely a heart attack just like the old man.

Green Shirt March 31 2013 01:15 PM

Re: Spock and T'Pring?
 
Quote:

Metryq wrote: (Post 7877734)
He noted her subscription to Vague magazine

Was 'Vague" an intentional misspelling of Vogue, meaning to be ironic or something? If not, its still funny. :techman:

TREK_GOD_1 March 31 2013 02:25 PM

Re: Spock and T'Pring?
 
Quote:

ZapBrannigan wrote: (Post 7877395)
Suppose T'Pring's plan had backfired and Spock had moved to the suburbs with her after winning the kal-if-fee. What does this couple's body language tell us about their future together?
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps70e36836.jpg

It looks like he's trying to connect with her, but she's giving him the Vulcan finger, and he rolls his eyes. They're not off to a great start here.

Or he's thinking...

"Wait a second--Chapel's up there, just begging to give me all of her nurse fantasy goodness, and i'm down here dealing with this haughty b****? Hey McCoy--slip this chick a Cordrazine cocktail, set her loose among the stiffs and beam me the hell outta here!"

golddragon71 March 31 2013 02:50 PM

Re: Spock and T'Pring?
 
This has been bugging me for a few years
We've seen Spock in situations with Women prior to Amok Time and would see him in more, afterwards (True, most of those were triggered by him being "under the influence")
Now suppose for a moment that in the years Spock was at Starfleet (and that's quite a few Years btw) He developed a relationship with a female crew member
Now, if Vulcan males had to endure it every seven years of their adult life, Spock would have been hit by it during his time under Pike's command. that he didn't suggests that he might have had something going on that kept the pressures from building up.
Now, for two years under Kirk's command (and maybe a few years prior to that under Pike's) he hasn't had any "activity") Suddenly Ponn Farr hits him harder than a barrell of Romulan Ale.
Now Nu Spock doesn't have T'Pring (She's most likely dead in the destruction of Vulcan) but he does have Uhura. Will his relationship with her offset the mating drive? Or will it cause him to go out of control some night when they're off duty? and kill Uhura due to the comparative human fragility

Mr. Laser Beam March 31 2013 03:31 PM

Re: Spock and T'Pring?
 
^ If nuT'Pring died during STXI, that must have ended Spock's pon farr. So he's most likely in the clear.

In any case, his relationship with Uhura would probably take care of it as well.

Melakon March 31 2013 03:35 PM

Re: Spock and T'Pring?
 
In the image above, he's expecting to do it 4 times a week, but she's only offering once for the rest of his life.

Warped9 March 31 2013 03:44 PM

Re: Spock and T'Pring?
 
I rather liked D.C. Fontana's novel Vulcan's Glory that touches on this. For those who haven't read the book young Spock meets a young widowed Vulcan female crewman aboard Pike's Enterprise. Subsequently they have something going and Spock takes it hard when she dies. It's here that Fontana has Spock really commit to Vulcan stoicism. Fontana was probably trying to reconcile the smiling young Spock seen in "The Cage" with the familiar guy we know later.

I believe (in the book) Spock reflects on the difference in character between T'Pring and his new love.

Note, too, that in "Amok Time" Spock says he had hoped he "would be spared this," meaning he hoped he would be spared pon farr. It could be interpreted as meaning Spock's hybrid makeup had spared him from experiencing pon farr until the time of "Amok Time." But finally it catches up with him. Makes sense since otherwise Spock would have been biologically compelled to return home to fight for T'Pring more than once in previous years. Pon farr is said to occur every seven years, but in truth there is still not much known about how all this works. After the events of "Amok Time" we don't know if Spock ever had to deal with this again or how he dealt with it.

ZapBrannigan March 31 2013 04:34 PM

Re: Spock and T'Pring?
 
Quote:

Melakon wrote: (Post 7878100)
In the image above, he's expecting to do it 4 times a week, but she's only offering once for the rest of his life.

This I believe. :lol:

I always assumed that Spock was just hitting Vulcan puberty in Amok Time and before that, "doing it" was out of the question for him. I think that was the author's intention. Spock doesn't have a fun nightlife in that interpretation.


Interesting that since our culture has changed so much in 46 years, people are retconning, or at least reading things differently, to let Spock have some fun.

