The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Movies I-X (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   STTMP vignette from the 1970s (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=206653)

RAMA March 20 2013 03:30 PM

STTMP featurette from the 1970s

Has anyone seen this on youtube? It looks to be pre-release because there are scenes from the memory wall in it and they show Persis getting her hair buzzed as well as pre-Trumball Klingon models. It also includes some "inside" Trekkie info so I assume someone with knowledge assisted with the narration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ABPntxwfPk

RAMA

Chrisisall March 20 2013 06:41 PM

Re: STTMP vignette from the 1970s

I saw this back in the Seventies on TV... wow, memories!

Galileo7 March 20 2013 08:07 PM

Good to see these. Never saw them back in 1979 when TMP was released.

Tiberius March 21 2013 01:21 AM

Wow, Persis was so beautiful!

Therin of Andor March 21 2013 01:53 AM

Re: STTMP featurette from the 1970s

Quote:

RAMA wrote: (Post 7824454)
It looks to be pre-release...

Yep, "The Making of..." short was discussed in Susan Sackett's book of the same name. It was also shown at many ST conventions back in the day. We asked Bjo Trimble to borrow it from Gene Roddenberry and bring it to Sydney, Australia, in 1984 - and she did!

SeerSGB March 21 2013 02:01 AM

Quote:

Tiberius wrote: (Post 7827034)

Yes she was. Felt so sorry for her watching her get her head shaved.

Maab March 21 2013 08:38 AM

Quote:

Has anyone seen this on youtube?

I did when it first came out on youtube 2/3 years ago, and it's absolutely a goldmine.

(I also included few screengrabs in my Memory Wall Pictures Collection page, sorry for the self promotion :))

Aside the touching moments with Persis, among the other nice things you get to see is that they initially tired to blow up Klingon ships in the traditional way, intead of the "digitalization" which was finally done (for the better I'd say). Also there is a glimpse of the original matte painting for Vulcan, where it's daylight and not night as in the theatrical version (in contrast with Spock covering his eyes from the sun).

The real question is: does anyone know where to find a better version? This is probably a 35mm film put on a VHS and acquired in low resolution. It sure can be better than this.

Maab

Tiberius March 21 2013 11:56 AM

Quote:

SeerSGB wrote: (Post 7827328)
Quote:

Tiberius wrote: (Post 7827034)

Yes she was. Felt so sorry for her watching her get her head shaved.

I just wanted to give her a big hug.

F. King Daniel March 21 2013 02:33 PM

What's up with that TAS-style planet Vulcan matte painting? How come we didn't see it in the final movie?

Poor Persis crying as she gets her head shaved:(

Very cool to see this, a great find!

Boo! Did I Scare Ya? March 21 2013 07:31 PM

What a magnificent trek down memory lane. Thank you.

Creepy Critter March 21 2013 07:39 PM

I hadn't seen this before. Great featurette.

trevanian March 22 2013 03:37 AM

Quote:

King Daniel wrote: (Post 7829191)
What's up with that TAS-style planet Vulcan matte painting? How come we didn't see it in the final movie?

That's the Matt Yuricich Vulcan, the one that SHOULD have been in the film. (STARLOG published a shot of him working on this with the approved smaller concept version of the shot next to him.)

According to a knowledgeable TMP guy and ex-poster here, the shot was pulled from EEG (Trumbull's group) and farmed out to be done elsewhere (Anderson? whoever it was they went uncredited), hence the total bullshit version in the release print.

I think this is another one you can blame on Katzenberg since he was responsible for looking after the post side on TMP, and probably deserves more blame than anybody for letting things get so out of hand before they were able to get Trumbull and Dykstra in to save their bacon.

RAMA March 22 2013 04:09 AM

Quote:

Maab wrote: (Post 7828372)
Quote:

Has anyone seen this on youtube?

I did when it first came out on youtube 2/3 years ago, and it's absolutely a goldmine.

(I also included few screengrabs in my Memory Wall Pictures Collection page, sorry for the self promotion :))

Aside the touching moments with Persis, among the other nice things you get to see is that they initially tired to blow up Klingon ships in the traditional way, intead of the "digitalization" which was finally done (for the better I'd say). Also there is a glimpse of the original matte painting for Vulcan, where it's daylight and not night as in the theatrical version (in contrast with Spock covering his eyes from the sun).

The real question is: does anyone know where to find a better version? This is probably a 35mm film put on a VHS and acquired in low resolution. It sure can be better than this.

Maab

Yup, forgot to mention the matte painting in daytime which made it to the DE years later. The also made a good choice not using the explosions...the digitizing works so much better in the movie!!

BTW I saw the featurette days ago then lost it on youtube, it's not an EASY find to make.

Maab March 22 2013 09:52 AM

Quote:

trevanian wrote: (Post 7832947)
That's the Matt Yuricich Vulcan, the one that SHOULD have been in the film. (STARLOG published a shot of him working on this with the approved smaller concept version of the shot next to him.)

Here it is.

http://www.marcellorossi.info/Vulcan2%28low%29.jpg

And here is a composite (maybe a test):

http://www.marcellorossi.info/Vulcan1.jpg

Quote:

RAMA wrote: (Post 7833037)
BTW I saw the featurette days ago then lost it on youtube, it's not an EASY find to make.

This is why it is safely stored on my Trek Hard Disk since I first saw it! :)

Maab

F. King Daniel March 22 2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

trevanian wrote: (Post 7832947)
Quote:

King Daniel wrote: (Post 7829191)

According to a knowledgeable TMP guy and ex-poster here, the shot was pulled from EEG (Trumbull's group) and farmed out to be done elsewhere (Anderson? whoever it was they went uncredited), hence the total bullshit version in the release print.

I think this is another one you can blame on Katzenberg since he was responsible for looking after the post side on TMP, and probably deserves more blame than anybody for letting things get so out of hand before they were able to get Trumbull and Dykstra in to save their bacon.

Thanks for the info, and thanks to Maab for the pics!:)