The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Next Microsoft OS "Windows Blue" leaked online (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=207256)

Candlelight March 25 2013 10:08 PM

Next Microsoft OS "Windows Blue" leaked online

Expect more Windows 8-isms.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/20319...leaked-os.html

Santa Claus March 25 2013 10:52 PM

Re: Next Microsoft OS "Windows Blue" leaked online

Well, if that's the future of Windows, I'll just stick to Windows 7 until it loses support, and then switch permanently to a Linux distro, likely Ubuntu or Mint. Windows 8 is a step back for desktop users. Windows Blue/9 seems to be half a step forward, but it's still half a step back.

Solstice March 25 2013 10:53 PM

Microsoft: taking their best OS ever, and abandoning it for a completely shit business strategy.

Windows 7, cold dead hands, yada yada.

Pingfah March 25 2013 10:57 PM

That is a terrible name. That just makes me think of blue screen of death. A whole operating system based around the BSOD.

JoeZhang March 25 2013 11:00 PM

Quote:

Pingfah wrote: (Post 7850440)
That is a terrible awful name. That just makes me think of blue screen of death. A whole operating system based around the BSOD.

It is a service pack* not 'the next version of the OS' - nothing will ever be released called Windows Blue because that is simply an internal name for the release. That PC world article is a mishmash of half-truths and misunderstandings.

* although Microsoft are doing away with the service pack terminology.

Santa Claus March 25 2013 11:03 PM

Quote:

Robert Maxwell wrote: (Post 7850413)
Microsoft: taking their best OS ever, and abandoning it for a completely shit business strategy.

Windows 7, cold dead hands, yada yada.

MS Exec:"Sweet Zombie Jesus! Windows 7 is the best selling OS since Windows XP!"
MS Project Leader: "Ooh, yeah, I know. Sorry about that. Don't worry, we'll fuck it up real good next time."

- Two years later -

MS Exec: "Incredible! Windows 8 is barely selling, and many users are angry because they still use desktops as their primary PC."
MS Project Leader: "You think that's great? We're adding more features that are useless to desktop PCs! This next OS will probably sell even less than Windows 8!"
MS Exec: "I love it! Son, you're going to go far!"

Quote:

That is a terrible name. That just makes me think of blue screen of death. A whole operating system based around the BSOD.

It makes me think of Pepsi Blue.

NCC-1701-B March 25 2013 11:39 PM

Win7 for ever. And ever.

Rķu rķu, chķu March 25 2013 11:54 PM

Quote:

J. Allen wrote: (Post 7850407)
Windows Blue/9 seems to be half a step forward, but it's still half a step back.

So it's a hop?

Candlelight March 26 2013 01:26 AM

Quote:

JoeZhang wrote: (Post 7850458)
Quote:

That is a terrible awful name. That just makes me think of blue screen of death. A whole operating system based around the BSOD.

It is a service pack* not 'the next version of the OS

There's a lot of discussion about this, most concluding this actually is a full OS.

I keep popping in and out of Beta Archive:

http://www.betaarchive.com/forum/vie...p?f=18&t=27716

CorporalClegg March 26 2013 03:16 AM

I've used Win8 for about five minutes total, so I'm hardly an expert. But this definitely seems like another step in the wrong direction.

I think we should all just roll back to abaci and be done with it.

Alidar Jarok March 26 2013 03:21 AM

I feel like I should buy a new laptop while I can still get Windows 7

TorontoTrekker March 26 2013 05:53 AM

Quote:

Alidar Jarok wrote: (Post 7851577)

Good luck. I bought a new laptop at Best Buy in November, and it came with Windows 8.

Unless you're talking about removing Win8 and installing Win7 in its place... in which case, have at it. :)

Santa Claus March 26 2013 05:59 AM

Quote:

TorontoTrekker wrote: (Post 7852210)
Quote:

Alidar Jarok wrote: (Post 7851577)

Good luck. I bought a new laptop at Best Buy in November, and it came with Windows 8.

Unless you're talking about removing Win8 and installing Win7 in its place... in which case, have at it. :)

Yep. Good luck, though. Without Windows 8 Pro, you won't have downgrade rights, which means you'll be on your own. That and a lot of laptop manufacturers are making deals with Windows on 8, where the hardware is certified for 8 but not for 7, as they look down on downgrading, so no one is guaranteeing it won't create a giant clusterfuck when you try.

I've done a couple of downgrades, and they're not too difficult, but they can be a pain in the ass if the drivers refuse to work on Windows 7. Then you have to go searching for compatible drivers, which can be time consuming. Still, it's better than Windows 8. I've set up a few new laptops running Windows 8, and I'd rather gnaw my own arm off than deal with that again.

Alidar Jarok March 26 2013 06:18 AM

There are some BestBuy laptops that are still Win7. I'll have to check how good they are, though.

Yoda March 26 2013 06:36 AM

I don't like the Modern UI crap in Windows 8 either, but desktop mode is pretty much everything Win 7 was but a little faster and better.