The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek - Original Series (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   The only unknown actor from TOS... (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=204709)

CrazyMatt February 27 2013 05:45 PM

The only unknown actor from TOS...

... who is she? The world demands to know.

http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/5219/whoisshe.png

Sindatur February 27 2013 05:53 PM

Re: The only unknown actor from TOS...

There is no record of who played Isis the cat as a Human.

TREK_GOD_1 February 27 2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

Sindatur wrote: (Post 7739455)

According to various sources, Isis was portrayed by Victoria Vetri.

Christopher February 27 2013 08:28 PM

Quote:

TREK_GOD_1 wrote: (Post 7739872)
Quote:

She was not. There are no real sources for that. There was one guy on the Internet who suggested it as a possibility, and then some IMDb editor mistook that suggestion for a fact and entered it there as such, and other sites just uncritically repeated what IMDb said without doing any basic fact-checking first. But it's definitely not her. Vetri's face is distinctly different from the actress who played Isis; her features are softer, her eye color is different, and she has a dark speck on the white of one of her eyes that "Isis" did not have.

Greg Cox February 27 2013 08:33 PM

Yeah, the Vetri thing is just a fannish theory that's been repeated so many times now that people take it for granted that it's a fact.

As far as I know, nobody associated with the production of the show has never said anything about Isis being played by Vetri, and Vetri herself has never confirmed it.

Christopher February 27 2013 09:13 PM

And it's worth repeating that the person who made the initial suggestion never claimed it was anything more than speculation.

Pavonis February 27 2013 09:15 PM

Quote:

CrazyMatt wrote: (Post 7739446)
... who is she? The world demands to know.

It would help to know which episode this screencap is from. While my knowledge of TOS is wide, I wouldn't say it's so extensive that I can identify an episode from a single pic.

Christopher February 27 2013 09:19 PM

It took me a moment, but judging from the choker, I'd say she's one of the Scalosians from "Wink of an Eye."

Yep, here she is. The character was called Mira in the Blish adaptation. The performer is unknown, probably just an extra.

TREK_GOD_1 February 27 2013 09:33 PM

Quote:

Christopher wrote: (Post 7740202)
Quote:

TREK_GOD_1 wrote: (Post 7739872)
Quote:

She was not. There are no real sources for that.

Vetri was said to be the actress since the 1970s--the perid where her identity became minor trivia amongst TOS fans. The easiest way to clear that up is to locate the original call sheet for the episode. Obviously,in the pre-internet years, someone had some reason for citing Vetri as the actress.

feek61 February 27 2013 11:16 PM

The woman who played Isis was a former playboy bunny who a few years ago was charged with murdering her husband. I think she is in prison now.

Harvey February 27 2013 11:39 PM

The call sheet, unfortunately, doesn't identify non-speaking or background characters, so it isn't of much use in identifying the character. I waded through the production files for "Assignment: Earth" a while ago and couldn't find anything that named the unbilled performer.

Greg Cox February 27 2013 11:49 PM

Quote:

feek61 wrote: (Post 7741012)
The woman who played Isis was a former playboy bunny who a few years ago was charged with murdering her husband. I think she is in prison now.

That's Victoria Vetri, and again, it's never been confirmed that she played Isis.

This has been hashed out before. As I recall, the whole rumor started because some fan saw a pictorial of Vetri in an old issue of Playboy, thought she looked like Isis, and noted that the timing was more or less right. He posted his theory online, other people ran with it, and pretty soon people who ought to have known better started listing Vetri as Isis in various reference sources. But it was never established by anyone who would know or whom had seen anything official.

In short, we know how this rumor started. And we know that it was just a guess on some fan's part.

(For what it's worth, my girlfriend--who is a professional sculptor specializing in realistic likenesses--has compared Vetri's face to "Isis" and felt sure they weren't the same woman.)

Christopher February 27 2013 11:53 PM

Quote:

TREK_GOD_1 wrote: (Post 7740454)
Vetri was said to be the actress since the 1970s--the perid where her identity became minor trivia amongst TOS fans.

Source? I've been a Trek fan since the '70s, and I don't remember ever hearing that.

marksound February 28 2013 01:57 AM

In 40 years I've never heard that either, then again there's a lot of trivia here that I never knew.

But looking at side by side head shots? Other than the chin dimple there's not much resemblance.

TREK_GOD_1 February 28 2013 03:08 AM

Quote:

Christopher wrote: (Post 7741183)
I've been a Trek fan since the '70s, and I don't remember ever hearing that.

...and? Were you aware of every bit of Trek trivia or discussion held in that decade, or covered every possible subject? You may not have heard of the Vetri story, but others were aware of it.