The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   The Next Generation (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   The jello in Allegiance (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=205417)

swaaye March 7 2013 09:16 PM

The jello in Allegiance

Ever since I first saw this episode, the cylindrical jello slices have fascinated me. Does anyone know exactly what they were? lol

Mojochi March 7 2013 10:40 PM

Re: The jello in Allegiance

"It's edible, but I wouldn't exactly call it food". LOL! Do you mean an in universe explanation? I'm not aware of one. In reality, it looks like a garden variety slab of gelatin, perhaps like a big hockey puck shaped Gummy Bear

My favorite part of that scene is that it kind of has a quiet squishy sound when Picard bites into it, & then it kind of softly splats when he puts it down :guffaw:

For some inexplicable reason, I actually like this TNG episode. My only issue is that I don't remember there being any water. That would be the 1st necessity

Mott the barber March 7 2013 11:13 PM

I'd just like to go on the record and say I love how this is its own topic. :D

swaaye March 8 2013 03:21 AM

Thanks to Netflix on the tablet, I showed the clip to a culinary pro that I know. lol. It is indeed probably a thick gelatin mix. I am going to create it myself and undoubtedly get rich!

Use of Time March 8 2013 03:48 AM

One disk too. Is that supposed to feed everybody?

Tosk March 8 2013 03:53 AM

No one is ever seen doing more than licking at them, right? I wouldn't be surprised if they were actually just plastic discs.

...or urinal cakes. ;)

Quote:

Use of Time wrote: (Post 7774300)

There's at least ten of them in the dispenser.

Use of Time March 8 2013 04:00 AM

Thank God.

Mojochi March 8 2013 04:50 AM

Quote:

Tosk wrote: (Post 7774327)
No one is ever seen doing more than licking at them, right? I wouldn't be surprised if they were actually just plastic discs.

...or urinal cakes. ;)

Quote:

Use of Time wrote: (Post 7774300)

There's at least ten of them in the dispenser.

Yeah, it's a shoot that dispenses them indefinitely I presume

Big dude licks it, but Picard takes a nibble & chews it down. So I figure they made something edible for the scene. It's pretty easy to make a gelatin slab from powdered gelatin packs which are abundant & cheap

& I agree with Mott. This is a pretty neat topic, that I haven't discussed before :D

M March 8 2013 07:10 AM

I don't know why, but this thing has always fascinated me, too. I love how it dispenses from this machine and how careful Picard is biting off of it. I'd also guess this is some kind of gelatin mix. It probably tastes like strawberry or some other kind of red fruit.

As for the episode itself, I always had a soft spot for this one. It has some Twilight Zone-esque qualities to it. It's fun to guess who exactly is the enemy amoung the group. And it's nice to see Stewart out of character on the Enterprise.

LOKAI of CHERON March 8 2013 10:10 PM

Quote:

Tosk wrote: (Post 7774327)
...or urinal cakes. ;)

Oh, you just had to go and put that idea in my head, didn't you! :barf2: :lol:

Mojochi March 8 2013 10:21 PM

Every time I see this thread, for a second I think it says Jellico, & am annoyed because the last thing we need is another discussion about THAT guy

But then I realize it says jello, & my mood suddenly improves

billcosby March 8 2013 10:30 PM

You mean what was used for the prop?
I wish I knew. Of all the pointless and stupid questions Patrick Stewart was asked over the years, is asking this one out of the question? Now I need to know, too.

Maxwell Everett March 9 2013 01:37 AM

Not many people know this (though probably many here I'd bet), but gelatin is made from collagen, which comes from animal bones and skin. Looking it up on Google/Wikipedia, it's derived from pork skins, pork, horses, and cattle bones, or split cattle hides. Its composition is 84%-90% protein, 1%-2% mineral salts and 8%-15% water. Gelatin contains no fat and has about 95 calories per ounce. An ounce of gelatin satisfies about 2% of your daily needs for iron and calcium. By itself, it's essentially odorless and tasteless.

Personally, I always assumed that the gelatin discs in "Allegiance" were made from the collagen from the bodies of the previous inhabitants of the prison cell! Brings a whole new darker spin to the episode, huh? What would've happened to them if Picard hadn't discovered that the Starfleet cadet was an imposter and the aliens ended the experiment?

swaaye March 9 2013 03:11 AM

For that matter, those slices were pinkish red too. Gelled puree of prisoner. :)

Tosk March 9 2013 03:30 AM

Quote:

Maxwell Everett wrote: (Post 7778131)
Personally, I always assumed that the gelatin discs in "Allegiance" were made from the collagen from the bodies of the previous inhabitants of the prison cell! Brings a whole new darker spin to the episode, huh? What would've happened to them if Picard hadn't discovered that the Starfleet cadet was an imposter and the aliens ended the experiment?

That would be a bit at odds with their later statements though.

"We were merely curious. We meant no harm."
"We did not, after all, injure you in any way."