The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   The Next Generation (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Lieutenant Commander NFNNMI Data (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=207493)

Ro_Laren March 28 2013 02:44 AM

Lieutenant Commander NFNNMI Data

I was watching a Youtube video with deleted scenes from the Season 2 episode The Child. Chief O’Brien wasn’t able to beam aboard something because it was hazardous. He didn’t have the authority to override the hazard protocols, so Data did it for him. In order to override the protocols, Data gave his authorization, starting by saying “Computer, recognize Lieutenant Commander NFNNMI Data.” (He said the letters, he didn't try to pronounce them as a word). What in the world is NFNNMI?? Is that Data’s first name? Is it the initials of his first name? Lol!! I never heard NFNNMI in any other episodes. :eek::eek::eek:

P.S. - To see this scene, start watching at 6:07.

JessDD March 28 2013 02:50 AM

Re: Lieutenant Commander NFNNMI Data

Well, its obviously code for something. I would suggest a security code like all the command officers had.

"Recognize Picard, Zero Alpha Three".

That's my best guess, anyway.

Melakon March 28 2013 02:53 AM

No First Name No Middle Initial Data.

(Some of my relatives have only a first and last name, and NMI appears on their official documents)

Mr. Laser Beam March 28 2013 02:54 AM

I wonder why they had to do that. Surely there are so many different naming conventions among Federation species that they wouldn't have to shoehorn them all into "first middle last" names.

Christopher March 28 2013 03:55 AM

Anyway, I'd think that Data would be his first name. If he had a full name, it would presumably be Data Soong, considering that Noonien Soong is regarded as his "father."

For that matter, I tend to wonder why Worf isn't called Mr. Rozhenko. I mean, he was legally adopted by the Rozhenkos, so presumably he was legally given their surname. True, people who've been adopted can choose to revert to their birth names, but it's hard to see why Worf would've wanted to. It's not like he was estranged from the Rozhenkos, and until he met Kurn he had no idea he had a birth family to reconnect with. I guess he could've decided to do it to honor his house's name, though, as the last surviving member as far as he knew. Still, it would've been nice if they'd said so. It always seemed inconsistent that someone who'd spent most of his formative years raised by humans would've turned out so stereotypically Klingon.

Melakon March 28 2013 04:04 AM

Quote:

Christopher wrote: (Post 7862161)
It always seemed inconsistent that someone who'd spent most of his formative years raised by humans would've turned out so stereotypically Klingon.

Mrs. Rozhenko: Worf, do your homework.
Little Worf: A Klingon warrior does not do homework!

Ro_Laren March 28 2013 04:26 AM

Quote:

JessDD wrote: (Post 7861816)
Well, its obviously code for something. I would suggest a security code like all the command officers had.

"Recognize Picard, Zero Alpha Three".

That's my best guess, anyway.

But, it sounds weird to say a security code between your rank and name. I can't remember hearing anyone saying that in other Trek episodes.

Quote:

Melakon wrote: (Post 7861837)
No First Name No Middle Initial Data.

(Some of my relatives have only a first and last name, and NMI appears on their official documents)

Makes sense!! :techman:

Quote:

Christopher wrote: (Post 7862161)
Anyway, I'd think that Data would be his first name. If he had a full name, it would presumably be Data Soong, considering that Noonien Soong is regarded as his "father."

To be honest, I always thought of Data's full name was "Data." Kinda like Cher or Madonna... even though that isn't really their full names, lol. ;)

The Mirrorball Man March 28 2013 05:13 AM

Networked Functional Nullification and Nocturnal Mathematics Individual Data.

Pavonis March 28 2013 06:05 AM

Cute, but it definitely stands for No First Name No Middle Initial.

The Mirrorball Man March 28 2013 06:07 AM

Quote:

Pavonis wrote: (Post 7862758)
Cute, but it definitely stands for No First Name No Middle Initial.

Oh sorry, I didn't want to spoil the fun.

gaghyogi49 March 28 2013 10:34 AM

It was never said on screen but it appeared three times in "The measure of a man". It now is legible (thanks to HD) on Data's Starfleet Academy diploma (only in the extended episode, though), in the schematics Riker views of Data and on his carry case.

"The measure of a man" observations at EAS

Aatrek March 28 2013 05:03 PM

Quote:

Ro_Laren wrote: (Post 7861783)
I was watching a Youtube video with deleted scenes from the Season 2 episode The Child. Chief O’Brien wasn’t able to beam aboard something because it was hazardous. He didn’t have the authority to override the hazard protocols, so Data did it for him. In order to override the protocols, Data gave his authorization, starting by saying “Computer, recognize Lieutenant Commander NFNNMI Data.” (He said the letters, he didn't try to pronounce them as a word). What in the world is NFNNMI?? Is that Data’s first name? Is it the initials of his first name? Lol!! I never heard NFNNMI in any other episodes. :eek::eek::eek:

P.S. - To see this scene, start watching at 6:07.

Over at TrekCore, we've got a full analysis of our video - and we go into this in great detail, along with images of it in use.

http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/03/exc...ner-the-child/

cheesepuff316 March 30 2013 05:34 PM

[QUOTE=Melakon;7861837] No First Name No Middle Initial Data. [QUOTE]

Appears the be the most logical solution...... :vulcan:

yousirname March 30 2013 05:45 PM

No Fucking Nemesis, No Motherfucking Insurrection.

Data was just looking out for the fans. :lol: If only they'd listened!

jimbotron March 30 2013 06:31 PM

:rofl:

Though I wonder, wouldn't Worf and Spock have the same designation on their records as well?

Unless Worf's middle name is "son of" and his last name is "Mogh". ;)