The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   TV & Media (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   School goes into lockdown over "Fresh Prince" theme (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=205000)

the G-man March 3 2013 04:34 AM

School goes into lockdown over "Fresh Prince" theme

Receptionist Mistakes Fresh Prince Theme Song for Threat; School Goes Into Lockdown:
  • The teen's voicemail greeting triggered a lockdown at his Pennsylvania school after a receptionist misheard his rendition of "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" theme song.

While trying to confirm an appointment with 19-year-old Travis Clawson the receptionist thought the message said "shooting people outside of the school." The line is actually "shooting some b-ball," a reference to basketball.

The receptionist called 911 and Economy police arrested Clawson a short time later at Ambridge Area High School, but released him once he explained the message.

Acting police Chief James Mann says police acted "appropriately" out of concern for students' welfare.

Thank goodness, the kid didn't have "Be Cruel to Your School" as his ringtone. He'd probably be in state prison by now.

TemporalFlux March 3 2013 09:13 AM

Re: School goes into lockdown over "Fresh Prince" theme

So sad. That receptionist has never watched Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. A judge should sentence her to two weeks of TV Land.

Aldo March 3 2013 09:30 AM

Quote:

TemporalFlux wrote: (Post 7754419)
So sad. That receptionist has never watched Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. A judge should sentence her to two weeks of TV Land.

Uncle Phil should be the Judge.

Sephiroth March 3 2013 11:12 AM

Uncle Phil was a scary sumbitch, wouldn't surprise me if he kept a noose in his chambers

Mr Light March 3 2013 12:59 PM

Will Smith, truly, the most terrifying of all rappers.

Alidar Jarok March 3 2013 04:06 PM

I'm of two minds here. On one hand, leaving aside the fact that she didn't know what the Fresh Prince theme was, is a ringtone really significant enough to warrant a lockdown? Even the most violent lyrics in the world don't really indicate an imminent threat. On the other hand, there are going to be errors and it's pretty clear that we would prefer someone to overreact than underreact these days.

Greg Cox March 3 2013 04:14 PM

What if he was a show tunes fan who had something from "West Side Story" or "Sweeney Todd" as his ringtone? :)

"I swear, Officer, he's planning to slice people up and bake them into pies!"

the G-man March 3 2013 04:20 PM

...or Johnny Cash (or a few dozen other classic outlaw country artists)?

"he shot a man in Reno, officer, just to watch him die!"

lennier1 March 3 2013 05:02 PM

Good thing the kid isn't into heavy metal:

George Steinbrenner March 3 2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

Sephiroth wrote: (Post 7754638)
Uncle Phil was a scary sumbitch, wouldn't surprise me if he kept a noose in his chambers

And also a bat'leth.

ATimson March 3 2013 05:34 PM

Quote:

Alidar Jarok wrote: (Post 7755109)
On the other hand, there are going to be errors and it's pretty clear that we would prefer someone to overreact than underreact these days.

Who's "we"? Because I know I wouldn't.

Alidar Jarok March 3 2013 07:35 PM

"We" are people in charge of setting policy for schools. Why would you prefer they ignore a problem rather than take precautions when it turns out to not be a problem? It seems that the costs of your error is higher than the costs of my error.

The Mirrorball Man March 3 2013 07:43 PM

Quote:

Alidar Jarok wrote: (Post 7755667)
"We" are people in charge of setting policy for schools. Why would you prefer they ignore a problem rather than take precautions when it turns out to not be a problem?

I think we'd like them to be able to identify problems a little more accurately.

Takeru March 3 2013 08:21 PM

Quote:

the G-man wrote: (Post 7753870)
Acting police Chief James Mann says police acted "appropriately" out of concern for students' welfare.

No, they didn't, he shouldn't have been arrested in the first place just because of a song. Everyone involved overreacted, it's not even a violent song and even if it was it would't justify what happened.

the G-man March 3 2013 08:27 PM

Quote:

Alidar Jarok wrote: (Post 7755667)
"We" are people in charge of setting policy for schools. Why would you prefer they ignore a problem rather than take precautions when it turns out to not be a problem? It seems that the costs of your error is higher than the costs of my error.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety"