The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek - Original Series (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Earth and Qo'nos - how did you them imagine them back then? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=207265)

King Daniel Into Darkness March 25 2013 11:36 PM

Earth and Qo'nos - how did you them imagine them back then?
 
The Best of Trek has a fascinating article by Leslie Thompson about the Klingon homeworld and culture. Published in 1974 it long pre-dates what we learned (and what was changed) about the Klingon Empire and their world in the movies and subsequent Trek series. It's a fascinating read. I wish a similar article speculating about 23rd century Earth had been published.

What do you think future-Earth would have been like if they'd visited during The Original Series? Much like the Earth of 1966-69, or something completely different? Is the version you imagine while watching TOS anything like what we saw in The Motion Picture, or Roddenberry's earlier Phase II concepts, or even what we see in the Star Trek Into Darkness trailers?

Sir Rhosis March 25 2013 11:50 PM

Re: Earth and Qo'nos - how did you them imagine them back then?
 
Honestly, considering the budget, had they visited future Earth, we might have gotten a shot of New York (or other major city), overlaid with a matte painting similar to the one used for "A Taste of Armageddon." Had we met any civilians, they'd be wearing orange or red jumpsuit, or Commissioner Ferris' duds. So, my answer would be, in keeping with the look and budget of TOS, and not resembling TMP or Phase II.

Sir Rhosis

Dantheman March 26 2013 12:12 AM

Re: Earth and Qo'nos - how did you them imagine them back then?
 
Quote:

Sir Rhosis wrote: (Post 7850683)
Honestly, considering the budget, had they visited future Earth, we might have gotten a shot of New York (or other major city), overlaid with a matte painting similar to the one used for "A Taste of Armageddon." Had we met any civilians, they'd be wearing orange or red jumpsuit, or Commissioner Ferris' duds. So, my answer would be, in keeping with the look and budget of TOS, and not resembling TMP or Phase II.

Sir Rhosis

They could've gone even cheaper and go the Irwin Allen Lost In Space route and portrayed 23rd century Earth like the 1960s, with little to no advancements in technology.

T'Girl March 26 2013 12:09 PM

Re: Earth and Qo'nos - how did you them imagine them back then?
 
Quote:

Sir Rhosis wrote: (Post 7850683)
Honestly, considering the budget, had they visited future Earth, we might have gotten a shot of New York (or other major city), overlaid with a matte painting similar to the one used for "A Taste of Armageddon."

There would have been a shot of Earth from space (without clouds naturally), cut to a image/painting of a large city (New York?) from a distance, cut to an interior scene.

We saw Human civilian wear in The Conscience Of The King, in the cocktail party scene. But that might have been considered semi-formal or evening wear.

King Daniel Into Darkness March 26 2013 02:27 PM

Re: Earth and Qo'nos - how did you them imagine them back then?
 
I suspect a matte painting of a futuristic city, with a few recognizable landmarks, then cut to the location used for Deneva in "Operation: Annihilate!"

Re-use lots of costumes on extras. And maybe have the most futuristic-looking car they can get ahold of drive by.

Redfern March 26 2013 02:55 PM

Re: Earth and Qo'nos - how did you them imagine them back then?
 
If civilian businessmen were to be depicted, a refitting of the the suits worn by Baris and Darvin from "...Tribbles" might be employed.

Sincerely,

Bill

Gojira March 26 2013 03:01 PM

Re: Earth and Qo'nos - how did you them imagine them back then?
 
How the Earth looked in the 23rd Century would have looked similar to how it was depicted in The Cage if that had shown the earth more in the original run of the series. I am very happy Into Darkness will give us some good looks at the earth of the future.

King Daniel Into Darkness March 26 2013 03:28 PM

Re: Earth and Qo'nos - how did you them imagine them back then?
 
Quote:

Gojira wrote: (Post 7853305)
How the Earth looked in the 23rd Century would have looked similar to how it was depicted in The Cage if that had shown the earth more in the original run of the series. I am very happy Into Darkness will give us some good looks at the earth of the future.

