The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Trek Literature (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   New Frontier Help (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=204472)

NightJim February 25 2013 01:27 PM

New Frontier Help
 
I started reading New Frontier at the start of the year, and is pretty much responsible of reigniting my Star Trek love and me finding this place.

Anyway, just bought books 5 & 6 (Martyr and Fire on High) as well as the graphic novel Double Time because someone had it on Amazon relatively cheap. However, looking on wikipedia I see the Captain's Table and Double Helix books fall between them. How much do I need to worry about them? Is it worth me reading all of Double Helix, or is it even any good?

Thrawn February 25 2013 01:55 PM

Re: New Frontier Help
 
Skip all of the rest of those miniseries and just read the New Frontier entries. Captain's Table books all stand alone anyway, and Double Helix theoretically has an overarching plot but it's really thin and mostly consists of vague foreshadowing for the NF entry anyway.

Read them both like they were just New Frontier books, and you won't miss anything.

(Definitely don't skip the NF entries; they're awesome and pretty essential. Same goes for Gateways later on - you definitely want to read the NF entry, as well as the NF short story in the concluding volume. Bunch of stuff won't make sense without it.)

zarkon February 25 2013 02:13 PM

Re: New Frontier Help
 
^ What Thrawn said

all essential, all awesome. Especially the Captains Table entry.

Thrawn February 25 2013 02:29 PM

Re: New Frontier Help
 
Yeah, the Captain's Table entry is arguably the best book in the whole series.

ryan123450 February 25 2013 03:02 PM

Re: New Frontier Help
 
Well crap I'm reading the Excalibur trilogy now and the only book I skipped was The Captain's Table. I may go back and read it now.

Paris February 25 2013 04:19 PM

Re: New Frontier Help
 
Once Burned, the Captain's Table NF entry, is awesome. It'll answers several questions you may have about Calhoun and his past. Definitely the best of the CT books, and one of the best NF books in general :techman:

NightJim February 25 2013 05:47 PM

Re: New Frontier Help
 
Thanks guys, while the graphic novel might be on a shelf for a while, at least I don't have to be a ton of books just to catch up :)

I know this is looking quite a way forward, but what about the Mirror Universe novels. I would have thought they were completely separate, but wikipedia has them in the main group.

These are actually the first Peter David Star Trek works I've read, having tried a few of the books in the late 90s. Now I wish I had the Imzadis too.

RoJoHen February 25 2013 06:21 PM

Re: New Frontier Help
 
I skipped the Double Helix story when I first read the NF series, and I definitely missed out on some big foreshadowing for a future event.

dansigal February 25 2013 06:25 PM

Re: New Frontier Help
 
Related but independent question. I have been doing my own Trekverse read for the last year or so. I started with the DS9 relaunch, read the first Voyager relaunch and was about to start on the TNG relaunch and Titan into Destiny and beyond, but at the last minute decided to read the "Time To" series first. Now I'm pondering if once I'm done with that I should move on as planned or go back and start NF. I think its something like 18 books of NF to catch up to where the "Time To" series ends. Any suggestions?

zarkon February 25 2013 06:25 PM

Re: New Frontier Help
 
Quote:

NightJim wrote: (Post 7730302)
I know this is looking quite a way forward, but what about the Mirror Universe novels. I would have thought they were completely separate, but wikipedia has them in the main group.

It's been a while, but I don't _think_ they ever tie up to the prime universe, so they're ok to skip. There was a decline in quality following the heady heights of the superb "Stone & Anvil" so I don't remember the plots of the books after that particularly well :/

Quote:

NightJim wrote: (Post 7730302)
These are actually the first Peter David Star Trek works I've read, having tried a few of the books in the late 90s. Now I wish I had the Imzadis too.

Imzadi, Q Squared & A Rock and a Hard Place are must reads. Q in Law & Imzadi 2 are a great deal of fun too(none of his books are bad really, although others disagree when it comes to "Before Dishonour").

