The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Voyager (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Tuvoks Hair... ridiculous (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=207811)

StarTrekSlut March 31 2013 08:46 AM

Tuvoks Hair... ridiculous
 
Rewatching Voyager again.. As I get older i must get more cynical or something..

So for 30 years we have an idea of how vulcans are SUPPOSED to look in general. There are basic racial traits to a vulcan.. pointy ears, bowl cut pantene pro-V hair.. .. same with their offshoot the romulans... In TNG, DS9 we've had actors of VARIOUS ethnicities play romulans and vulcans with the SAME baseline defining characteristics..


Suddenly the affirmative action police decide "Hey.. lets redefine vulcans! Lets put a black guy in half assed vulcan makeup with ridiculous curdled hair and hairline and call it a vulcan!." Was it SOO HARD to put a wig and costume eyebrows on Tim Russ? Michael Dorn DEFINED klingons and wore the makeup for a DECADE! Who the f**k is tim russ?

Why do we need to have it shoved in our face this is a black guy thats some kinda vulcan. We should just accept it right? STUPIDITY..... takes away from the character development and instead you just have some ghetto looking dude who is supposed to be a vulcan..


Dont get me wrong, Tim Russ is an OK actor.. tho i think he was a bit more unreasonable than the average vulcan. I didnt get the stink of wisdom from him that i got from Sarek, Spock etc.. He seemed way too haughty ... But that aside, his whole LOOK didnt say vulcan and made it impossible for me to accept Tuvok as a traditionalist

Im sure the political correctness nazi's will pick this apart but its one of voyagers biggest flaws. Tim/Tuvok would have been an awesome character if they just stuck to the basics...

R. Star March 31 2013 08:47 AM

Re: Tuvoks Hair... ridiculous
 
You're right. Because all Vulcans are supposed to look the same. Just like all humans are blond haired and blue eyed and wear their hair the same.

Therin of Andor March 31 2013 08:52 AM

Re: Tuvoks Hair... ridiculous
 
Quote:

StarTrekSlut wrote: (Post 7877191)
There are basic racial traits to a vulcan.. pointy ears, bowl cut pantene pro-V hair.. .. same with their offshoot the romulans...

Then explain T'Pau in TOS, T'Pring, the three Vulcan Masters of TMP, both Saaviks, T'Lar...

exodus March 31 2013 08:58 AM

Re: Tuvoks Hair... ridiculous
 
I may not be a Vulcan but I am African American and this post is not only offensive, it's down right racist.

StarTrekSlut March 31 2013 08:59 AM

Re: Tuvoks Hair... ridiculous
 
So you point out female vulcans.. comparing apples to asphalt.. thats ok.. i understand..

EVEN SO your examples are a SLIGHT deviation from the norm

.. TUVOK IS A WHOLE REIMAGINING!! There in lies the problem!

Guy Gardener March 31 2013 09:01 AM

Re: Tuvoks Hair... ridiculous
 
And what about that baseball team of Vulcan's where Nog is trying to pick out the one guy he was just chasing to tag?

You're overlooking the obvious.

Kes.

Kes already had the bowlcut.

Someone in the wardrobe/design department probably had to win a drunken thumb war to award their character design the classic bowl before the other.

Just imagine if Kes and Tuvok had the exact same wi... I mean "hair cut"?

Either she would look butch like he, or he would look like an elf like she.

StarTrekSlut March 31 2013 09:04 AM

Re: Tuvoks Hair... ridiculous
 
*sigh*... exodus my african american friend.. take a step back from your race card and look at the big picture.. Its not about you.. its about the STANDARD. Traditional star trek has had many african american actors playing vulcans.. with TRADITIONAL VULCAN TRAITS.. not "black guy trying to be vulcan" traits... See the difference?

If Tuvok was instead a "white" dude with blonde hair and blue eyes.. ID BE SAYING THE SAME THING... So chill your Al Sharpton warp driven azz-teroid down and try to look at the broader perspective? MMMk Pumpkin???

-crim

The Mirrorball Man March 31 2013 09:07 AM

Re: Tuvoks Hair... ridiculous
 
Is it important?

Therin of Andor March 31 2013 09:15 AM

Re: Tuvoks Hair... ridiculous
 
Quote:

StarTrekSlut wrote: (Post 7877215)
So you point out female vulcans.. comparing apples to asphalt.. thats ok.. i understand..

.. TUVOK IS A WHOLE REIMAGINING!! There in lies the problem!

I referenced two male Vulcan Masters, one of whom was bald and the other balding;
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_9_iMNcLAXp...an+Masters.jpg

Where is the problem in going with a look that the actor finds comfortable and suited to his appearance? I think Tuvok's style looks rather like the balding TMP Master, and the first VOY Writers' Bible actually called for a much older actor to be Tuvok.

