The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   General Trek Discussion (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Mirror universe, Day to day and Civilian life (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=205192)

WesleysDisciple March 5 2013 10:45 AM

Mirror universe, Day to day and Civilian life

something even the novels dont seem to tell us, is what are day to day and civilian life like in the mirror universe?

How different is what we'd see on TV, or such.

Are Wedding Ceremonys, more focused on pledges of obedience... lots more I could ask but you get the idea I think.

yousirname March 5 2013 11:05 AM

Re: Mirror universe, Day to day and Civilian life

Instead of waking up in the morning, brewing a pot of coffee and fixing bacon and eggs, people wake up in the EVIL morning, brew a pot of EVIL coffee and fix EVIL bacon and EVIL eggs.

iguana_tonante March 5 2013 12:17 PM

Eating bacon and eggs in the morning is evil even in this universe.

Croissant and cappuccino, now that's good.

King Daniel Into Darkness March 5 2013 12:24 PM

In Mirror Universe, eggs and bacon eat YOU!

Metryq March 5 2013 12:25 PM

Realistically? I think the mirror universe would be unsustainable. "The Enemy Within" is also a dramatic conceit, yet is a metaphor for the human psyche. That the mirror universe would be "just like" our own, only evil, is ridiculous.

Common political labels, such as party names or even descriptors (liberal, conservative) turn over so rapidly that they serve little purpose, except to get people riled up. I prefer terms like "creator" and "destroyer," although they seem a bit colorful. The mirror Starfleet are depicted as destroyers. They might last for a time, riding on the backs of a civilization that had been created. But eventually they would consume everything, and the system would collapse. (The Nazis would be the closest analogy.) In the climactic transporter room scene, Kirk tells "evil" Spock that it can't last:

Quote:

KIRK: The inevitable outcome?

SPOCK: The Empire shall be overthrown, of course.

KIRK: The illogic of waste, Mister Spock. The waste of lives, potential, resources, time. I submit to you that your Empire is illogical because it cannot endure. I submit that you are illogical to be a willing part of it.
Unless one happens to be a collaborator, civilian life is probably short and miserable, and everyone has his own, personalized agonizer and booth.

The Wormhole March 5 2013 02:41 PM

Imagine this, a man in the Prime Universe goes into his bathroom and shaves his face. When he's all clean-shaven he walks out, grabs his briefcase and carries on with his day. The screen flips and we see the Mirror Universe, shaving his face. When he's done and has a neatly trimmed goatee he walks out, grabs his dagger and carries on with his day.

Sci March 5 2013 06:52 PM

I imagine that day-to-day life in the Terran Empire for most people is akin to day-to-day life in the Third Reich, in Franco's Spain, Chile under Pinochet, or Argentina under the military junta. It does seem to be a totalitarian state; it doesn't seem to have any egalitarian rhetoric, implying that it's not what we would call a "nominally leftist" dictatorship.

WesleysDisciple March 7 2013 02:41 AM

Somehow, not sure why, but somehow, Im willing to bet, that Civilians are probaly not required to carry agonizers...

But I do think Agonizers, and agony booths, are used on Civilians yes.

Im thinking that Schools probaly have uniforms, liberal use of Corporal punishment, And Shameless propaganda.

schools for children of privilige, as opposed to public schools, probaly differ only in that the propaganda, is designed a bit more to make people into individual achievers, and less into making people feel that their special by playing ANY role, in the TErran war machine, even if its by working at a Restaraunt, That workers at a factory sometimes go to.

Mr. Laser Beam March 7 2013 03:56 AM

I doubt it's as bad as, say, Warhammer 40,000, which is basically non-stop bloodshed from birth to death. Life in the Terran Empire is probably good for collaborators and loyalists, bad for revolutionaries.

scotpens March 7 2013 06:30 PM

The really important question is: In the Mirror Universe, do civilian women go around in public with their bellybuttons showing?

The Wormhole March 7 2013 06:37 PM

Quote:

scotpens wrote: (Post 7772206)
The really important question is: In the Mirror Universe, do civilian women go around in public with their bellybuttons showing?

Yes. And they are all lesbians or at least bisexual.

Temis the Vorta March 7 2013 07:08 PM

Quote:

yousirname wrote: (Post 7762399)
Instead of waking up in the morning, brewing a pot of coffee and fixing bacon and eggs, people wake up in the EVIL morning, brew a pot of EVIL coffee and fix EVIL bacon and EVIL eggs.

Like this? :D

Temis the Vorta March 7 2013 07:11 PM

Quote:

Sci wrote: (Post 7763548)
I imagine that day-to-day life in the Terran Empire for most people is akin to day-to-day life in the Third Reich, in Franco's Spain, Chile under Pinochet, or Argentina under the military junta. It does seem to be a totalitarian state; it doesn't seem to have any egalitarian rhetoric, implying that it's not what we would call a "nominally leftist" dictatorship.

The MU always struck me as more piratical than totalitarian in the sense we're used to, the notion of some government with total control over people. In TOS especially, the structure seemed a lot looser and more chaotic, with people being encouraged to commit murder in order to advance.

Really, it doesn't seem like a society that could exist on an ongoing basis, but assuming it could, it's more like libertarianism or anarchy run amok than fascism or communism. Or even the ultimate in laissez-faire capitalism, with the entrepreneurial spirit encouraged to a murderous degree.

In other words, if Americans invented a totalitarian system, it would be the MU. :D

Sci March 7 2013 08:18 PM

Quote:

Temis the Vorta wrote: (Post 7772347)
In other words, if Americans invented a totalitarian system, it would be the MU. :D

We did. It was called slavery.

Also, the Terran Empire is established to be controlled by an Emperor or Empress in "In A Mirror, Darkly."

Shawnster March 7 2013 10:48 PM

Quote:

Sci wrote: (Post 7772587)
Quote:

Temis the Vorta wrote: (Post 7772347)

We did. It was called slavery.

Anglo had slaves before whites settled in North America. In other words, Americans didn't invent slavery.