The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Fan Productions (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Competition: write an episode of Star Trek Continues (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=206638)

Mirror Sulu March 20 2013 10:30 AM

Competition: write an episode of Star Trek Continues

The crew of 'Star Trek Continues' are looking for script writers for future productions. There are six days left for entry. A great opportunity for Trek fans to have their work seen.

http://www.startrekcontinues.com/201.../#.UUmN6sWe0s4

Avon March 20 2013 12:10 PM

Re: Competition: write an episode of Star Trek Continues

no matter how good the script, words just sound insincere coming from vic mignogna's mouth.

boobatuba March 22 2013 05:06 AM

I'd be a bit concerned about the legalities of winning money for producing a piece of work that infringes someone's copyright.

GSchnitzer March 22 2013 09:19 AM

Quote:

boobatuba wrote: (Post 7833376)
I'd be a bit concerned about the legalities of winning money for producing a piece of work that infringes someone's copyright.

And I wonder if the prize winnings are in addition to WGA minimums, or in lieu of them. ;)

JimTheBuilder March 23 2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

GSchnitzer wrote: (Post 7833736)
Quote:

boobatuba wrote: (Post 7833376)

And I wonder if the prize winnings are in addition to WGA minimums, or in lieu of them. ;)

:bolian::guffaw::lol::guffaw:

I have a former aquaintance who's just an awful writer...think I'll point them in Vic's direction...two peas in a pod...

feek61 March 23 2013 07:31 PM

^^
Really classy guys.

captainkirk March 24 2013 08:02 AM

I wish I'd found out about this sooner than Friday. I have an idea for a story that I feel has potential but I don't think I can develop it in time. Does anyone know if they're going to be doing this again in the future?

Ryan Thomas Riddle March 24 2013 05:04 PM

This seemed to go under the rader. They didn't seem to really get the word out on this — wasn't on their FB page or Twitter that I can tell. But maybe I'm missing something. And I don't really keep track of news on their website. However, the apparent lack of publicizing the contest creates the perception that they weren't really interested in getting submissions. But that's just my take on it, YMMV.

Maurice March 24 2013 08:01 PM

Wow, people are really starting to poke around the edges of what's legal here. I just had a conversation with our entertainment law attorney at work the other day (he cleared all the Namco characters for Wreck-It Ralph, so he knows what he's taking about) and he explained to me the legal realities of some of the stuff that fans do thinking it's okay but which would mean lawsuit if Paramount ever got the slightest itch to do so. He said typically the only reason most companies don't crack down on these things more often is because they fear bad publicity more than such an infringement.

DestinyCaptain March 26 2013 03:30 AM

Boy, Serling really had an axe to grind with TOS...Is this from that grainy 1970 interview over at YouTube?

Ryan Thomas Riddle March 26 2013 04:27 AM

Quote:

DestinyCaptain wrote: (Post 7851895)
Boy, Serling really had an axe to grind with TOS...Is this from that grainy 1970 interview over at YouTube?

I don't think Serling had an axe to grind at all. He was merely giving his opinion on STAR TREK, expressing frustration with a series that had so much potential, that could sparkle, as he said, but often fell short. An opinion also expressed by Harlan Ellison as well, who had an actual axe to grind over his own episode.

And while STAR TREK is my first science-fiction love, I don't see it with a haze. It has its faults and cracks. Honestly, THE TWILIGHT ZONE was more consistent in quality than TOS. So was THE OUTER LIMITS.

Maurice March 26 2013 05:24 AM

Serling had no ax to grind. What he says is pretty much dead-on accurate which is why I quoted him. And it's from a video interview, yes.

BillJ March 30 2013 11:57 AM

Quote:

I see it as an honest assessment of TOS. At times it shined at times, other times... not so much.

USS Intrepid March 30 2013 03:15 PM

Quote:

BillJ wrote: (Post 7873504)
Quote:

I see it as an honest assessment of TOS. At times it shined at times, other times... not so much.

Agreed, seems a pretty spot on assessment to me.

Mysterion March 30 2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

USS Intrepid wrote: (Post 7874023)
Quote:

BillJ wrote: (Post 7873504)
Quote:

Agreed, seems a pretty spot on assessment to me.

I also agree. And if I had to pick between Roddenberry and Serling as to who knew more about what makes good television - I'd go with Serling every time.