The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science and Technology (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What the Internet looked like in 1995 (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=207571)

RAMA March 28 2013 07:39 PM

What the Internet looked like in 1995
 
http://mentalfloss.com/article/49676...et-looked-1995

Wow, blast from the past...though I was on the net using a friend's computer for years before this, I didn't get my own till 1995...

Some of you here are young enough not to know, which is scary...

RAMA

CorporalClegg March 28 2013 09:39 PM

Re: What the Internet looked like in 1995
 
Computer Chronicles! That was one of my favorite shows when I was a kid.

Yeah. I'm a nerd.

The hourglass picture made me laugh.

StarCruiser March 28 2013 10:59 PM

Re: What the Internet looked like in 1995
 
A trip through the way-back machine! I had forgotten that old show... Just watched about 5-6 episodes.

Hard to believe it's been off the air for over a decade now.

Kathy Kringle March 29 2013 03:40 AM

Re: What the Internet looked like in 1995
 
Wow.. I got my first computer in 1995-ish and it only had MS-DOS and really bad games.

Then I got a "real computer" in 1997 and I DID belong to newsgroups and hit up AOL chatrooms...chat with SmarterChild...oh man the memories hahahaha. Dang.

Remember Netscape? :lol:

StarCruiser March 29 2013 04:17 AM

Re: What the Internet looked like in 1995
 
You mean "Netscrape" - was good for a while and then just fell rapidly behind...

Not that IE was all that good either - or is it still not that good?! :rofl:

CorporalClegg March 29 2013 04:36 AM

Re: What the Internet looked like in 1995
 
Netscape never fell that far behind. It's only real issues had to do with compatibility/page formatting which really weren't Netscape's fault. And even in the years leading up to Mozilla (like version 5 and 6), Netscape did offer browsing features (that we now take for granted) that would take IE years to provide.

Quote:

Captain Kathryn wrote: (Post 7867738)
and hit up AOL chatrooms...

A/S/L?

Haggis and tatties March 29 2013 04:20 PM

Re: What the Internet looked like in 1995
 
Quote:

Captain Kathryn wrote: (Post 7867738)
Wow.. I got my first computer in 1995-ish and it only had MS-DOS and really bad games.

Then I got a "real computer" in 1997 and I DID belong to newsgroups and hit up AOL chatrooms...chat with SmarterChild...oh man the memories hahahaha. Dang.

Remember Netscape? :lol:

I also got my first PC way back in 1993 specifically for Star Trek The 25th Anniversary game, a Sprint 386 25 mhz, and MS-dos 4 if i remember correctly, and a manual that made war and peace look like a leaflet. lol

I have no idea the internet was about back then, i did not become internet aware until the millenium.

Solstice March 29 2013 04:25 PM

Re: What the Internet looked like in 1995
 
Quote:

CorporalClegg wrote: (Post 7867951)
Netscape never fell that far behind. It's only real issues had to do with compatibility/page formatting which really weren't Netscape's fault. And even in the years leading up to Mozilla (like version 5 and 6), Netscape did offer browsing features (that we now take for granted) that would take IE years to provide.

Quote:

Captain Kathryn wrote: (Post 7867738)
and hit up AOL chatrooms...

A/S/L?

I liked Netscape up until the Communicator series--4.x, I think. 4.5 was the worst version of it. It would crash on standards compliant pages if they used things like CSS positioning. Absolutely absurd. Number one, a browser should never crash due to HTML/JS code on the page, and it's entirely unforgivable for it to do so on a page actually adhering to standards.

I abandoned it and never looked back. I went to Firefox for a few years, later on, but then switched to Chrome and that's where I've been for some time now.

FPAlpha March 29 2013 04:41 PM

Re: What the Internet looked like in 1995
 
:lol::lol:

Always nice to have these flashbacks.. in 95 i was 20 years old though not much into computers since i didn't have one at home.

It was not until my mid 20s that i actually got one but in the meantime i used one at friends and the university computer room to get online and check stuff out. The amount of information readily available was insane (and i didn't even start to look for porn!).

