The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Deep Space Nine (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Brannon Braga on DS9 (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=206584)

FrontierTrek March 19 2013 06:44 PM

Brannon Braga on DS9

Hey folks, I interviewed Brannon Braga for TrekCore and asked him to comment on Deep Space Nine. We discuss DS9 towards the end of the first part of the interview, or from about 9:00 on the video.

Brannon commented how he thought DS9 benefited from "being third" and that they had to do something like serialized storytelling to set themselves apart.

He mentioned the episode "The Visitor" is considered a classic but for some reason doesn't get spoken of in the same breath as TNG's classics.

Enjoy!

Link: http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/03/exc...erview-part-i/

DeepSpaceWine March 20 2013 11:21 AM

Re: Brannon Braga on DS9

Heh. DS9 wasn't "third" in the ratings...

(I enjoy both DS9 & Voyager. Who says anyone has to like only one of them?)

Lance March 20 2013 11:32 AM

What I want to know from Braga is: was Sisko ever supposed to be Future Guy? ;)

Danger Ace March 20 2013 10:40 PM

Quote:

FrontierTrek wrote: (Post 7820884)
Hey folks, I interviewed Brannon Braga for TrekCore and asked him to comment on Deep Space Nine.

My honest opinion: Brannon Braga [along with Rick Berman] ran the Star trek franchise into the ground through laziness, lack of vision and disdain for the franchises' fandom. I wouldn't take his "word" on anything and his opinions are without value. He is simply a scumbag who knows how to play the system.

DalekJim March 20 2013 11:47 PM

He was an unambitious, formulaic writer but scumbag seems kinda over the top.

DS9forever March 21 2013 12:40 AM

I remember Braga saying he thought DS9's "Babel" was one of the worst TV episodes he had ever seen. I guess he doomed himself with that comment. "Babel" wasn't a good episode but it was only the fifth DS9 episode filmed, Braga later wrote such stinkers as "Sub Rosa", "Phantasms" and "Threshold".

GameOn March 21 2013 12:42 AM

Quote:

Danger Ace wrote: (Post 7826335)
My honest opinion: Brannon Braga [along with Rick Berman] ran the Star trek franchise into the ground through laziness, lack of vision and disdain for the franchises' fandom.

This is pretty much how I feel. I actually liked some of Braga's earlier TNG episodes but back then we was working under other people who could rein him in or pair him with another writer. Voyager's main redeeming quality was that it kept Berman and Braga occupied while the people who knew what they were doing made DS9.

Blip March 21 2013 12:53 AM

^ which in itself is a shame, as Voyager IMHO had real potential to become something special... Sometimes I think I'd like to have seen VOY if it'd had DS9's team running the show, instead of Jeri Taylor and the Dreaded B&B.

SchwEnt March 21 2013 01:06 AM

I saw the interview. It's worth watching.

You can believe what he says or not. But I agree with some of his statements... they should have held off on VOY, let DS9 run on its own. I guess the suits wanted VOY so they could launch UPN.

And some of the other stuff, having ENT wait for a season on Earth leading up to the starship launch.

Those ideas would have helped, but TPTB have the money and call the shots, I suppose.

I still think, for all its problems, VOY would have been better off if they tried to do something different.

DS9 changed up just about every single thing in a ST series that had come before. VOY could have similarly been different with their stated premise, but instead opted for a more familiar TNG Jr., with eps that could have easily been in that series rather than unique to VOY. That could still lead to good eps, but eh.

DS9forever March 21 2013 01:19 AM

I was reading a post somewhere on the Enterprise board which mentioned that a clueless Paramount suit wanted to have bands playing in the NX-01's mess hall. To me, that illustrates a lack of studio knowledge and respect for the franchise that Berman and Braga were up against.

GameOn March 21 2013 01:26 AM

Quote:

Blip wrote: (Post 7826869)
^ which in itself is a shame, as Voyager IMHO had real potential to become something special... Sometimes I think I'd like to have seen VOY if it'd had DS9's team running the show, instead of Jeri Taylor and the Dreaded B&B.

A "Year of Hell" style serialised series with well defined and interesting characters, Battlestar Voyager basically.

HaventGotALife March 21 2013 04:24 AM

Quote:

DS9forever wrote: (Post 7826785)
I remember Braga saying he thought DS9's "Babel" was one of the worst TV episodes he had ever seen. I guess he doomed himself with that comment. "Babel" wasn't a good episode but it was only the fifth DS9 episode filmed, Braga later wrote such stinkers as "Sub Rosa", "Phantasms" and "Threshold".

Don't forget "Shuttlepod One." Talk about a story that goes nowhere.

Anwar March 21 2013 05:01 AM

Quote:

Blip wrote: (Post 7826869)

You do realize that Braga didn't become a showrunner until Season 5, and wasn't anymore by Season 7? He wasn't Producing all that much in VOY.

And he DID want a full Year of Hell.

Honestly people, stop blaming them for things that weren't their fault.

EDIT: Also, way to overlook stuff like "Living Witness" or "Frame of Mind" and only remember stuff like "Sub Rosa" or "Threshold".

The Mirrorball Man March 21 2013 05:06 AM

Quote:

HaventGotALife wrote: (Post 7827880)
Don't forget "Shuttlepod One." Talk about a story that goes nowhere.

It's a character piece. What's wrong with it?

LobsterAfternoon March 21 2013 05:23 AM

I do think people are a bit too harsh on Braga. He cowrote All Good Things, that alone should buy him some good will. Did he overstay his welcome? Probably. But given the meddling that the network suits put into Voyager and ENT, it's hard to say if any writer could've spun those into gold.