The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Doctor Who (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Raymond Cusick has died (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=204325)

Candlelight February 24 2013 01:24 AM

Raymond Cusick has died
 
The man who designed the Daleks has passed away. He was 84.

diankra February 24 2013 01:56 AM

Re: Raymond Cusick has died
 
Had some nice bar chats with him at cons. He criticised my 6th form engineering project, in a very constructive way.

The Wormhole February 24 2013 02:34 AM

Re: Raymond Cusick has died
 
Raymond Cusick is very well the guy responsible for for the lasting popularity and success of the Daleks. After all, their look captivated audiences just as much as their stories did. And the basic Dalek design is sound enough that fifty years later and very little has changed. A true masterpiece and one hell of a legacy to leave behind. RIP.

Emh February 24 2013 03:28 AM

Re: Raymond Cusick has died
 
Quote:

The Wormhole wrote: (Post 7722550)
Raymond Cusick is very well the guy responsible for for the lasting popularity and success of the Daleks. After all, their look captivated audiences just as much as their stories did. And the basic Dalek design is sound enough that fifty years later and very little has changed. A true masterpiece and one hell of a legacy to leave behind. RIP.

All of this. Rest in peace, Raymond Cusick.

diankra February 24 2013 05:11 AM

Re: Raymond Cusick has died
 
Oh, got to share this, just came back to me. In the hotel bar at a con, after the bar had closed, I pulled out a hip flask of scotch. Ray Cusick pointed out my mistake: two hips, yet I only had one flask, so we'd run out twice as fast as we would have done if I'd just thought ahead.
Terrific chap.

Cutter John February 24 2013 06:37 AM

Re: Raymond Cusick has died
 
The official BBC News obit.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21563344

sidious618 February 24 2013 06:50 AM

Re: Raymond Cusick has died
 
Talk about a guy who is leaving quite an artistic legacy.

Mr. Adventure February 24 2013 06:53 AM

Re: Raymond Cusick has died
 
So did this guy get royalties on his designs? If not, it's a shame because that's a big part of what makes Daleks so iconic.

Candlelight February 24 2013 09:09 AM

Re: Raymond Cusick has died
 
Would be nice for An Adventure in Space and Time if they could include the famous meeting between Ray and (FX expert) Bill Roberts when he grabs the salt shaker to explain how a Dalek should move...

Orac Zen February 24 2013 09:52 AM

Re: Raymond Cusick has died
 
Quote:

The Wormhole wrote: (Post 7722550)
Raymond Cusick is very well the guy responsible for for the lasting popularity and success of the Daleks. After all, their look captivated audiences just as much as their stories did. And the basic Dalek design is sound enough that fifty years later and very little has changed. A true masterpiece and one hell of a legacy to leave behind. RIP.

Very well said.

RIP.

Redfern February 24 2013 01:11 PM

Re: Raymond Cusick has died
 
Quote:

Mr. Adventure wrote: (Post 7723396)
So did this guy get royalties on his designs? If not, it's a shame because that's a big part of what makes Daleks so iconic.

Alas, no. Being a BBC employee at that time, he was paid the standard salary for his efforts. Terry Nation (whom I think was NOT under BBC contract) was shrewd enough to nogeotiate rights separate from the BBC (hence the reason we almost didn't get the Daleks when the series was revived last decade).

Sincerely,

Bill

Candlelight February 24 2013 08:49 PM

Re: Raymond Cusick has died
 
Quote:

Redfern wrote: (Post 7724188)
Quote:

Mr. Adventure wrote: (Post 7723396)
So did this guy get royalties on his designs? If not, it's a shame because that's a big part of what makes Daleks so iconic.

Alas, no. Being a BBC employee at that time, he was paid the standard salary for his efforts. Terry Nation (whom I think was NOT under BBC contract) was shrewd enough to nogeotiate rights separate from the BBC (hence the reason we almost didn't get the Daleks when the series was revived last decade).

Negotiated by Steven Moffat's mother-in-law.

No, seriously.

diankra February 24 2013 09:21 PM

Re: Raymond Cusick has died
 
Quote:

Candlelight wrote: (Post 7725472)
Quote:

Redfern wrote: (Post 7724188)
Quote:

Mr. Adventure wrote: (Post 7723396)
So did this guy get royalties on his designs? If not, it's a shame because that's a big part of what makes Daleks so iconic.

Alas, no. Being a BBC employee at that time, he was paid the standard salary for his efforts. Terry Nation (whom I think was NOT under BBC contract) was shrewd enough to nogeotiate rights separate from the BBC (hence the reason we almost didn't get the Daleks when the series was revived last decade).

Negotiated by Steven Moffat's mother-in-law.

No, seriously.

Not negotiated. She just crossed out a line in the contract before sending it back, and the BBC accepted it!

Orac February 24 2013 09:40 PM

Re: Raymond Cusick has died
 
I didn't even know he was sick.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.