Edit: now that I think of it, 1970s fan fiction was reputed to have a lot of sex in it, so maybe people haven't changed so much as TV has...

golddragon71 March 31 2013 05:40 PM

Re: Spock and T'Pring?
 
T'Pring's like the chick in Office Space

"By the way Spock!......I'VE BEEN CHEATING ON YOU!!!!!!"
http://i836.photobucket.com/albums/z...psf4fb66fb.gif

Timewalker April 1 2013 01:22 AM

Re: Spock and T'Pring?
 
Quote:

ZapBrannigan wrote: (Post 7877395)
Suppose T'Pring's plan had backfired and Spock had moved to the suburbs with her after winning the kal-if-fee. What does this couple's body language tell us about their future together?
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps70e36836.jpg

It looks like he's trying to connect with her, but she's giving him the Vulcan finger, and he rolls his eyes. They're not off to a great start here.

She's thinking, "As soon as you're asleep, I'm going to slit your throat with my miniature saw blade-shaped ring..."

Quote:

ZapBrannigan wrote: (Post 7878271)
Edit: now that I think of it, 1970s fan fiction was reputed to have a lot of sex in it, so maybe people haven't changed so much as TV has...

It can, and frequently does, have a lot of sex in it. But I certainly haven't run across much where Spock ended up with T'Pring.

EnsignHarper April 1 2013 02:41 AM

Re: Spock and T'Pring?
 
Quote:

Timewalker wrote: (Post 7880269)
Quote:

ZapBrannigan wrote: (Post 7877395)
Suppose T'Pring's plan had backfired and Spock had moved to the suburbs with her after winning the kal-if-fee. What does this couple's body language tell us about their future together?
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps70e36836.jpg

It looks like he's trying to connect with her, but she's giving him the Vulcan finger, and he rolls his eyes. They're not off to a great start here.

She's thinking, "As soon as you're asleep, I'm going to slit your throat with my miniature saw blade-shaped ring..."

Quote:

ZapBrannigan wrote: (Post 7878271)
Edit: now that I think of it, 1970s fan fiction was reputed to have a lot of sex in it, so maybe people haven't changed so much as TV has...

It can, and frequently does, have a lot of sex in it. But I certainly haven't run across much where Spock ended up with T'Pring.

This was covered quite nicely at the end of AT, when Spock questions T'Pring about her motives, and after she answers him, he praises her logic in choosing Kirk as her combatant. Her only mistake, was not accounting for human duplicity in the form of McCoy. T'Pring KNEW that Spock was really 'married' to his Starfleet duty, and that whatever happened, she would still have Stonn.

ZapBrannigan April 1 2013 06:44 AM

Re: Spock and T'Pring?
 
Quote:

EnsignHarper wrote: (Post 7880698)
This was covered quite nicely at the end of AT, when Spock questions T'Pring about her motives, and after she answers him, he praises her logic in choosing Kirk as her combatant. Her only mistake, was not accounting for human duplicity in the form of McCoy. T'Pring KNEW that Spock was really 'married' to his Starfleet duty, and that whatever happened, she would still have Stonn.

It always irked me that Spock let her off scot free. She was his legal property after the fight. Having heard her explanation and knowing she was treacherous and cold enough to get a man killed, Spock should have ordered her to go live in a Vulcan convent and scrub hospital toilets for the rest of her life.

Timewalker April 1 2013 08:45 AM

Re: Spock and T'Pring?
 
Quote:

ZapBrannigan wrote: (Post 7881889)
Quote:

EnsignHarper wrote: (Post 7880698)
This was covered quite nicely at the end of AT, when Spock questions T'Pring about her motives, and after she answers him, he praises her logic in choosing Kirk as her combatant. Her only mistake, was not accounting for human duplicity in the form of McCoy. T'Pring KNEW that Spock was really 'married' to his Starfleet duty, and that whatever happened, she would still have Stonn.

It always irked me that Spock let her off scot free. She was his legal property after the fight. Having heard her explanation and knowing she was treacherous and cold enough to get a man killed, Spock should have ordered her to go live in a Vulcan convent and scrub hospital toilets for the rest of her life.

But then we wouldn't have the T'Pring/Stonn porn! (yes, there's rather a lot of it out there in fanfic-land)

Actually, I started writing a story where it was Spock who died, and Kirk has no choice but to take T'Pring (for reasons I have yet to establish in my story; I just want to explore some possibilities here...).


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.