The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   TV & Media (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   The Dirty Dozen (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=207760)

Death March 30 2013 07:49 PM

The Dirty Dozen

Have you seen it or not?

Star Wolf March 31 2013 01:18 AM

Re: The Dirty Dozen

Just the TV edit. I have read the sequel A Dirty Distant War.

Middle aged male, US Army veteran for your database.

BizarroStormy March 31 2013 02:34 AM

I've seen it at least a dozen times start to finish since 1981. It's in my top 25 all-time favorites and was once as high as 19th place. I have it a few spots ahead of APOCALYPSE NOW. (M.A.M. civilian speaking.) Of the actual dozen actors playing convicts, half are still with us currently.

The sequel novel is news to me. Did E.M. Nathanson also write that one? The 600-page novel, for all its depth, virtually left out the critical attack mission, saving it for the last eight pages and basically in P.S. form.....

Spot's Meow March 31 2013 03:06 AM

I'm not even sure I've heard of it before.

M'Sharak March 31 2013 03:26 AM

I remember reading the parody in the January 1968 MAD Magazine, but don't think I've ever watched the movie straight through from start to finish.

Harvey March 31 2013 03:28 AM

It's a fun movie, but I'd hardly rate it as a masterpiece. I prefer Tarantino's pastiche.

the G-man March 31 2013 04:43 AM

My dad is a World War II movie buff I grew up watching all of these types of things every Saturday and Sunday afternoon.

I Am Groot March 31 2013 05:12 AM

Seen it countless times, own it on DVD, and still watch it every time it's on TV. Classic film.

E.Bola March 31 2013 05:20 AM

Watch it every chance I get.

Miss Chicken March 31 2013 09:47 AM

Yes, a few times over the years.

John Clark March 31 2013 01:35 PM

Bloke and I've read the book and own all four of the movies on dvd. I hadn't heard of a sequel novel though.

BizarroStormy March 31 2013 03:07 PM

The DVD commentary by General-turned-actor Dale Dye is one of the better ones. He does it by himself, which is usually better than having 12 or more individuals jump in and out.

The only flaw in the whole two-and-a-half hour film is declaring Clint Walker's character dead without showing it. I'd've preferred it had he survived, especially after being bullied for five straight minutes by Lee Marvin. Yes, I realize he needed a lesson in anger management. Still, when you're pushed and pushed and then you finally snap, only to be rewarded with a slamdown in the sand and practically having your arm bent out of your socket, what truly IS the lesson learned??:cool:

INGLORIOUS BASTARDS from 2009 is generally good, but unlike many of Tarantino's films, doesn't seem to drag on first viewing. 150 minutes and not a wasted moment. So many movies are barely half as long now, yet still drag.

There have been rumors of an impending DOZEN remake, but it'd be as lost cause as remaking JAWS, ALIEN, THE EXORCIST or THE BRADY BUNCH MOVIE. It will never work.

Forbin March 31 2013 03:23 PM

Seen it many times. It's a classic.

J.T.B. March 31 2013 07:09 PM

I've seen it many times and like it. I always like watching Lee Marvin, he had a great presence.

Some have mentioned Inglorious Basterds... that was a movie I quite enjoyed till the last quarter and then ended up basically hating it.

The Haunting March 31 2013 10:46 PM

Great film, the war games bit never fails to make me smile.