The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Deep Space Nine (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   "The best and most influential Trek series" (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=207790)

DS9forever March 31 2013 01:17 AM

"The best and most influential Trek series"
 
A very interesting article from Hollywood.com:

http://www.hollywood.com/news/tv/550...ce-nine?page=1

JirinPanthosa March 31 2013 02:50 AM

Re: "The best and most influential Trek series"
 
Great article, though I slightly prefer TNG.

garaks the best March 31 2013 09:12 PM

Re: "The best and most influential Trek series"
 
I agree with the article ds9 is the best trek by far IMO.

SiddFinch1 March 31 2013 09:35 PM

Re: "The best and most influential Trek series"
 
Good article
Liked ds9 a lot but hard to argue it was more influencing than Tos

Harvey March 31 2013 10:07 PM

Re: "The best and most influential Trek series"
 
Most influential? That is the original, without argument. But I won't fight over calling DS9 the best series in the franchise. In any event, it is my favorite.

BillJ April 1 2013 01:43 AM

Re: "The best and most influential Trek series"
 
Quote:

Harvey wrote: (Post 7879330)
Most influential? That is the original, without argument. But I won't fight over calling DS9 the best series in the franchise. In any event, it is my favorite.

Without a doubt.

The best series? That's going to vary by individual and is a meaningless title in the grand scheme of things.

indolover April 1 2013 08:24 PM

Re: "The best and most influential Trek series"
 
DS9 was the shit, but I prefer in honesty TNG as it was the Trek I grew up on. DS9 still has a special appeal to me though.

davejames April 2 2013 05:16 AM

Re: "The best and most influential Trek series"
 
TNG will always be a sentimental favorite, but objectively speaking I don't think there's any doubt that DS9 was the best-written show. By far.

R. Star April 2 2013 09:26 AM

Re: "The best and most influential Trek series"
 
I'll agree with DS9 being the best. But c'mon most influential? Everyone knows who Captain Kirk and Spock are, even if they're not Trek or sci-fi fans. Most people will even know who Picard and Data are... but ask them about Sisko and Dax and you'll get blank stares.

TheGodBen April 2 2013 01:12 PM

Re: "The best and most influential Trek series"
 
I love DS9 as much as a rational person can, but the article is over-egging it. TOS was the most influential Trek, and TNG was probably more influential than DS9 as well. DS9 did do some really cool serialised stories, but Babylon 5 was doing that sort of stuff at the same time and doing it better. And while the show had a bunch of amazing episodes and was usually very good, it also contains some of the worst material Star Trek ever produced. (This from a franchise where Spock once had his brain stolen by a race of bimbos in go-go boots.)

I suppose if that article convinces some new people to try DS9, and they like it, then it's all good. But if they go into the show expecting The Wire in space then they'll be disappointed. The article also spoiled some major events of the series, including the events of the best episode (in my opinion).

Basically, there are numerous angles from which I could grumble about this article, even though I agree with it in spirit. Which is my gods-given right as a Trekkie. :p

LiLiKitty April 3 2013 04:31 AM

Re: "The best and most influential Trek series"
 
How nice to see my favorite show celebrated this way. I agree that TOS is the most influential series (there wouldn't be a DS9 without it!) but DS9 is the best.

randomfan86 April 6 2013 03:17 AM

Re: "The best and most influential Trek series"
 
Definitely not the most influential. However, it is the best and the most grounded in reality. Explored some concepts that portended the 2000's in the US. Terrorism, how far you should go to win a war, etc.

Had a wide range of characters they utilized. I also like the format of the show they used. A lot of time they had the story of 2 characters in one episode. They spent about 25 minutes on the main story from one character's perspective, and then spent about 17 minutes on the other character. It kept things interesting.

flemm April 13 2013 07:47 PM

Re: "The best and most influential Trek series"
 
Quote:

LiLiKitty wrote: (Post 7891675)
How nice to see my favorite show celebrated this way.


Yeah, really what articles like this, and other recent ones like it, mean is that DS9 has staying power, both on its own merits, and on the influence it has undeniably had on the genre as a whole. The extent of that influence can be debated, but it definitely had and continues to have an impact.

TOS will always be the most influential, its influence is just taken for granted at this point.

Anyway, as you say, as a longtime Niner, nice to see this type of article being written about the show :techman:

RandyS April 13 2013 08:14 PM

Re: "The best and most influential Trek series"
 
Quote:

indolover wrote: (Post 7884277)
DS9 was the shit, but I prefer in honesty TNG as it was the Trek I grew up on. DS9 still has a special appeal to me though.

You don't like DS9, but it has a special appeal to you?

How'd you arrive at that conclusion?

BillJ April 13 2013 09:35 PM

Re: "The best and most influential Trek series"
 
Quote:

RandyS wrote: (Post 7940026)
Quote:

indolover wrote: (Post 7884277)
DS9 was the shit, but I prefer in honesty TNG as it was the Trek I grew up on. DS9 still has a special appeal to me though.

You don't like DS9, but it has a special appeal to you?

How'd you arrive at that conclusion?

"The Shit" means that it was good in his opinion.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.