The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   General Trek Discussion (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Are gold shirts more dangerous than red shirts? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=204232)

RAMA February 23 2013 12:10 AM

Are gold shirts more dangerous than red shirts?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...an-red-shirts/

Well bust my buttons...

RAMA

Captain Rob February 23 2013 12:20 AM

Re: Are gold shirts more dangerous than red shirts?

It would seem to make sense that if the enemy knows that the gold shirts are in charge. Always shoot the gold shirts. That's why the officers in real life dress like the enlisted out in the field. Plus they wear low visibility rank insignia. And saluting is a no no in a warzone.

Lance February 23 2013 02:45 AM

That site said:

Quote:

The redshirt rule never applied to Scotty.
So The Changeling doesn't count? Oh sure, he came back to life... but still, so did confirmed red-shirts Galloway and Leslie. :p

C.E. Evans February 23 2013 03:37 AM

I think someone once said it best--during a landing party that goes south with Kirk, Chekov, and a red shirt, which one of these three isn't coming back to the ship?
;)

JirinPanthosa February 23 2013 05:36 AM

I just remember that episode with the doomsday machine. Kirk sent a red shirt alone with the machine. Machine vaporizes red shirt. Kirk says "That was bad! Don't do that again!" Sends another red shirt alone with the doomsday machine. Doomsday machine vaporizes red shirt.

Maybe goldshirts have a higher fatality rate, but redshirts clearly have less value to the captain.

Nerys Myk February 23 2013 06:27 AM

It probably wasn't the Doomsday Machine, as that was big enough to swallow a starship whole.

ZapBrannigan February 23 2013 06:28 AM

Quote:

JirinPanthosa wrote: (Post 7719502)
I just remember that episode with the doomsday machine. Kirk sent a red shirt alone with the machine. Machine vaporizes red shirt. Kirk says "That was bad! Don't do that again!" Sends another red shirt alone with the doomsday machine. Doomsday machine vaporizes red shirt.

Maybe goldshirts have a higher fatality rate, but redshirts clearly have less value to the captain.

You mean Nomad?

Timo February 25 2013 01:16 PM

...And give it due credit - it vaporized two red shirts both times!

I wonder where the statistician behind the linked article got his data on how many people out of Kirk's 430 total wore red? Onscreen evidence isn't conclusive on that.

Timo Saloniemi

C.E. Evans February 25 2013 07:50 PM

Quote:

Timo wrote: (Post 7729615)
I wonder where the statistician behind the linked article got his data on how many people out of Kirk's 430 total wore red? Onscreen evidence isn't conclusive on that.

He based it on his own observations of TOS and applied a probability formula to determine that there were 239 red shirts aboard Kirk's Enterprise.

blueshirt February 25 2013 10:58 PM

As long as blue shirts are still the safest, I'm happy.

I did always feel sorry for the engineers and Uhura, though. They should have been able to wear green so that no lethal enemy ever confused them with security.

Timo February 26 2013 09:16 AM

A smart lethal enemy would concentrate on engineers, though. It's not as if Security would provide him with enough of a challenge or threat anyway.

Timo Saloniemi

blueshirt March 5 2013 01:30 AM

That's true. TOS always gave me the impression that you needed to be genuinely smart to be a science officer, engineer, or navigator but that pretty much anyone could qualify for Starfleet security.