The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Fan Productions (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Robert Englan'ds STAR TREK: YEAR FIVE CGI with original cast voices! (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=206398)

Danlav05 March 17 2013 08:50 PM

Robert Englan'ds STAR TREK: YEAR FIVE CGI with original cast voices!

For a while now I've been talking a lot on here about 'Secret of Vulcan Fury', the famous lost videogame of the original crew. It's thought that all the original cast mates, plus Mark Lenard lent their voice to the project.

The two precursors were '25th Anniversary' and 'Judgement Rites', two video games with stories in episodic format - together the two games comprised 15 'episodes', all self-contained original stories set during the Five Year Mission.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQeH2xu5l74

Robert England has created his first CGI episode using music from the Original Series, plus vocals from at least one of the games. He says:

Quote:

Featuring all the Original TOS Casts voices in a new story never before presented in any episode live or animated. Impossible? Press Play! After this I have the Dialog recorded for 23 more stories including a new Harry Mudd and a new Trelane story both w/ the original characters actors voices!
I call this project "STAR TREK TOS: YEAR FIVE" (out of respect for the illustrated series called Star Trek: Season Four).
Obviously we have The Animated Series and two fanfilms completing the Five Year Misson, but how cool is this - an ongoing HD animated series with the original cast. The games are like the forgotten episodes - but ALL SEVEN members are there, plus Majel Barrett as the computer voice.

Because of the source material and animation style it feels like something new.

I can't wait to see this project continue! :)

ryan123450 March 17 2013 10:52 PM

Re: Robert Englan'ds STAR TREK: YEAR FIVE CGI with original cast voice

So does the audio for this come from those two previous games, or "The Secret of Vulcan Fury"?

USS Intrepid March 17 2013 10:53 PM

Cool! Thanks for flagging this up, I'll be watching it later. :)

Danlav05 March 17 2013 11:14 PM

Quote:

ryan123450 wrote: (Post 7813756)
So does the audio for this come from those two previous games, or "The Secret of Vulcan Fury"?

from the first two - the Secret of Vulcan Fury material is 'lost'

Maurice March 18 2013 01:05 AM

While this is interesting there's a real misinterpretation of the material because audio processed to come over the intercoms or communicators in played over shots with the characters in them and vice versa, which is really distracting.

Mr. Adventure March 18 2013 01:56 AM

That Spock creeps me out!

Danlav05 March 18 2013 03:08 AM

Yeah it seems that he's taken some artistic licence there with Spock, but it's weird to have Leonard Nimoy's voice come out of him! Also only a couple of the likenesses are ok (Kirk and McCoy), but that's fine - they match the characters if not the actors - the facial expressions are greatly done. Sulu though look like he's recovering form a skin disease of sorts close up - that's my only real criticism.

i like it's not in the same style as the Animated Series, but rather something different and new.

Yo can tell especially with Spock and Uhura, that the actors recorded their lines around TUC, but that's OK, it's easy to just enjoy another adventure with Kirk, Spock etc. The gang back together.

Captain Atkin March 18 2013 06:04 AM

Interesting. I'm not a big fan of the animation style that is being used, but what he has done with their voices is really cool.

mos6507 March 18 2013 10:57 AM

His Kirk seems to have a permanent smile on his face, like he just put a whoopie cushion on Spock's seat. But it is still a cool project. One can get very creative recycling preexisting dialogue. I did a clip once with Whoopi Goldberg's audio as Guinan and intend to do more once I build up more of a database of phrases.

Q2UnME March 18 2013 01:50 PM

Quote:

Captain Atkin wrote: (Post 7815106)
Interesting. I'm not a big fan of the animation style that is being used, but what he has done with their voices is really cool.

Agreed. More time should have been on character developement and refining motion and movement. Found the visuals lacking.

ryan123450 March 19 2013 12:41 AM

Way better than anything I could make so I'm not complaining.

DCR April 16 2013 05:51 AM

Took a quick look - I'm impressed. It's not perfect, but it's not bad at all.

Lord Garth, FOI April 18 2013 04:29 AM

I thought it was cool
An original full episode with all the original actors voice talents
Bring on more per favore

Brown-Eyed Ghoul April 18 2013 04:36 AM

Quote:

Q2UnME wrote: (Post 7815730)
Quote:

Captain Atkin wrote: (Post 7815106)

Agreed. More time should have been on character development and refining motion and movement. Found the visuals lacking.

Some of the characters, particularly Sulu and Chekov, look like they've been spending too much time in the gym. And sometimes the proportions are off and the characters look like pinheads. But these problems can be easily tweaked. It's always fun to see new Trek TOS material, whether live-action fan video or animation.

Herkimer Jitty April 18 2013 09:21 AM

Kirk's constant Zapp Brannigan smirk made me chuckle.