The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek - Original Series (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Exeter Patch (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=207055)

CrazyMatt March 23 2013 11:54 PM

Exeter Patch
 
Again, through the wonders of Trek Core and the Star Trek Prop Authority, the patch of the USS Exeter... in this case, the Sciences patch worn by Ed McCready in his role as Cdr (Dr.) Carter, the ship's Chief Medical Officer:

http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/4551/drcarter.png

http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/5...rterspatch.png

ZapBrannigan March 24 2013 09:13 AM

Re: Exeter Patch
 
Interesting to see it up close, even though some things were truly never meant for HD.

Metryq March 24 2013 11:52 AM

Re: Exeter Patch
 
Quote:

ZapBrannigan wrote: (Post 7843348)
Interesting to see it up close, even though some things were truly never meant for HD.

The modelers for Pixar's THE INCREDIBLES made a "universal man" for all the secondary characters, which would be tweaked and pulled to make them "different." They were never intended to be seen up close... Then the animators put Bernie's face right into the camera.


I never understood why Starfleet would have different badges for each ship. Was this idea derived from the different mission patches NASA used?

King Daniel Into Darkness March 24 2013 12:52 PM

Re: Exeter Patch
 
Is it the lighting, or is he is a grey uniform shirt?

feek61 March 24 2013 01:33 PM

Re: Exeter Patch
 
Lighting; the shirt was blue.

mos6507 March 24 2013 01:51 PM

Re: Exeter Patch
 
It's cool. It's like something you might get at a hippie smoke-shop or a renaissance fair.

Shawnster March 24 2013 03:15 PM

Re: Exeter Patch
 
Quote:

Metryq wrote: (Post 7843630)
I never understood why Starfleet would have different badges for each ship. Was this idea derived from the different mission patches NASA used?

You may enjoy reading these topisc:
Starfleet Command Insignia
and
Divisions, Insignia, Uniforms and Assignment Patches.

The different badges and origins were thoroughly discussed.

GSchnitzer March 24 2013 03:39 PM

Re: Exeter Patch
 
Quote:

King Daniel wrote: (Post 7843723)
Is it the lighting, or is he is a grey uniform shirt?

It's a regular repurposed Nimoy command braid sciences blue velour costume. This image is an artifically magnified image of an image that the boarding party was watching on the bridge Main Viewing Sreen of Exeter's ship surgeon Dr. Carter on a bridge set that is lit more darkly and bluely (is bluely a word?) than when the brige set is normally lit as the Enterprise. But it's a regular sciences shirt--just a bit washed out with the lighting, as feek61 suggests.

Gojira March 24 2013 05:57 PM

Re: Exeter Patch
 
I am glad that Trek abandoned the different badges for other ships. I never did care for it. I am glad that the symbol for the Enterprise was used for all of Starfleet.

It is cool though to see this one close up!

King Daniel Into Darkness March 24 2013 11:10 PM

Re: Exeter Patch
 
Quote:

feek61 wrote: (Post 7843783)
Lighting; the shirt was blue.

Quote:

GSchnitzer wrote: (Post 7844011)
It's a regular repurposed Nimoy command braid sciences blue velour costume. This image is an artifically magnified image of an image that the boarding party was watching on the bridge Main Viewing Sreen of Exeter's ship surgeon Dr. Carter on a bridge set that is lit more darkly and bluely (is bluely a word?) than when the brige set is normally lit as the Enterprise. But it's a regular sciences shirt--just a bit washed out with the lighting, as feek61 suggests.

Understood, thanks.

ZapBrannigan March 25 2013 01:13 AM

Re: Exeter Patch
 
Quote:

Metryq wrote: (Post 7843630)
I never understood why Starfleet would have different badges for each ship. Was this idea derived from the different mission patches NASA used?

I think it was a staging trick, a small-screen signal to the audience that a character was in Starfleet but not an Enterprise crewman. It helped delineate the us-versus-them drama with Commodores Stone, Decker, and Stocker, and Captain Tracy. "This guy is with us but not of us."

The distressed shirt color on Exeter's doctor helped symbolize the drama of a whole crew slowly dying.

Bernie looks just like one of our managers here at work. :)

feek61 March 25 2013 03:37 AM

Re: Exeter Patch
 
Quote:

Gojira wrote: (Post 7844347)
I am glad that Trek abandoned the different badges for other ships. I never did care for it. I am glad that the symbol for the Enterprise was used for all of Starfleet.

It is cool though to see this one close up!

My understanding is that the different patches represented different divisions or sectors within Starfleet. That's why we see the delta shield at the starbase in "Court Martial" because that base was in the same division as the Enterprise operated within. The other Starships operated in different divisions of Starfleet; hence the different patches. Ultimately the delta shield was adopted for the entire starfleet after the Enterprise was the only starship to survive the 5 year mission in tact. Don't know how accepted that is but it is my understanding.

CrazyMatt March 25 2013 03:50 AM

Re: Exeter Patch
 
Quote:

Gojira wrote: (Post 7844347)
I am glad that Trek abandoned the different badges for other ships. I never did care for it. I am glad that the symbol for the Enterprise was used for all of Starfleet.

At least as far as TOS goes, I must disagree. The patches for both the Constellation and Exeter are both interesting and visually striking... in fact, both are more interesting than the delta... and they represent the concept that each of the 12 starships was indeed something special, worthy of it's own symbol. If only Bob Justman hadn't ruined that thought for me....:(

scotpens March 25 2013 04:07 AM

Re: Exeter Patch
 
Quote:

feek61 wrote: (Post 7846816)
Ultimately the delta shield was adopted for the entire starfleet after the Enterprise was the only starship to survive the 5 year mission intact. Don't know how accepted that is but it is my understanding.

It's a fanwank. Make of it what you will.

Nerys Myk March 25 2013 04:21 AM

Re: Exeter Patch
 
Quote:

scotpens wrote: (Post 7846975)
Quote:

feek61 wrote: (Post 7846816)
Ultimately the delta shield was adopted for the entire starfleet after the Enterprise was the only starship to survive the 5 year mission intact. Don't know how accepted that is but it is my understanding.

It's a fanwank. Make of it what you will.

A previous discussion revealed that the original intent was for everyone to use the delta, but somehow wires got crossed and someone approved different patches for different ships. I think TNG returned to the original idea.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.