I remember how Netscape for a time utterly kicked Microsofts ass, how annoying it was to have an AOL CD in nearly every magazine you bought and sometimes just there in your mailbox and what a 56k modem sounded (one of the most vile sounds ever).

I remember when i got my first 768k DSL modem and how lightning fast it seemed and that i had a 2GB volume package per month that i didn't use up.

And i also remember 90s/early 00s style websites and the worst one were the private ego pages you stumbled onto occasionally with their garish colors, embedded music and flashing background.. and people were so proud that they had pulled that off by themselves and were regarded as tech-geeks for being able to code HTML.

I loved that time!:lol:

Hound of UIster March 29 2013 05:41 PM

Re: What the Internet looked like in 1995
 
Quote:

FPAlpha wrote: (Post 7869640)
:lol::lol:

Always nice to have these flashbacks.. in 95 i was 20 years old though not much into computers since i didn't have one at home.

It was not until my mid 20s that i actually got one but in the meantime i used one at friends and the university computer room to get online and check stuff out. The amount of information readily available was insane (and i didn't even start to look for porn!).

I remember how Netscape for a time utterly kicked Microsofts ass, how annoying it was to have an AOL CD in nearly every magazine you bought and sometimes just there in your mailbox and what a 56k modem sounded (one of the most vile sounds ever).

They even had those AOL CDs in Germany? :eek:

137th Gebirg March 29 2013 06:30 PM

Re: What the Internet looked like in 1995
 
Damn...I still use Eudora on my Mac at home! :lol:

God! I hated the goofy haircuts back then...

CorporalClegg March 29 2013 08:54 PM

Re: What the Internet looked like in 1995
 
Quote:

Robert Maxwell wrote: (Post 7869583)
Quote:

CorporalClegg wrote: (Post 7867951)
Netscape never fell that far behind. It's only real issues had to do with compatibility/page formatting which really weren't Netscape's fault. And even in the years leading up to Mozilla (like version 5 and 6), Netscape did offer browsing features (that we now take for granted) that would take IE years to provide.

Quote:

Captain Kathryn wrote: (Post 7867738)
and hit up AOL chatrooms...

A/S/L?

I liked Netscape up until the Communicator series--4.x, I think. 4.5 was the worst version of it. It would crash on standards compliant pages if they used things like CSS positioning. Absolutely absurd. Number one, a browser should never crash due to HTML/JS code on the page, and it's entirely unforgivable for it to do so on a page actually adhering to standards.

I abandoned it and never looked back. I went to Firefox for a few years, later on, but then switched to Chrome and that's where I've been for some time now.

Oh, I'm fully aware of the problems it had. I was just pointing out that it did offer some nice features. And there weren't exactly a lot of options back then.

I finally abandoned Firefox myself a few months ago. I've been switching back and forth between Opera and Chrome, but I have issues with both.

And I actually upgraded to IE10 a few days ago. It's definitely the best browser Microsoft has ever released.

If I could find some decent security tools for it, I might just stick with it.

Rķu rķu, chķu March 29 2013 09:12 PM

Re: What the Internet looked like in 1995
 
I remember when I was using Netscape and I liked to download "Throbbers" for it.

(A Throbber is that little icon that goes all shifty and transformy when Netscape is actually loading a page.)

RAMA March 29 2013 10:42 PM

Re: What the Internet looked like in 1995
 
There were 3-4 computer shows on tv all about this new WWW thing that I watched regularly around that time.

RAMA

Mr. Adventure March 30 2013 12:47 AM

Re: What the Internet looked like in 1995
 
I think 95 was a big year because Win 95 made it so much easier to get on the net than before. I remember wrestling with Trumpet Winsock under Win 3.1 with a 2400 baud modem and somehow got it to work.

I still have my original Netscape 1.0 on a CD somewhere. Actually ran it, talk about *bare* bones functionality these days. The first time I saw pictures slowwwwwly come in from a web page it was pretty magical though.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.