I completely forgot about the Mojave scene from The Cage!!

Here's a shot from "The Cage"

Timo March 26 2013 03:37 PM

Re: Earth and Qo'nos - how did you them imagine them back then?
 
...The implication then would seem to be that an establishing shot of New York should display a jungle, and a similar shot of Cairo should offer us a view of glaciers!

If the future is so bright that Mojave is green and urbanized, then these people probably have tech/resources to burn, and use them for fairly esoteric purposes, such as creating a ski resort next to the Great Pyramids.

Timo Saloniemi

Gojira March 26 2013 03:41 PM

Re: Earth and Qo'nos - how did you them imagine them back then?
 
Quote:

King Daniel wrote: (Post 7853380)
Quote:

Gojira wrote: (Post 7853305)
How the Earth looked in the 23rd Century would have looked similar to how it was depicted in The Cage if that had shown the earth more in the original run of the series. I am very happy Into Darkness will give us some good looks at the earth of the future.

I completely forgot about the Mojave scene from The Cage!!

Here's a shot from "The Cage"

Is that from the original or rremastered version? I think the city in the remastered version is lsightly different.

Timo March 26 2013 03:55 PM

Re: Earth and Qo'nos - how did you them imagine them back then?
 
The matte in that original pic is identical to the one we see in the remastered version (even if it may have been achieved by different means); the only real visual difference is that HD shows the seams in the fake grass on the foreground somewhat more clearly...

Timo Saloniemi

King Daniel Into Darkness March 26 2013 04:05 PM

Re: Earth and Qo'nos - how did you them imagine them back then?
 
Quote:

Gojira wrote: (Post 7853437)
Quote:

King Daniel wrote: (Post 7853380)
Quote:

Gojira wrote: (Post 7853305)
How the Earth looked in the 23rd Century would have looked similar to how it was depicted in The Cage if that had shown the earth more in the original run of the series. I am very happy Into Darkness will give us some good looks at the earth of the future.

I completely forgot about the Mojave scene from The Cage!!

Here's a shot from "The Cage"

Is that from the original or rremastered version? I think the city in the remastered version is lsightly different.

Here is the remastered version. They replaced the matte painting with a CG extension. Lots more glassland, the city much further back and made of taller, further-spaced skyscrapers.

Timo March 26 2013 04:08 PM

Re: Earth and Qo'nos - how did you them imagine them back then?
 
Wow, what's with the TrekCore index? I got the entire wrong images there in my HD search...

http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...cagehd1374.jpg

Did that prettier CG creation perhaps actually go unused in the remastering?

If not, then please completely ignore what I said earlier.

Timo Saloniemi

Gojira March 26 2013 05:18 PM

Re: Earth and Qo'nos - how did you them imagine them back then?
 
Quote:

King Daniel wrote: (Post 7853533)
Quote:

Gojira wrote: (Post 7853437)
Quote:

King Daniel wrote: (Post 7853380)
I completely forgot about the Mojave scene from The Cage!!

Here's a shot from "The Cage"

Is that from the original or rremastered version? I think the city in the remastered version is lsightly different.

Here is the remastered version. They replaced the matte painting with a CG extension. Lots more glassland, the city much further back and made of taller, further-spaced skyscrapers.

I like both, but I have to say I like the remastered better. The perspective of disatance make more logical sense.

In the distance in the remastered version some of the buildings look like what we have seen from Into Darkness. Very similar styles.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...psf20f22ed.jpg

Redfern March 26 2013 08:44 PM

Re: Earth and Qo'nos - how did you them imagine them back then?
 
The original backdrop painting in "The Cage" gives me the impression there is some kind of "drop" beyond the immediate grassy region and the city rises from some valley or canyon region beyond. Plus, there is a light source radiating within that "canyon" that is bright enough to make the underside of the structures look lighter than their upper surfaces.

Sincerely,

Bill


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.