The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   The Next Generation (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   The AGT Dreadnought Enterprise (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=206380)

King Daniel Into Darkness March 17 2013 02:59 PM

The AGT Dreadnought Enterprise

An old subject, but I haven't seen a thread about it for quite awhile.

The "All Good Things" future-Enterprise. Three nacelles, massive phaser cannon, little forward-facing turrets on either side of the bridge.

What do you all think of it? Fanwanky kewl upgrade? Believable refit? What we should have had instead of the Enterprise-E? Abomination? Something inbetween? I'm in the "fanwanky kewl" camp. I loved it as a kid, But it does take away whatever grace the 1701-D had. And isn't exactly in line with Starfleet's design principles. The BMF Enterprise!

Relayer1 March 17 2013 03:30 PM

Re: The AGT Dreadnought Enterprise

Quote:

King Daniel wrote: (Post 7812088)
I loved it as a kid, But it does take away whatever grace the 1701-D had.

The 'D' had no grace - it is ugly and awkward. I actually prefer the 'upgrade', but I don't like either very much...

Doug Otte March 17 2013 04:00 PM

I vote "fanwanky kewl upgrade."

The Librarian March 17 2013 04:08 PM

Starfleet's answer to the Dominion super-battleship and Borg cubes. Somewhat awkward and yet packs a big punch, making use the Galaxy's ample internal space for additional firepower. Perhaps in this timeline the Ent-D was only badly damaged over Veridian and during the refit process Starfleet decided to see what they could really do with a more combat-focused Galaxy in light of the growing Dominion threat.

Tosk March 17 2013 04:11 PM

It's okay, I guess. But I prefer the original look of the D.

bullethead March 17 2013 04:17 PM

Liked the gun, could do without the rest of the add-ons. The bridge was pretty nice though.

SchwEnt March 17 2013 04:28 PM

I also vote "fanwanky kewl upgrade". Interesting idea, but I don't like it. It ruins the original Galaxy design.

Worst of all, it's impractical as hell.
The third nacelle location plays havoc with the whole ship. It blocks access to all the shuttlebays.

Also, the spine along the top of the stardrive section is umbilical access and support systems. That's all gone now with the nacelle sticking there. Where did all those systems go?

The BFG under the saucer evidently necessitated the removal of the captain's yacht and others things on the underside. And can the saucer still separate? Does the BFG remain and stick out? Does it separate with the saucer section?

NewHorizon March 17 2013 04:49 PM

Quote:

Relayer1 wrote: (Post 7812166)
Quote:

King Daniel wrote: (Post 7812088)
I loved it as a kid, But it does take away whatever grace the 1701-D had.

The 'D' had no grace - it is ugly and awkward. I actually prefer the 'upgrade', but I don't like either very much...

The 'D' had grace until they created the 4 foot shooting model, then it had no grace. The 6 foot D was a white swan, the 4 foot D was a pit bull.

davejames March 17 2013 06:07 PM

I thought it worked great for that episode, but I would not have wanted to see it become the "official future Enterprise" or anything like that. I'd just never be able to take it seriously with that giant gun under the saucer.

Unicron March 17 2013 06:34 PM

Quote:

SchwEnt wrote: (Post 7812469)
I also vote "fanwanky kewl upgrade". Interesting idea, but I don't like it. It ruins the original Galaxy design.

Worst of all, it's impractical as hell.
The third nacelle location plays havoc with the whole ship. It blocks access to all the shuttlebays.

Also, the spine along the top of the stardrive section is umbilical access and support systems. That's all gone now with the nacelle sticking there. Where did all those systems go?

The BFG under the saucer evidently necessitated the removal of the captain's yacht and others things on the underside. And can the saucer still separate? Does the BFG remain and stick out? Does it separate with the saucer section?

According to one fan work I know of, which fleshes out some of the starship designs, the smaller shuttlebays were removed to accommodate the third nacelle and the main shuttlebay's capacity was expanded by 75% to make up the difference. The big phaser cannon was mounted because the designers wanted heavier punch, but adding lots of torpedo launchers on the Galaxy frame wasn't ideal. The saucer can still separate.

jimbotron March 17 2013 06:35 PM

Uuuuuuuuugly.

I saw the 4-foot model on exhibit a couple years ago. The model still had scars from where the extra pieces were. It's pretty obvious why it was never sold at auction. It's too trashed to sell.

The Keeper March 17 2013 07:20 PM

Abomination!

RAMA March 17 2013 08:56 PM

Not a huge fan.

C.E. Evans March 17 2013 09:20 PM

I initially liked the three-nacelle Enterprise-D until I got a good look at her and realized what a Frankenstein she was, with all sorts of new bits covering old bits, and not all of them very well.

I definitely think a true Galaxy-class refit won't look anything like that, but probably just a sleeker version of the original.

RAMA March 17 2013 10:04 PM

Quote:

C.E. Evans wrote: (Post 7813435)
I initially liked the three-nacelle Enterprise-D until I got a good look at her and realized what a Frankenstein she was, with all sorts of new bits covering old bits, and not all of them very well.

I definitely think a true Galaxy-class refit won't look anything like that, but probably just a sleeker version of the original.

ST Online has a more than passable Galaxy upgrade:

Venture Class:

http://www.stowiki.org/Exploration_Cruiser_Retrofit
http://trekazoid.wordpress.com/2011/...venture-class/