The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   General Trek Discussion (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Why is almost every hybrid on the show half human? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=205918)

JirinPanthosa March 12 2013 06:08 AM

Why is almost every hybrid on the show half human?
 
The girl in Birthright was half Klingon, half Romulan.

Ziyal was half Cardassian, half Bajoran. And so was that baby in Covenant.

I can't think of any other characters who are two alien races without one of those races being human. We have K'elyhr, Troi, Naomi Wildman, Spock.

Why no half Romulan half Betazoid? Half Ferengi half Klingon? Half Vulcan half Pakled? Why do all the aliens always want to get with us and never with each other?

And why is it in pretty much every science fiction show, monstrous looking aliens find human looking women attractive? Jabba should have found Leia repulsive, and he should be lusting after slug women.

Pavonis March 12 2013 06:35 AM

Re: Why is almost every hybrid on the show half human?
 
Half-Romulans should be rare because they're not a very gregarious people with non-Romulans.

Half-Ferengi? I can't imagine what a half-Ferengi would look like. Maybe they're not as easily hybridized.

Pakled-Vulcan? That just boggles the mind....

Gul Re'jal March 12 2013 06:42 AM

Re: Why is almost every hybrid on the show half human?
 
I have two ideas. One: half-human so that we (the viewers) could relate to them. Two: half-human so that they needed only bits of bumpy foreheads and not full make-up.

Or both.

t_smitts March 12 2013 06:45 AM

Re: Why is almost every hybrid on the show half human?
 
Quote:

JirinPanthosa wrote: (Post 7790740)
The girl in Birthright was half Klingon, half Romulan.

Ziyal was half Cardassian, half Bajoran. And so was that baby in Covenant.

I can't think of any other characters who are two alien races without one of those races being human. We have K'elyhr, Troi, Naomi Wildman, Spock.

Why no half Romulan half Betazoid? Half Ferengi half Klingon? Half Vulcan half Pakled? Why do all the aliens always want to get with us and never with each other?

And why is it in pretty much every science fiction show, monstrous looking aliens find human looking women attractive? Jabba should have found Leia repulsive, and he should be lusting after slug women.

Well, for starters, there haven't been THAT many hybrids. (You also forgot Seska's half-Kazon baby). I would surmise that since most of the major characters on the shows (and even a good number of minor ones) have been human, that lends itself to most on-screen hybrids being partially human.

In one of the "Parallels" universes, Worf and Troi have kids, which would be half-Klingon, one-quarter Betazoid, and one-quarter Human.

Apparently, Saavik was initially meant to be half-Romulan (though whether that counts as two separate species is debatable). Apparently they were considering an idea of revealing T'Pol's father in Enterprise's fifth season to be Romulan as well.

yousirname March 12 2013 07:04 AM

Re: Why is almost every hybrid on the show half human?
 
We've seen so many Vulcan hybrids it's unreal, it seems to me. Vulcans must be all about the strange.

J. Allen March 12 2013 07:41 AM

Re: Why is almost every hybrid on the show half human?
 
Because I would engage in sexy times with them.

Timo March 12 2013 08:33 AM

Re: Why is almost every hybrid on the show half human?
 
This is just another aspect of the fact that the show mainly deals with human characters from the human viewpoint... What Gul Re'jal says, only also in in-universe terms.

Obviously, even if the Trek universe were full of hybrids of all sorts, we would only ever get to see those who have ties to the human culture, because that's where the cameras are. And the most natural type of tie would be if the hybrid included human blood as one component.

Timo Saloniemi

Metryq March 12 2013 10:37 AM

Re: Why is almost every hybrid on the show half human?
 
Kirk has been busy. Weren't you watching? Delia in "Wink of an Eye" was undoubtedly a "quickie." It was so fast that viewers never saw it; only Kirk sitting on the edge of a bed putting his boots back on. (Nothing ever came of his romp with Androida, er, Andrea in "What Are Little Girls Made Of?")

teacake March 12 2013 11:40 AM

Re: Why is almost every hybrid on the show half human?
 
Quote:

Metryq wrote: (Post 7791127)
Kirk has been busy. Weren't you watching? Delia in "Wink of an Eye" was undoubtedly a "quickie." It was so fast that viewers never saw it;

That's why it was called "Wink of an Eye".

"Let that be your last Battlefield" was the bondage ep.

"Where No Man Has Gone Before", ALL slash started there.

I could go on.. just remember it was the 60's, one had to be more subtle.

C.E. Evans March 12 2013 11:57 AM

Re: Why is almost every hybrid on the show half human?
 
The farther you get away from Earth and other worlds where there are lots of Humans, the more likely you'll encounter non-Human hybrids, IMO. In other parts of the Galaxy, it may actually be quite rare to see one.

Devo March 12 2013 12:22 PM

Re: Why is almost every hybrid on the show half human?
 
It's all about the make-up. Make-up costs money and Star Trek was very cheap. :P

CorporalCaptain March 12 2013 12:32 PM

Re: Why is almost every hybrid on the show half human?
 
Quote:

Gul Re'jal wrote: (Post 7790824)
I have two ideas. One: half-human so that we (the viewers) could relate to them. Two: half-human so that they needed only bits of bumpy foreheads and not full make-up.

Or both.

Pretty much my thoughts. Naturally, these are basically the same reasons why most of the characters are human/humanoid in the first place.

Quote:

Metryq wrote: (Post 7791127)
Delia in "Wink of an Eye" was undoubtedly a "quickie." It was so fast that viewers never saw it

Oh, lordie. :lol:

Forbin March 12 2013 01:05 PM

Re: Why is almost every hybrid on the show half human?
 
Because we humans are horny bastards.

bbailey861 March 12 2013 02:12 PM

Re: Why is almost every hybrid on the show half human?
 
Quote:

Gul Re'jal wrote: (Post 7790824)
I have two ideas. One: half-human so that we (the viewers) could relate to them. Two: half-human so that they needed only bits of bumpy foreheads and not full make-up.

Or both.

IMO, this is the most logical response. It saves money when trying to produce a TV program. Maybe the time is ripe for a new animated show so the same constraints are not there.

Quote:

J. Allen wrote: (Post 7790908)
Because I would engage in sexy times with them.

IMO, this is the funniest answer. You made coffee come out my nose, thanks.:rofl:

Rhaven March 12 2013 02:29 PM

Re: Why is almost every hybrid on the show half human?
 
I always thought it was because our DNA melded well with others.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.