The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Trek Literature (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   E-Books or Paper Books (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=205822)

JD March 11 2013 09:35 PM

E-Books or Paper Books

I was just curious to see what the ratio of people here who read all e-books, all paper books, or a combination of the two is.
Personally, I'm probably close to 50/50 right now, but I'm working on trying to get through all of the paper books I bought before I got my Nooks. Once I get through all of my paper books I own now, I'm hoping to get probably around 90% e-book, with the occasional paper book I find on sale really cheap.

JoeZhang March 11 2013 09:38 PM

Re: E-Books or Paper Books

all ebooks.

Garrovick March 11 2013 09:54 PM

I like paper books; I only read e-books right now for works that aren't available on paper. It's not that I have anything against e-books per se, I just prefer having the paper book. If Pocket was to stop publishing paper books I'd switch over with no problem.

John Clark March 11 2013 09:54 PM

I mostly buy ebooks nowadays.

For me, it's mostly about storage space so for any new ones, I'll probably go in that direction. As for which I read, that's about 50% each way as I do re-read older books that I only have in physical form.

Thrawn March 11 2013 09:54 PM

All ebooks.

Paris March 11 2013 09:56 PM

100% paper for me :techman:

Pavonis March 11 2013 10:03 PM

I have a large collection of physical books which I'm still trying to get through (I estimate I have a 2-3 year backlog based on my typical reading behavior). I have both a Nook and an iPad with e-reader apps. I've downloaded many public domain books to the e-readers, but haven't gotten through them yet.

When people see the stacks of books I own, they say I should just get an e-reader. Of course I tell them I already own one, but that not everything I want to read is available in e-format, and that there are still advantages to owning non-volatile storage media.

shanejayell March 11 2013 10:10 PM

Paper books. Until ereaders drop in price and the ebook prices go down a bit, I plan to stick with paper.

ronny March 11 2013 10:10 PM

Quote:

Garrovick wrote: (Post 7788367)
I like paper books; I only read e-books right now for works that aren't available on paper. It's not that I have anything against e-books per se, I just prefer having the paper book. If Pocket was to stop publishing paper books I'd switch over with no problem.

This.

zarkon March 11 2013 10:16 PM

paper is all I buy

Greg Cox March 11 2013 10:18 PM

I have yet to join the ebook revolution, although I will sometimes grudgingly read and edit manuscripts online. I'm used to working with hard copies, but realize that's a losing battle . . . .

sulfur March 11 2013 10:24 PM

I picked up an e-reader over Xmas, and have been reading far more with that than I was able to do with paper books.

Having said that, there are certain things that I still want to have in paper form, including Trek books. Those are still all paper.

BillJ March 11 2013 10:43 PM

E-books here.

DeVario March 11 2013 10:52 PM

Mostly paper, but if something is coming out exclusively on ebook, then I just download it on my phone.

Mr. Laser Beam March 11 2013 10:56 PM

I buy all E-books now. Ever since I got my first iPad, I have done this. I intend to keep it up - I won't buy a paper book ever again if I can avoid it. E-books are just too convenient.