The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Trek Literature (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Captain Worf of the USS ???? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=204247)

jamiebattell February 23 2013 01:52 AM

Captain Worf of the USS ????
 
The recent trilogy by David Mack talked about Worf being promoted to captain.

How about a new spin-off series, like the Titan, with Worf in charge of a new ship?

Thank you.

The Wormhole February 23 2013 02:16 AM

Re: Captain Worf of the USS ????
 
As I recall, Worf is under consideration to be promoted to captain, though he has no interest in command at the moment.

On a somewhat related note, Michael Dorn does want to do a Captain Worf TV series.

JD February 23 2013 03:37 AM

Re: Captain Worf of the USS ????
 
I don't know if I'd really want to lose another TNG character though. I know Data is back, but there still appears to be some question how big his role in future stories will be, and if he's not around much and Worf is gone then the only TV show characters left are Picard, Crusher, La Forge, and Taurik.

Mage February 23 2013 11:35 AM

Re: Captain Worf of the USS ????
 
My money is still on Worf becoming the new captain of the Enterprise. In David's trilogy, it's made clear that Picard is seriously considering retiring from active duty, because of his family life. Not that that's going to happen within a year or so, but somewhere along the line, he will leave the Enterprise. And Worf, having been the first officer of the E-E for about 5 years now, is the most logical choice, not Data, who's been gone for a few years and is not the same Data that we used to know.

Deranged Nasat February 23 2013 12:13 PM

Re: Captain Worf of the USS ????
 
Quote:

Mage wrote: (Post 7720060)
My money is still on Worf becoming the new captain of the Enterprise. In David's trilogy, it's made clear that Picard is seriously considering retiring from active duty, because of his family life. Not that that's going to happen within a year or so, but somewhere along the line, he will leave the Enterprise. And Worf, having been the first officer of the E-E for about 5 years now, is the most logical choice, not Data, who's been gone for a few years and is not the same Data that we used to know.

Picard's inevitable retirement is being teased out quite a bit. The idea that he was turning the concept over in his head first came up in Paths of Disharmony, and it's been lurking as an ongoing sub-plot in all his appearances since. Although The Cold Equations concluded with the good captain deciding he wasn't quite ready yet, he is going to leave that ship before too long. (Since his next appearance apparently involves teaming up with Garak, I wonder if the Ambassador will convince him to leave Starfleet in favour of diplomacy :D). A Captain Worf relaunch might appeal to DS9 fans as well as TNG fans. :)

Relayer1 February 23 2013 12:20 PM

Re: Captain Worf of the USS ????
 
I see a possible secondment to the Klingon fleet before he takes over the Enterprise (I still think they will tie in or at least try not to contradict Countdown).

I can see Ambassador Picard coming before too long.

JoeZhang February 23 2013 12:50 PM

Re: Captain Worf of the USS ????
 
Quote:

Deranged Nasat wrote: (Post 7720102)

Picard's inevitable retirement is being teased out quite a bit.

I treat that in the same way I treat the "Judge Dredd is passed it" stories that they have been doing in 2000ad for the last... twenty five years.

C.E. Evans February 23 2013 12:57 PM

Re: Captain Worf of the USS ????
 
It's been interesting to see Worf go from a young junior officer to an experienced senior officer over the years. The idea of a Klingon commanding a Federation starship would have been unthinkable during TOS.

As far as the evolution of the TNG crew...I'm really just of the opinion that the Enterprise-E will be around long enough to eventually have a totally different senior staff than the one she started off with. I think that was true for the original Enterprise in which perhaps none of April's original senior staff was around by the time Kirk took over some 20 years later.

F. King Daniel February 23 2013 01:00 PM

Re: Captain Worf of the USS ????
 
They've already contradicted Countdown in how Data was resurrected. I enjoyed Countdown, but I'd like to see the novels tell their own independent version of events surrounding the supernova crisis.

As for Worf, I'm afraid I'm bored of the character, so a Captain Worf series doesn't really appeal to me. And I don't see Picard leaving the Enterprise, simply for the real-life reason that it would potentially screw up the TNG brand, which is still making Pocket Books money (I assume, since they're still making them 11 years after Nemesis!)

Deranged Nasat February 23 2013 01:27 PM

Re: Captain Worf of the USS ????
 
Quote:

King Daniel wrote: (Post 7720153)
They've already contradicted Countdown in how Data was resurrected. I enjoyed Countdown, but I'd like to see the novels tell their own independent version of events surrounding the supernova crisis.

As for Worf, I'm afraid I'm bored of the character, so a Captain Worf series doesn't really appeal to me. And I don't see Picard leaving the Enterprise, simply for the real-life reason that it would potentially screw up the TNG brand, which is still making Pocket Books money (I assume, since they're still making them 11 years after Nemesis!)

Oh, I certainly agree that Fek'lhr will be skating to work before the TNG books sideline Picard in any way, but I truly think Picard himself is more iconic and important to TNG than a starship Enterprise. I could see the books simply switching focus and becoming "the adventures of Ambassador Picard (Professor Picard? Old Man Picard?), Beverly Crusher, and child - also featuring wacky uncle Data and appearances by Captain Worf". ;)

Picard will continue being the star of TNG, no doubt...but will he need to remain on the Enterprise to be so? :)

Infern0 February 23 2013 01:36 PM

Re: Captain Worf of the USS ????
 
Captain Worf and Commander Nog

Hilarity would ensue

BillJ February 23 2013 02:01 PM

Re: Captain Worf of the USS ????
 
Quote:

Deranged Nasat wrote: (Post 7720189)
Oh, I certainly agree that Fek'lhr will be skating to work before the TNG books sideline Picard in any way, but I truly think Picard himself is more iconic and important to TNG than a starship Enterprise. I could see the books simply switching focus and becoming "the adventures of Ambassador Picard (Professor Picard? Old Man Picard?), Beverly Crusher, and child - also featuring wacky uncle Data and appearances by Captain Worf". ;)

Picard will continue being the star of TNG, no doubt...but will he need to remain on the Enterprise to be so? :)

The above ever happens and they can count me out as a buyer on TNG books. The Enterprise is still an important part of the series for this reader.

Markonian February 23 2013 02:18 PM

Re: Captain Worf of the USS ????
 
A Captain Worf series seems unlikely to me. Except TTN, only TV-based series are still ongoing. If it was viable to feature Captain Worf, we'd also have Star Trek: Challenger (Captain La Forge), Star Trek: Aventine and Klingon Empire and Corps of Engineers would still be running.

zarkon February 23 2013 02:41 PM

Re: Captain Worf of the USS ????
 
If worf is captain does that mean the ship gets denied

Therin of Andor February 24 2013 03:47 AM

Re: Captain Worf of the USS ????
 
Quote:

King Daniel wrote: (Post 7720153)
They've already contradicted Countdown in how Data was resurrected.

Are you sure?

"Countdown" was deliberately vague, with readers assuming that Data's memories had somehow asserted themselves over the B-4's. But a short story tie-in to "Star Trek Online" in "Star Trek Magazine" threw a new complication to all that - and I thought David Mack's recent novels married up well with that new information.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.