The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   G.I. Joe: Retaliation - Grading & Discussion (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=207385)

Shamrock Bones March 27 2013 05:12 AM

G.I. Joe: Retaliation - Grading & Discussion
 


Quote:

Framed for crimes against the country, the G.I. Joe team is terminated by the President's order, and the surviving team members face off against Zartan, his accomplices, and the world leaders he has under his influence. - MovieWeb

Admiral2 March 27 2013 05:41 PM

Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation - Grading & Discussion
 
Well, it couldn't possibly be worse than the Rise of Cobra...

...unless they decided Roadblock is gay and in love with Snake Eyes. After Duke/Baroness I wouldn't put it past them.

Gaith March 27 2013 07:39 PM

Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation - Grading & Discussion
 
Bad news - I hear the movie's being delayed 'til next year.




*ducks* :p

Admiral2 March 27 2013 07:48 PM

Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation - Grading & Discussion
 
Quote:

Gaith wrote: (Post 7859587)
Bad news - I hear the movie's being delayed 'til next year.




*ducks* :p

:lol:

cylkoth March 27 2013 08:08 PM

Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation - Grading & Discussion
 
April the 1st is next week. ;) :lol:

Gojira March 28 2013 01:05 AM

Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation - Grading & Discussion
 
Quote:

Admiral2 wrote: (Post 7858960)
Well, it couldn't possibly be worse than the Rise of Cobra...

...unless they decided Roadblock is gay and in love with Snake Eyes. After Duke/Baroness I wouldn't put it past them.

I enjoyed the first movie. Lot of fun. This one looks good to me!

od0_ital March 28 2013 09:00 AM

Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation - Grading & Discussion
 
B-

Saw it earlier tonight, in 3D.

It wasn't terrible, but wasn't really great, either. Just kinda there, and a bit better than the first one, if for no other reason than there weren't any big trainin' montages or Brendan Fraser muggin' for the cameras.

Though it seems that while the first movie established the Joes as an international organization, this one reduces it back to an American one.

And, as far as the 3D goes, the only sequence where that's effective was when Snake Eyes & Jinx took on the Cobra ninjas in the mountains. It wasn't really necessary for any other part of the movie.

Admiral2 March 28 2013 01:15 PM

Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation - Grading & Discussion
 
Quote:

od0_ital wrote: (Post 7863115)
Though it seems that while the first movie established the Joes as an international organization, this one reduces it back to an American one.

Good. That automatically makes it better than the first one.

Shamrock Bones March 28 2013 03:35 PM

Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation - Grading & Discussion
 
Saw it last night. I was one of seven people in the theatre.

The Bad

- The story was half-baked. There was a lot of jumping around between different plot threads making it seem like several movies in one and the characters were poorly developed.

The Good

- They tried to inject some new energy into this franchise and they succeeded to some degree. It really felt like a live-action G.I. Joe movie with all-american soldiers and villains in attire reminiscent of the action figures and vehicles that looked like they could be part of the toy line.

- Cobra Commander was there and they got him and his costume right. This was an issue when the first movie came out. Joseph Gordon-Levitt wasn't there, but they didn't need him since the character was wearing a helmet with a visor covering the face.

- They did away with the bad CGI we saw in the first film.

The Mixed

- Not having a number of the main characters from the first movie made this feel a bit disconnected from that first installment, but I liked seeing Dwayne Johnson and Bruce Willis head up this movie and it was good to see Jonathan Pryce return.

- There was a ninja fight sequence in the mountains that was pretty impressive. Unfortunately the execution of moments like that is what made it seem like this was several movies in one. A lot of the movie went back and forth between soldier stuff and ninja stuff in ways that made them seem unrelated.

- I was disappointed that Destro wasn't going to be part of the action, but he at least got some mention and a little screen time with a throwaway line that would explain why he wouldn't be along for the ride. Maybe he'll be back next time. He's a major character and shouldn't be left out.

The Ugly

- If including more scenes with Channing Tatum was the reason for the year-long delay, then they did all that for nothing. He was hardly there anyway and they didn't even rework the movie to let him live like I thought they were going to do. That's unless they accidentally showed the original cut of the movie. :p

The Verdict

A weak sequel that looked pretty decent as a G.I. Joe movie. C+

Looks like I actually graded this lower than the first movie, which got an "above average" from me. I'd say that a lot of that is due to the weak and scattered story, and too much of a character shake-up. As far as being true to the spirit of G.I. Joe, this one was a little better than the first.

indianatrekker26 March 28 2013 05:38 PM

Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation - Grading & Discussion
 
So they do kill Duke off, Agent?

Shamrock Bones March 28 2013 06:24 PM

Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation - Grading & Discussion
 
^ Yep.

indianatrekker26 March 28 2013 07:46 PM

Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation - Grading & Discussion
 
Quote:

Agent Richard07 wrote: (Post 7865008)
^ Yep.

Can't say that i'm a big Tatum fan, but the character of Duke is iconic for G.I. Joe. I see they really wanted to just make Rock the new star of this.

od0_ital March 28 2013 09:37 PM

Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation - Grading & Discussion
 
Quote:

Agent Richard07 wrote: (Post 7864006)
\I was disappointed that Destro wasn't going to be part of the action, but he at least got some mention and a little screen time with a throwaway line that would explain why he wouldn't be along for the ride. Maybe he'll be back next time....

You really think there's a chance he'll be back after what happens to him in this one?

Seriously?!

:confused:

Shamrock Bones March 28 2013 11:03 PM

Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation - Grading & Discussion
 
Quote:

indianatrekker26 wrote: (Post 7865353)
Can't say that i'm a big Tatum fan, but the character of Duke is iconic for G.I. Joe. I see they really wanted to just make Rock the new star of this.

I was doing a bit of reading earlier and it looks like Tatum wanted his character killed off. Here's one source.

Quote:

od0_ital wrote: (Post 7865812)
Quote:

Agent Richard07 wrote: (Post 7864006)
\I was disappointed that Destro wasn't going to be part of the action, but he at least got some mention and a little screen time with a throwaway line that would explain why he wouldn't be along for the ride. Maybe he'll be back next time....

You really think there's a chance he'll be back after what happens to him in this one?

Seriously?!

:confused:

That occurred to me after I posted. Looks like he's toast, but who knows...


Davros March 28 2013 11:45 PM

Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation - Grading & Discussion
 
They dropped the ball on the original by not having a cheesy public service announcement at the end of the movie.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.