You even criticized Tim Russ's eyebrows, and they were done in typical Vulcan style.

Quote:

EVEN SO your examples are a SLIGHT deviation from the norm
T'Pau had black hair in a bun with a white braid. Kirstie Alley had her regular eyebrows. Robin Curtis had an 80s perm. Slight deviations?

Quote:

StarTrekSlut wrote: (Post 7877230)
Traditional star trek has had many african american actors playing vulcans.

Please list some.

StarTrekSlut March 31 2013 09:24 AM

Re: Tuvoks Hair... ridiculous
 
Because its NOT about the effing ACTOR mate! They are a TOOL for a portraying a STORY. They are paid to perform and make me BELIEVE IT..

-crim

Quote:

Therin of Andor wrote: (Post 7877257)
Quote:

StarTrekSlut wrote: (Post 7877215)
So you point out female vulcans.. comparing apples to asphalt.. thats ok.. i understand..

.. TUVOK IS A WHOLE REIMAGINING!! There in lies the problem!

I referenced two male Vulcan Masters, one of whom was bald and the other balding;
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_9_iMNcLAXp...an+Masters.jpg

Where is the problem in going with a look that the actor finds comfortable and suited to his appearance? I think Tuvok's style looks rather like the balding TMP Master, and the first VOY Writers' Bible actually called for a much older actor to be Tuvok.

You even criticized Tim Russ's eyebrows, and they were done in typical Vulcan style.

Quote:

EVEN SO your examples are a SLIGHT deviation from the norm
T'Pau had black hair in a bun with a white braid. Kirstie Alley had her regular eyebrows. Robin Curtis had an 80s perm. Slight deviations?


teacake March 31 2013 09:26 AM

Re: Tuvoks Hair... ridiculous
 
Quote:

StarTrekSlut wrote: (Post 7877191)
curdled

Riker: You're curdled all right.

exodus March 31 2013 09:27 AM

Re: Tuvoks Hair... ridiculous
 
Quote:

StarTrekSlut wrote: (Post 7877230)
*sigh*... exodus my african american friend.. take a step back from your race card and look at the big picture.. Its not about you.. its about the STANDARD. Traditional star trek has had many african american actors playing vulcans.. with TRADITIONAL VULCAN TRAITS.. not "black guy trying to be vulcan" traits... See the difference?

If Tuvok was instead a "white" dude with blonde hair and blue eyes.. ID BE SAYING THE SAME THING... So chill your Al Sharpton warp driven azz-teroid down and try to look at the broader perspective? MMMk Pumpkin???

-crim

Whatever.
This one post alone has broken at least 3 major board rules, so you'll be banned by tomorrow.

Bye-bye

R. Star March 31 2013 09:28 AM

Re: Tuvoks Hair... ridiculous
 
Quote:

StarTrekSlut wrote: (Post 7877230)
*sigh*... exodus my african american friend.. take a step back from your race card and look at the big picture.. Its not about you.. its about the STANDARD. Traditional star trek has had many african american actors playing vulcans.. with TRADITIONAL VULCAN TRAITS.. not "black guy trying to be vulcan" traits... See the difference?

If Tuvok was instead a "white" dude with blonde hair and blue eyes.. ID BE SAYING THE SAME THING... So chill your Al Sharpton warp driven azz-teroid down and try to look at the broader perspective? MMMk Pumpkin???

-crim

You complain about him playing the race card... then proceed to make a racist remark? I'd give you points for irony if I thought it was intentional.

So let's say Tuvok has an afro. That means it takes extra effort to style it in the "traditional" way. Seems like an illogical use of time to me.

Even so, expecting an entire race to conform to a singular trait is absurd. So most Vulcans wear their hair like that. That doesn't mean everyone has to. What's the big deal? Beyond your apparent need for racial conformity.

StarTrekSlut March 31 2013 09:31 AM

Re: Tuvoks Hair... ridiculous
 
Please enlighten me as to which rules I broke? That wasnt my intention.. I just wanted to debate star trek with fellow commiserators

-crim

StarTrekSlut March 31 2013 09:35 AM

Re: Tuvoks Hair... ridiculous
 
Lets try a different approach. Let me ask this. Has anybody seen a bald klingon? or a klingon with Red hair? ...how about a white andorian??

If you did you'd be like WTF right?

...Same difference

-crim

Quote:

R. Star wrote: (Post 7877287)
So let's say Tuvok has an afro. That means it takes extra effort to style it in the "traditional" way. Seems like an illogical use of time to me.



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:39 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.