The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Future of Trek (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   10 Things a New Trek Series Must Have (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=207253)

bullethead March 25 2013 09:19 PM

10 Things a New Trek Series Must Have
 
A WhatCulture article about the thread title:
http://whatculture.com/tv/star-trek-...-must-have.php

(Full disclosure: I wrote this article and posted the link here in hopes of getting critiques on it).

Gojira March 26 2013 03:56 PM

Re: 10 Things a New Trek Series Must Have
 
Wow, very well written. I agree with what you have said. One of the things that you said that stood out for me was the notion of Serialization. Everything with a science-fiction theme has gone the serialization route. Even non sci-fi has gone that way. I would like to see me continuity in the form of Serialization in a new Trek show.

Well done!

BillJ March 26 2013 05:41 PM

Re: 10 Things a New Trek Series Must Have
 
All of them seem like no-brainers except for serialization. If they go the serialization route, I want them to do it because they have a great story not simply because everyone else is doing it. Great stories can be told just as easily in an episodic format.

HarryM March 26 2013 06:49 PM

Re: 10 Things a New Trek Series Must Have
 
I think you'd be looking at gradually ramping up the serialization over time, whereas the first couple of seasons would be mostly stand-alone with some nods at the overall developing series arc. That way you don't immediately lock out new viewers by jumping into full on serialization. There's a lot of shows I would have liked to watch but I didn't hear about them until well under way and I didn't feel like catching up on the story, so no viewership from me. "24" and "Lost" are two of these, pretty well liked by most but I've never scene a single episode. Same with "Walking Dead".

I'd also say artistic freedom for the writers would also be high, no "A+B story" type rubbish rules, or "Must be on a ship with a [Insert Race/Gender] Captain". You are bound by what is known about the Star Trek universe, but apart from that, it's all fair game. If it's a post DS9 series, maybe we'll destroy the Federation, or have Earth occupied by the Romulans, or something like that. Humanity might be a remnant like Guinan's people, but in the end will endure. Think big. Maybe a sleeper ship sent to the Andromeda galaxy, waking up after 300 years in intergalactic space, only to find that...

The Mirrorball Man March 26 2013 06:59 PM

Re: 10 Things a New Trek Series Must Have
 
Well yeah, in order to succeed, a new Star Trek series needs to be good.

Tracer Bullet March 26 2013 07:59 PM

Re: 10 Things a New Trek Series Must Have
 
Quote:

BillJ wrote: (Post 7853902)
All of them seem like no-brainers except for serialization. If they go the serialization route, I want them to do it because they have a great story not simply because everyone else is doing it. Great stories can be told just as easily in an episodic format.

Any new Trek series is going to be serialized to some degree. It's just how you make dramatic television nowadays. The question is how much serialization. I'd like to see any new Trek series be less like Breaking Bad and more like Mad Men in that regard.

I'd also argue that any new Trek series should stay as far away from broadcast network television as possible. 22 episodes at $2 million dollars per episode, with the audience that network television attracts now, is a recipe for cancellation.

The Mirrorball Man March 26 2013 08:04 PM

Re: 10 Things a New Trek Series Must Have
 
Quote:

Tracer Bullet wrote: (Post 7854577)
I'd also argue that any new Trek series should stay as far away from broadcast network television as possible. 22 episodes at $2 million dollars per episode, with the audience that network television attracts now, is a recipe for cancellation.

Don't make 22 of them, then.

Tracer Bullet March 26 2013 08:05 PM

Re: 10 Things a New Trek Series Must Have
 
Quote:

The Mirrorball Man wrote: (Post 7854610)
Quote:

Tracer Bullet wrote: (Post 7854577)
I'd also argue that any new Trek series should stay as far away from broadcast network television as possible. 22 episodes at $2 million dollars per episode, with the audience that network television attracts now, is a recipe for cancellation.

Don't make 22 of them, then.

Networks will want 22 episodes. Any new Trek series should be on cable television.

The Mirrorball Man March 26 2013 08:14 PM

Re: 10 Things a New Trek Series Must Have
 
Quote:

Tracer Bullet wrote: (Post 7854625)
Networks will want 22 episodes.

Yeah. Networks should adapt or die.

Tracer Bullet March 26 2013 08:19 PM

Re: 10 Things a New Trek Series Must Have
 
Quote:

The Mirrorball Man wrote: (Post 7854679)
Quote:

Tracer Bullet wrote: (Post 7854625)
Networks will want 22 episodes.

Yeah. Networks should adapt or die.

I don't disagree, but we're talking about what will actually happen here.

The Mirrorball Man March 26 2013 08:22 PM

Re: 10 Things a New Trek Series Must Have
 
Quote:

Tracer Bullet wrote: (Post 7854706)
Quote:

The Mirrorball Man wrote: (Post 7854679)
Quote:

Tracer Bullet wrote: (Post 7854625)
Networks will want 22 episodes.

Yeah. Networks should adapt or die.

I don't disagree, but we're talking about what will actually happen here.

Oh. Alright. Networks will have to adapt or die.

bullethead March 27 2013 01:02 AM

Re: 10 Things a New Trek Series Must Have
 
Cable channels seem to be okay with 20 episodes, but even then $2 million per episode is a lot. And sadly, it doesn't seem like greenscreen is capable of making speculative fiction any cheaper, if BSG: Blood and Chrome is any indication. It's good for stuff in mechanical settings, but once you get out into natural settings, it starts falling apart.

Then there's the whole VFX industry situation...

BillJ March 27 2013 01:26 AM

Re: 10 Things a New Trek Series Must Have
 
Probably looking at $5 million an episode easily.

LtChange March 27 2013 08:26 AM

Re: 10 Things a New Trek Series Must Have
 
Battlestar Galactica Blood and Chrome had a budget of 2 million. And that was considered a pilot. Once all virtual models are done the budget per episode should have been lower, as these virtual set could be reused from different virtual camera angles and so on so I think it is safe to talk about lower budgets per episode like .5-1 million range, with some exceptions like highlight episodes and season finales, and could be lower than .5 millions for bottle episodes.

Sindatur March 27 2013 03:05 PM

Re: 10 Things a New Trek Series Must Have
 
Quote:

LtChange wrote: (Post 7857667)
Battlestar Galactica Blood and Chrome had a budget of 2 million. And that was considered a pilot. Once all virtual models are done the budget per episode should have been lower, as these virtual set could be reused from different virtual camera angles and so on so I think it is safe to talk about lower budgets per episode like .5-1 million range, with some exceptions like highlight episodes and season finales, and could be lower than .5 millions for bottle episodes.

Blood and Chrome was given a $2M budget initially, but, I'm pretty sure it actually cost in the neighborhood of $6M, because of overruns. But, many Pilots cost considerably more. I thnk Terra Nova was over $10M, as was LOST (In fact wasn't it over $20M?)


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.