Since you're reading through NF, I'd also recommend "Strike Zone", a good romp that introduces a species that gets a fair amount of time in later NF books(by no means is it required reading though, just gives you a fun extra bit of reference).

ryan123450 February 25 2013 07:59 PM

Re: New Frontier Help
 
Quote:

dansigal wrote: (Post 7730407)
Now I'm pondering if once I'm done with that I should move on as planned or go back and start NF. I think its something like 18 books of NF to catch up to where the "Time To" series ends. Any suggestions?

I'd say they are separate from the storyline you are reading. The only time they really intersect is a case where they don't merge well together at all. So it would probably be better if you read them seperately so you won't be as taken aback by the continuity gaffs.

However there is speculation that The Fall miniseries could pick up a plot thread from the latest NF book. If that end's up being the case then that would change my recommendation.

Quote:

zarkon wrote: (Post 7730416)
Since you're reading through NF, I'd also recommend "Strike Zone", a good romp that introduces a species that gets a fair amount of time in later NF books(by no means is it required reading though, just gives you a fun extra bit of reference).

What species is that? I've never read Strike Zone.

Quote:

NightJim wrote: (Post 7730302)
I know this is looking quite a way forward, but what about the Mirror Universe novels. I would have thought they were completely separate, but wikipedia has them in the main group.

The only way in which they connect are the fact that mirror versions of the New Frontier crew are in quite a few Mirror Universe tales.

Thrawn February 25 2013 09:07 PM

Re: New Frontier Help
 
Quote:

dansigal wrote: (Post 7730407)
Related but independent question. I have been doing my own Trekverse read for the last year or so. I started with the DS9 relaunch, read the first Voyager relaunch and was about to start on the TNG relaunch and Titan into Destiny and beyond, but at the last minute decided to read the "Time To" series first. Now I'm pondering if once I'm done with that I should move on as planned or go back and start NF. I think its something like 18 books of NF to catch up to where the "Time To" series ends. Any suggestions?

Don't worry about NF. You can see from the flowchart in my signature that the only places it intersects are Gateways, which is totally skippable, and the Mirror Universe, which actually causes some continuity problems anyway and is thus pretty skippable there too.

There are some references, but nothing too specific. I'd just go through the flowchart starting from A Time To... and keep going on your current plan.

zarkon February 25 2013 09:13 PM

Re: New Frontier Help
 
Quote:

ryan123450 wrote: (Post 7730827)
What species is that? I've never read Strike Zone.



Quote:

Thrawn wrote: (Post 7731124)
Quote:

dansigal wrote: (Post 7730407)
Related but independent question. I have been doing my own Trekverse read for the last year or so. I started with the DS9 relaunch, read the first Voyager relaunch and was about to start on the TNG relaunch and Titan into Destiny and beyond, but at the last minute decided to read the "Time To" series first. Now I'm pondering if once I'm done with that I should move on as planned or go back and start NF. I think its something like 18 books of NF to catch up to where the "Time To" series ends. Any suggestions?

Don't worry about NF. You can see from the flowchart in my signature that the only places it intersects are Gateways, which is totally skippable, and the Mirror Universe, which actually causes some continuity problems anyway and is thus pretty skippable there too.

There are some references, but nothing too specific. I'd just go through the flowchart starting from A Time To... and keep going on your current plan.

one of the final NF books has destiny spoilers mind. I remember someone here got in hot water by saying otherwise a few months back.

dansigal February 25 2013 09:32 PM

Re: New Frontier Help
 
Yeah, I would only read NF through to approximately the time period where Time To ends, and then mix them in chronologically after that. My only concern is that I do want to read the NF at some point (maybe should have said that initially) and I heard there is some NF involvement in Destiny and some of the TNG relaunch stuff.

Thrawn February 25 2013 09:55 PM

Re: New Frontier Help
 
There is, but it's nothing that would spoil the NF series at all. It's just cameos of the ship and captain, nothing important.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.