The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Transformers Movies, why are they popular? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=205066)

The Overlord March 4 2013 02:54 AM

Transformers Movies, why are they popular?

Why do you think the Transformers movies are popular? In my opinion, Transformers Revenge of the Fallen was one of the worst movies I ever saw, it was racist, sexist and profoundly stupid. Also it was 2 and half hours long and not coherent at all.

Guy Gardener March 4 2013 03:06 AM

Re: Transformers Movies, why are they popular?

Stop sucking up to Mick Bay. It doesn't matter how nice you are, he's not going to invite you to Cabo.

davejames March 4 2013 03:16 AM

Well the first one I can understand, because it was a pretty unique, well-told alien invasion story that actually had a sense of magic and wonder about it.

The sequels, on the other hand, I have no clue. They were just a lot of noise and frenetic action without any sense of magic whatsoever.

The Overlord March 4 2013 03:27 AM

Quote:

davejames wrote: (Post 7757245)
Well the first one I can understand, because it was a pretty unique, well-told alien invasion story that actually had a sense of magic and wonder about it.

The sequels, on the other hand, I have no clue. They were just a lot of noise and frenetic action without any sense of magic whatsoever.

I did not like the first one, but to me it was an ordinary bad film, I didn't like it overall, but there a few things that were good in it. Its only by the second movie that the series became nightmarishly bad.

Hound of UIster March 4 2013 03:37 AM

Explosions and they have a built in fandom like TMNT.

Ancient Mariner March 4 2013 03:37 AM

Quote:

The Overlord wrote: (Post 7757257)
I did not like the first one, but to me it was an ordinary bad film, I didn't like it overall, but there a few things that were good in it. Its only by the second movie that the series became nightmarishly bad.

The series became nightmarishly bad once the Autobots arrived in TF1. Problem is, not enough people seemed to notice, then decided TF2 was somehow drastically worse than the puerile, incomprehensible second-half of TF1 (the first-half was actually pretty decent) ... and then bought the line that TF2 was only bad because of the writer's strike ... and that TF3 would, somehow, be a return to their imprecise recollection of what TF1 actually was.

Personally, I've been entertained by the online outrage at least as much as I was by the films themselves (which I enjoyed as mindless diversions).

Mr Light March 4 2013 03:57 AM

Because the visuals are amazing! Say what you will about the stories and the characters, but it LOOKS incredible.

intrinsical March 4 2013 08:43 AM

Looks like a confusing swirl of metal bits to me. Half the time, I can barely even recognize who's who nor what they were doing.

Say what you will but I prefer the action sequences in Avengers a thousandfold over what I saw in Transformers.

USS Firefly March 4 2013 11:52 AM

The TF movies were terrible, just a michael bay movie

Avon March 4 2013 12:08 PM

they provide good rant material for dr kermode

Trekker4747 March 4 2013 12:09 PM

Quote:

davejames wrote: (Post 7757245)

..... Did you see a different movie than I did?

Trekker4747 March 4 2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

junxon wrote: (Post 7758172)
they provide good rant material for dr kermode

Wow

Pingfah March 4 2013 02:55 PM

I think a big part of why they are popular is because of the strength of the concept.

Giant robots from an alien planet making their home on earth with a vow to protect the population from their evil robot adversaries is a very cool concept indeed. Combine that with the lasting popularity of the toy line and cartoons, a bit of nostalgia for the 80s and a big budget to deliver the action, and you have a pretty much guaranteed hit.

Holdfast March 4 2013 03:05 PM

Mark Kermode has panache & humour, a rare thing among genuinely knowledgeable critics. He's one of the good guys.

On topic, I don't think there's any big mystery about why the Transformer movies have been successful. Personally, I don't think any of them top the 1980s animated movie (which was easier to follow in terms of the battles, with more identifiable characters and better music). But still, the new movies are big, flashy, sensory-overloading beasts that serve to overwhelm audiences for their alloted time and have built up a clear & consistent brand image in the public's imagination. So they keep pulling in crowds as "event" movies.

As a long-term TF fan, they're not what I hoped for from a live action TF movie in terms of character design and fight sequences (which, for me, are two of the most important things when going to see a fighting robots movie). But I can definitely see why they're successful.

The Mirrorball Man March 4 2013 03:34 PM

Quote:

Pingfah wrote: (Post 7758493)
Giant robots from an alien planet making their home on earth with a vow to protect the population from their evil robot adversaries is a very cool concept indeed.

It's probably cool when you're nine years old, but I have to say that, as an adult, it leaves me completely cold, and I enjoy quite a lot of idiotic stuff.