The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   TV & Media (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Ever like a show but... (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=206818)

BruntFCA March 21 2013 11:03 PM

Ever like a show but...

hate the main character?

I've been watching episodes of Fraiser lately and realised that I really hate Fraiser Crane (as much as one can hate a TV character) but despite that I still really like the show because of all the other great characters.

Admiral2 March 21 2013 11:18 PM

Re: Ever like a show but...

Buffy The Vampire Slayer. I could take everybody except "Whiny CryBuffy."

Shurik March 21 2013 11:19 PM

Quote:

Admiral2 wrote: (Post 7831693)
Buffy The Vampire Slayer. I could take everybody except "Whiny CryBuffy."

Same here.

Sheep March 21 2013 11:21 PM

I'm piling on the Buffy train too.

I'll also add Bones (though that entire show has been appallingly bad the past 2 or 3 seasons anyway).

Enterprise is Great March 22 2013 12:31 AM

No, not on a long term basis. If I hate the main character I just can't watch it since as the main character they get the most storylines/screen time. That would just be too irritating for me to sit through every week.

Ethros March 22 2013 01:02 AM

Not a tv show* but while I like the movie, I'd really love to see Ferris Bueller get his comeuppance, preferably by being punched in the face.

*I know there was a lame TV version of it, but you know what I mean

Gaith March 22 2013 01:23 AM

Quote:

Enterprise is Great wrote: (Post 7832119)
No, not on a long term basis. If I hate the main character I just can't watch it since as the main character they get the most storylines/screen time. That would just be too irritating for me to sit through every week.

Aye, life's too short for that, and I've steered clear of Buffy for just that reason.

Closest example I can think of is I found Mandy Hampton extremely annoying in season one of The West Wing... but that annoyance, happily, was short-lived. :p

Alidar Jarok March 22 2013 01:57 AM

It's not that odd if it's an ensemble show. I know lots of people who hate Jack in Lost, for example. My brother just mentioned Ted Mosby from How I Met Your Mother as another example.

Pondwater March 22 2013 02:35 AM

I didn't like Bill from Big Love.

Takeru March 22 2013 08:04 AM

I like Gilmore Girls but can't stand Lorelai and Rory.

Rush Limborg March 22 2013 09:25 AM

When I've seen it, I've been pretty much okay with Law & Order: Criminal Intent. Doesn't change the fact that I consider the main cop character to be a jerk who goes out of his way to push his limits. I mean--what's his shtick? Walking into a house, and moving things around while talking with the occupants? Isn't that kind of "illegal search and seizure"?

For the record--I really like and admire Dr. Frasier Crane. I recently took a Cheers personality quiz, and scored as him. ;)

The Mirrorball Man March 22 2013 09:43 AM

I don't know, I hated every single character in Oz, but that was the point, wasn't it? And it's not as if people watched House because they liked House, right?

Gov Kodos March 22 2013 09:45 AM

Xena, I could never cotton to Gabrielle, aka Annoying Girl.

Australis March 22 2013 10:53 AM

Lily, on HIMYM, ruins the show for me. Made more so by the fact she's based on a real person.

cardinal biggles March 22 2013 10:59 AM

Another vote for Bones here. Brennan's socially awkward, pop culturally retarded schtick was interesting the first few seasons, but it's worn thin over time. Fortunately the other characters are more interesting.