The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Movies XI+ (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Saldana: Uhura-Spock (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=204889)

TrekToday March 1 2013 07:20 PM

Saldana: Uhura-Spock

Zoë Saldana spoke briefly recently about Uhura and Spock’s relationship in Star Trek into Darkness. Since the destruction of Vulcan in Star Trek (2009), fans have wondered how that would affect the relationship between the two characters, but according to Saldana, there are other things happening that impact the couple. “They’re figuring things out” said [...]

More...

feek61 March 1 2013 09:26 PM

Re: Saldana: Uhura-Spock

Not really a big fan of the relationship but hopefully it will be dealt with tastefully in the next film.

Admiral Buzzkill March 1 2013 10:49 PM

Love the Spock/Uhura thing.

serenitytrek1 March 1 2013 11:17 PM

where is spock/uhura fan?

she used to be very popular on the site?

Sindatur March 1 2013 11:26 PM

Quote:

serenitytrek1 wrote: (Post 7749391)

If I'm not mixing her up with another poster, she seems to have disappeared right when her Enterprise Thread was due to review TATV.

Sector 7 March 4 2013 08:18 AM

Quote:

feek61 wrote: (Post 7748902)
Not really a big fan of the relationship but hopefully it will be dealt with tastefully in the next film.

This. +1 :techman:
Quote:

Sindatur wrote: (Post 7749412)
Quote:

serenitytrek1 wrote: (Post 7749391)

If I'm not mixing her up with another poster, she seems to have disappeared right when her Enterprise Thread was due to review TATV.

Who could blame her? :devil:

King Daniel Into Darkness March 4 2013 11:49 AM

IIRC, Spock/Uhura Fan left when the first trailer for Into Darkness left her underwhelmed.

Shazam! March 4 2013 01:23 PM

The Spock / Uhura thing is a load of forced melodrama, pandering to a tween audience conditioned to the female lead falling for the emotionally distant handsome male.

It's a lazy attempt at giving the Uhura character a 3rd dimension and probably more insulting to the character than any of the lowest Uhura moments TOS presented us with.

Dream March 4 2013 02:43 PM

You guys know that Vulcan and Human sex is awesome right? :devil:

serenitytrek1 March 4 2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Shazam! wrote: (Post 7758250)
The Spock / Uhura thing is a load of forced melodrama, pandering to a tween audience conditioned to the female lead falling for the emotionally distant handsome male.

It's a lazy attempt at giving the Uhura character a 3rd dimension and probably more insulting to the character than any of the lowest Uhura moments TOS presented us with.

I kind of disagree; I think the writers of trek 09 had an obligation to attract a female audience by putting a romance in the film.

I don’t think the romance in trek was made for the tween audience. The tween audience like the shallow and superficial over the top romance like the horrible twilight films. The romance in trek 09 was very mature and low key.

Also,Uhura just happened to be at the right place at the right time. originally the writers were going to go with Nurse Chapel but they scrapped it because Chapel couldn’t been on the bridge, Chapel belonged in the medical bay which means it would have been very hard to write a romance between spock/chapel in a 2 hour film.

So yeah.... Uhura was at the right place at the right time, it was a lot easier for JJ Abrams and his buddies to write a romance between Uhura/Spock instead of Chapel/Spock . It had nothing to do with upgrading Uhura's character because she did nothing in TOS.

Maybe nurse chapel and Spock would have made more sense ..she was the one crushing on Spock in TOS.

As JJ Abrams is more of a geek nerd than a Jork, JJ Abrams gets to live out his fantasy through uhura/spock. JJ said he paired them together because he did not like the idea of how the handsome hero which in Star Trek is Kirk always gets the girl. He wanted a nerd (in other words some one like himself) to get the girl instead.

I also disagree with it been forced.. a romatic pairing been forced is mostly subject to the actors performance in the film. Perfect examples are: Hayden Christensen and Nataile Portman or Rob Pattinson and Kristen Stewart.

Zoe Saldana and Zachary Quinto make a very good pair and are both good actors. In fact the whole cast blended together well. Nothing about TREK 09 was forced.

Shazam! March 4 2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

serenitytrek1 wrote: (Post 7758511)
I think the writers of trek 09 had an obligation to attract a female audience by putting a romance i the film....

...I also disagree with it been forced

¯\(°_o)/¯

If they were obligated, by definition their hand was forced to some degree.

Nerys Myk March 4 2013 03:27 PM

Quote:

Shazam! wrote: (Post 7758250)

Isn't that at the core of Spocks appeal to many in the female audience and the basis of more than one TOS episode?

Shazam! March 4 2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Nerys Myk wrote: (Post 7758580)
Isn't that at the core of Spocks appeal to many in the female audience

As a by-product of the character, possibly, but the stoic outsider getting the girl is as cliché and tired today as your lantern jawed hero getting the girl has ever been.

Quote:

and the basis of more than one TOS episode?
Any Spock / Uhura inference in TOS is lucky coincidence. It's not even something I EVER saw brought up until post Trek XI

There was probably enough Kirk / Uhura interaction in TOS as well if you looked for it. Heck, even the Uhura / Scotty stuff in the movies was BLATANT.

The Mirrorball Man March 4 2013 03:42 PM

Quote:

Shazam! wrote: (Post 7758619)
As a by-product of the character, possibly, but the stoic outsider getting the girl is as cliché and tired today as your lantern jawed hero getting the girl has ever been.

Did you really expect Star Trek to come up with a completely new approach to love stories? Of course it's all been done before.

Shazam! March 4 2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

The Mirrorball Man wrote: (Post 7758634)
Did you really expect Star Trek to come up with a completely new approach to love stories? Of course it's all been done before.

Oh, well that's okay then.